Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Does DTV *ever* repair and return a DVR?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   cigar95

cigar95

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

A lot of us have been hanging on to the idea that someday D* will allow us to use any HDD on any HR within an account.  Seems so simple, yet we've been ignored for years.  Meanwhile, we've suffered thru some terrible periods because people wanted changes made for other reasons.  For instance, the DLB issue was discussed for a very long time in a sticky thread and all the people that wanted them got them.  And the rest of us suffered.  I can't begin to imagine what kind of problems the HDD issue would cause or how long it would take D* to get that working correctly.  We really have to be careful what we wish for.

Rich

Rich, I wasn't part of that detailed discussion, although I remember the longing for DLB.

Are you saying that the implementation of DLB messed up other things that already worked, or that the time and effort that went into that feature took away from work that could have been done on other aspects of the system that were of more interest to other customers?

It seems odd that DTV has left the external HDD hanging as a working-but-unsupported feature for so many years without doing anything about it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

I've actually replaced several power supply boards in 24s.  I think the 23s have the same setup as the 24s in regard to the power supplies and they can be replaced.  But why bother?  I'd get rid of that dreadful 23 and step up to a 24 or a Genie.

Rich

cause I cant remember what series links i have on it or what shows are on it

hoping to repair and get access to all of it as long as it doesn't reformat once I repair

Edited by loveshockey, 18 July 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Rich, I wasn't part of that detailed discussion, although I remember the longing for DLB.

Are you saying that the implementation of DLB messed up other things that already worked, or that the time and effort that went into that feature took away from work that could have been done on other aspects of the system that were of more interest to other customers?

It seems odd that DTV has left the external HDD hanging as a working-but-unsupported feature for so many years without doing anything about it.

The implementation of DLBs really screwed things up, much as the HD Guide did.  

I think we are better off with the eSATA feature being unsupported.  We know what works now and I don't think we  want D* telling us or suggesting what we have to use.  They've already made suggestions that I disagree with.

Rich

#44 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

cause I cant remember what series links i have on it or what shows are on it

hoping to repair and get access to all of it as long as it doesn't reformat once I repair

If you change out power supplies the 23 shouldn't reformat.  Check out 23s on eBay and find one that's for parts and if the price is right and the seller says it works or at least the front panel comes on, you should find a working PS inside it.  Swapping out a 24's is actually quite simple, never tried it with a 23.  I should also comment on the 24-100s: I don't see how to easily swap out PSs on them.  The 24-500s are quite simple to fix.  I've had a couple 24-200s open and it looks like an easy swap there too.  Even putting a 2TB drive in a 24-100 is hard.  

Rich

#45 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:16 PM

If you change out power supplies the 23 shouldn't reformat.  Check out 23s on eBay and find one that's for parts and if the price is right and the seller says it works or at least the front panel comes on, you should find a working PS inside it.  Swapping out a 24's is actually quite simple, never tried it with a 23.  I should also comment on the 24-100s: I don't see how to easily swap out PSs on them.  The 24-500s are quite simple to fix.  I've had a couple 24-200s open and it looks like an easy swap there too.  Even putting a 2TB drive in a 24-100 is hard.  

Rich

located one, but the guy says the fan works, but thats about it...

what's your opinion on the viability of the PS?

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

located one, but the guy says the fan works, but thats about it...

what's your opinion on the viability of the PS?

Ask him if the front panel lights come on when it's powered up.  If not, don't buy it.  The fan gets it's power from a connection on the motherboard, not the PS.

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

Ask him if the front panel lights come on when it's powered up. If not, don't buy it. The fan gets it's power from a connection on the motherboard, not the PS.

Rich

Right, but that only indicates the motherboard is bad, not the power supply. The fan still has to get the power from the PS, it just goes though the MB. Otherwise the fan wouldn't work either.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#48 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

LOL, just occurred to me in regards to the OP, that if a (if they still did it) Plutonium level customer wanted an HDDDVR fixed instead of replaced, DirecTV might find a way to do it, especially if they are already doing it for the top officers and stockholders of the company.

RHIP

#49 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:42 PM

I have "repaired" several DirecTV receivers with just such symptoms.  As it turned out, there was nothing wrong with the power supply BUT the plastic connector that the power cord plugs into came loose from the circuit board due to poor soldering and also poor anchoring of the connector.  A few solder tracks on a circuit board are no match for someone forcefully shoving in a power cord or yanking it out.  Both of these scenarios were with "reconditioned" receivers I got from DirecTV.  That was probably the reason they were returned.  On the test bench for just a few minutes the connector probably made contact so out the door they went.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and working with circuit boards it's possible your problem can be fixed.  To see if this is the issue, wiggle the power cord with the unit on and see if it fails.  If it does and you do not want to tackle it yourself a local fixit shop can probably patch it up.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#50 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Right, but that only indicates the motherboard is bad, not the power supply. The fan still has to get the power from the PS, it just goes though the MB. Otherwise the fan wouldn't work either.

You'd think so, but I've seen things differently.  The HDDs will also spin with a bad PS.  I don't pretend to know why, I just know what I've seen and I've seen both the fan spin (they won't come fully up to speed, but they do spin a bit) and the HDD spin and the front panel lights were out.  Replacing the PS made the HR work properly again.  In other words, there was nothing wrong with the motherboard.

Rich

#51 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 July 2013 - 10:56 AM

LOL, just occurred to me in regards to the OP, that if a (if they still did it) Plutonium level customer wanted an HDDDVR fixed instead of replaced, DirecTV might find a way to do it, especially if they are already doing it for the top officers and stockholders of the company.

RHIP

Dream on.  

Rich

#52 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

If I was CFO of DirecTV and my HR24 croaked, methinks somebody in the tech division might be motivated to resurrect my hard drive with all those episodes of My Mother the Car I haven't watched yet.

And if I am CFO, wouldn't that be a great perk to pass out to my (deserving) golfing buddies ??

!rolling

#53 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

If I was CFO of DirecTV and my HR24 croaked, methinks somebody in the tech division might be motivated to resurrect my hard drive with all those episodes of My Mother the Car I haven't watched yet.

And if I am CFO, wouldn't that be a great perk to pass out to my (deserving) golfing buddies ??

!rolling

It's also a great way for an executive to get in a lot of trouble.  The part about giving his friends perks would be an act of stupidity.

Rich 

#54 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

But Ann Southern voiced the car !!!

#55 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I managed to move a confirmed working PS from one HR23-700 to the bad HR23-700, but no lights come on and the fan still just twitches ever so slightly...

Am I right in thinking that something on the motherboard is broken?

#56 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

Yes that would certainly be my guess.
HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#57 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

I managed to move a confirmed working PS from one HR23-700 to the bad HR23-700, but no lights come on and the fan still just twitches ever so slightly...

Am I right in thinking that something on the motherboard is broken?

How was it confirmed?  Still shows the symptoms of a bad PS.

Rich

#58 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

How was it confirmed?  Still shows the symptoms of a bad PS.

Rich

I took it out of a working HR23-700

#59 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

The motherboard gets the power from the power supply and has the processor/logic that controls the fan, lights, HDD, etc.

Edited by harperhometheater, 25 July 2013 - 11:55 AM.

HarperVision, LLC
Repairs & Consultations

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,600 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:06 PM

I took it out of a working HR23-700

Guess it is the motherboard.  Too bad.