Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper, Joey Reboot problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   garywiley

garywiley

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

Help. I had a 1 Hopper and 3 Joey system installed on May 1st. From the beginning, the Joey in my kitchen has behaved badly. It requires rebooting at least once a day. I have had 9 service calls to correct the problem, without success. I’ve had my Hopper replaced, 3 Joey’s replaced and finally got another Hopper to replace the problem Joey. They rewired the system numerous times. I had an NIC installed, but removed it because of system instability. I tried a USB wireless adapter, but it caused system instability. Finally, I removed my external hard drive. I have swapped the Joeys, but the problem remained in the kitchen.
My new Hopper in the kitchen requires a reboot every morning. Once the reboot is done the system works flawlessly.
I posted several messages on this forum and sent a PM to DIRT, but received no help.
When I call Dish tech. support, their solution is to schedule a service call. The techs do their best, but have little support from Dish. They swap boxes and pull wire.
The only thing that has not been replaced is the satellite dish.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Try to investigate overheating possibility. We have a lot of discussion about it. Read these threads/posts. Perhaps vertical position will be better... Post your J/H temperatures too.

#3 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:28 PM

Is there a place on them that gives the temp readings?

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:33 PM

See my other posts with a picture of J - temp sensor [LM75] sit next to CPU if draw a line from CPU to J1 [smart card connector].

#5 OFFLINE   garywiley

garywiley

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

Since this problem appears on 3 separate Joey's and a Hopper all located in my Kitchen, I doubt it is a heat issue. I mounted my Joey's vertically when I got them.

#6 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 518 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

They ran new wires to your kitchen? Something is going on with your kitchen if that is the only place boxes are having problems. Are they enclosed?

#7 OFFLINE   garywiley

garywiley

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

They ran 2 wires to the kitchen from outside the house.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,706 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:15 PM

RF leaking from microwave oven ?

#9 OFFLINE   Wire Nut

Wire Nut

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

RF leaking from microwave oven ?

This is possible, or some other electrical problem such as a malfunctioning GFCI receptacle or loose neutral. Really tough to diagnose this sort of thing without actually being there and seeing the entire scope of the system. If the equipment and cable have been replaced the problem must be with the power or EMI, unless the techs didn't replace something which seems much more likely. I would recommend seeking a second opinion, if you've been just calling Dish call a local retailer instead.

#10 OFFLINE   garywiley

garywiley

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

I tried a different power supply with no success.

spam firewall