Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC skips tribute piece in Olympics Opening Ceremony

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,381 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

I don't think people realize how much money is involved in the Olympics. A bidding war goes on over TV rights world wide and many billions of dollars are involved.

I long for the days when we had our C-band dish and watched open CBC coverage. It was great, balanced coverage with no jingoistic rhetoric. Today, of course, a privately-owned commercial network, CTV, won the bidding war and is providing coverage in Canada. My guess is that while it is neither as obnoxious nor as thorough as NBC, it would not remind me of the CBC coverage.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,564 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:49 PM

Then let PBS have the rights :)

And who pays the $1.18 B for the rights to air the game? A special tax bond? (That is before paying to produce and air the games.) It would also be a very limited coverage. One HD channel?

BTW: NBC has the broadcast rights through 2020.

#23 OFFLINE   Alebob911

Alebob911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,579 posts
  • LocationCERES,CA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

Just watch the 3D broadcast and you can see exactly what was cut from the NBC 2D broadcast.

I too am watching the 3D broadcast and saw it.

#24 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:29 AM

It was a joke. Seriously, however, its a shame the other major countries dont have to put up with the nonsense you Olympic fans are putting up with. I watched Nascar.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#25 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

I long for the days when we had our C-band dish and watched open CBC coverage.

Hint: Satmex. Mucho Espanol :)
Hint2 if you can see the bird: Intelsat at 20W...Full international feeds in HD.

Edit: See you are in Cali...guess you can ignore the sat at 20W :) Might check out the Pacific birds.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#26 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:07 AM

Why would these particular Olympics make any reference to a 40 year old terrorist attack? Except to satisfy the incessant din from the Israelis for "special" attention and consideration.

The 7/7 attack came as a direct response to London landing these games. It happened in LONDON. The Olympics are in LONDON. The opening ceremony was about English history featuring London as the centerpiece. It's fully relevant. The Israeli event is ancient history which happened long ago and far away. It had more than sufficient coverage at the time, and over the subsequent years. Trotting it out yet again at an incongruous venue smacks far more of politics than humanitarianism.

The whining comment made about including it by the American bobblehead Friday night was bizarre and oddly contentious, almost like he was pushing an agenda. But how could that be?

#27 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

I managed to find a good torrent of the BBC broadcast - the whole ceremony, start to end with no commercials. Extra Arctic Monkeys song, the Frankie and June number was about 4 times longer than NBC showed, and there we're a bunch of other items you missed in the NBC one.

And while the BBC commentators only seemed to have the runs and needed only a little bit of Kaopectate for the mouth, it was nothing like the explosive diaherria of the mouth that the NBC announcers seemed to be suffering.

If you think you were pissed at NBC's coverage before, you'll be even more upset at NBC once you see the BBC broadcast.

#28 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

I don't understand why important events like this can't be shown commercial-free.

A. It isn't important.

B. Money Rules All. All Hail the Great Money. Thou Shalt Not Slight the Mighty Money.

As to whatever it is that seems to have people's panties all bunched up ...... anything that even MIGHT have caused any kind of controversy should not have been included at all. This is about playing games, but not playing mind games.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#29 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:40 AM

I managed to find a good torrent of the BBC broadcast - the whole ceremony, start to end with no commercials. Extra Arctic Monkeys song, the Frankie and June number was about 4 times longer than NBC showed, and there we're a bunch of other items you missed in the NBC one.

And while the BBC commentators only seemed to have the runs and needed only a little bit of Kaopectate for the mouth, it was nothing like the explosive diaherria of the mouth that the NBC announcers seemed to be suffering.

If you think you were pissed at NBC's coverage before, you'll be even more upset at NBC once you see the BBC broadcast.

Agreed, it would have been nice to hear the music that the announcers were telling us was playing. I do believe I could have recognized The Rolling Stones and Kinks without some self-centered announcer describing how she remembered them playing in her youth. I wonder how those at the ceremony knew what was going on without such announcers to describe the event in such complete and sickening detail.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#30 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,721 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:09 AM

A. It isn't important.

B. Money Rules All. All Hail the Great Money. Thou Shalt Not Slight the Mighty Money.

As to whatever it is that seems to have people's panties all bunched up ...... anything that even MIGHT have caused any kind of controversy should not have been included at all. This is about playing games, but not playing mind games.

Someone can make some sort of controversy about a lot of the ceremony, including the Industrial Revolution, National Health Service, Rowan Atkinson, the Queen stunt double etc etc. The Beijing ceremony was very highly regarded, but extremely controversial. But if the test is, could it possibly cause any sort of controversy, there always will be some group that would oblige.

#31 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:21 AM

Funny, if I hadn't seen this thread I wouldn't know there was a controversy at all. Doesn't seem to me like a big outrage except right here.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#32 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,469 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Funny, if I hadn't seen this thread I wouldn't know there was a controversy at all. Doesn't seem to me like a big outrage except right here.

Don;t read the news, huh?
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#33 OFFLINE   tenholde

tenholde

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:31 AM

I don't understand why important events like this can't be shown commercial-free. Or why anything needed to be cut or compressed (like the Parade of Nations) if it wasn't live anyway.

Commercial free? You are kidding, right? What do you think is paying for all of that 'free' streaming you have access to on all of your digital devices, much less the 'on air' broadcast themselves?

#34 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

I read the news but this is a small controversy, played large here and elsewhere on the Internet. It only has legs because it fits into people's preconceived notions: "NBC is liberal so they left out a tribute to the dead." - and - "Americans are insensitive and self centered so they don't care about the rest of the world."

Do I really need to point out that both opinions are oversimplifications of reality?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#35 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,793 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

I certainly do. That was my point, I only heard about this here so clearly it's not some huge world outrage thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#36 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:48 AM

I certainly do. That was my point, I only heard about this here so clearly it's not some huge world outrage thing.

Well, we are the only country to omit the broadcasted tribute. It has been featured in the news here, substantially so.

#37 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

Seems to me some folks are looking too hard for something to be offended about.

Personally, I nodded off right after the US team came into the stadium. :zzz:

#38 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

I don't watch network news, but I haven't see any mention of it (yet) on the web news pages. But then again, I have anything sports related more or less excluded.

http://www.dbstalk.c...line=1303912720

Seems to me some folks are looking too hard for something to be offended about.

Exactamundo Kimmosabee.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#39 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

I don't watch network news, but I haven't see any mention of it (yet) on the web news pages. But then again, I have anything sports related more or less excluded.

https://www.google.c...iw=1366&bih=650

2,480 results there. Many others that aren't captured.

#40 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:33 AM

Commercial free? You are kidding, right? What do you think is paying for all of that 'free' streaming you have access to on all of your digital devices, much less the 'on air' broadcast themselves?

Ah, the monthly subscription fee perhaps? Surely that could cover a 4 hour show. Since it was delayed, they could have even showed the commercials without cutting out any of the ceremony.

spam firewall