Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC 2012 Olympics Coverage

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

So what does everything think of the Opening Ceremonies so far?

Nothing? Oh, silly me. What was I thinking? Americans can't view the opening ceremonies for hours, even though they are happening right now!

Edited by gusmahler, 27 July 2012 - 02:27 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

So what does everything think of the Opening Ceremonies so far?

Nothing. Oh, silly me. What was I thinking? Americans can't view the opening ceremonies for hours, even though they are happening right now!

The changeover from rural Britain to the Industrial Revolution was pretty cool

#3 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:25 PM

Well... there is another way of looking at that. Chances are high that some people can't see it at night because they work in a restaurant or store or some other evening job, and they watch it in the afternoon. Similarly plenty of people work in the day time and can't see it in the afternoon.

If you have ONE showing, you can get say.... 10 million viewers. If you have TWO showings, maybe you will get 7 Million viewers in the afternoon, and 5 million viewers at night, effectively having 12 Million viewers watch your commercials.

A lot more people work during the daytime than at night. You can't really play to all of them for an event like the Olympics. Again, it's not about AN event. It's easy to think that way once, but you have to think about 16 days of competition. You're already splitting your audience into lots of lots across multiple networks, so to split it up further is not going to help, in primetime which is your 1 main gathering point where the sponsors are paying for their biggest audience. And you're not getting that on a weekday afternoon. I know those are completely theoretical numbers but there is ZERO chance you're drawing more people in the afternoon than you would in the evening. Even in Canada that's not the case.

Also, LIVE viewing promotes commercial viewing. So the 7 million watching it in the afternoon will see the commercials for sure, or at least the majority.

See, if the event is going to be tape-delayed anyways, and another 3 hours on top of that, I might as well make that 4 hours, watch some other DVR'd Olympics, and not watch ANY commercials on NBC whatsoever. I think with the live showing, they would actually get more commercial viewers. Delay is delay, for those with a DVR it then doesn't matter anymore your build in your own delay to prevent commercial watching.

Here's the thing though.. people are stupid. I forget what the numbers are, but there are a lot of folks out there who had HD equipment but don't realize they're not actually watching in HD. Just like folks with DVRs don't always skip through the commercials. Primetime may be taped, but NBC has long treated it (and many viewers view it) as if it's live, even though we all know it's not. And where you make the delay argument.. I have a few friends who will tune into a football game half an hour after the start and skip through the commercials, so by the end they're caught up.

And that might also be a very compelling reason - especially in weekends - to show important stuff live.

For myself, in 2010/2008, I watched stuff live IF it was live (and thus saw commercials). If it was delayed in any way, I just added my own DVR delay and watched NO commercials whatsoever.

That's probably because you're not an idiot. You know how to seek these things out discern what's live and what isn't. But you still need an audience in front of their televisions in the first place. Americans aren't familiar enough with most of the sports and athletes they see in the Olympics that they're going to be naturally drawn to it. So if people only have 3 or 4 hours to devote to the Olympics, your best bet to get them is in primetime and they may still tune in at 8 and be there for the commercials. And if not, you always have online coverage as an alternate which wasn't there in 2008/2010.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#4 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

Not that any of you can actually read this.... but an article in DUTCH on how remarkable it is that the U.S. will be one of the FEW that is not allowed to watch the Opening Ceremony live.

http://www.rtl.nl/co...kaanse_buis.xml

Here is one in English on the Huff Post.

Our neighbors to the North.... are watching it live.

http://www.huffingto..._ref=technology
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#5 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

I disagree. Speaking as someone who watched all of his gold medals wins in 2008, I didn't see a single qualifying heat. What's the point? Everyone knows he's going to make the final. The top competitors don't even try that hard in qualifying heats (e.g., you'll see Usain Bolt pull up 20 m from the finish because he already knows he's going to finish high enough to get to the finals.) (Here's a Usain Bolt qualifying heat from the 2011 World Championships. Not exactly exciting. )

There are still plenty of people out there who can't get enough of Phelps, even if it's in a prelim where he's going to give less than 100% effort and still win fairly handily anyway. But again, if you give viewers reason and opportunity to skip qualifying rounds, then that extra bump of viewers you might get from having live coverage is going to get wasted away from those who won't be there for the heats.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#6 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:32 PM

Even in Canada that's not the case.

Canada, however, is broadcasting both the swimming events and the Opening Ceremony live across the entire nation.

The United States is the only Western country (that I can find) that refuses to show the Opening Ceremony live.

Also.... reports are that NBC already sold well over a billion dollars in advertising, and they are still selling more.

http://www.nbcsandie...-163805016.html

It also cost them a billion dollars to show it of course. Did they just overpay, and are they trying to make up for it by not showing events live? I know it is important to come out ahead, but.... not showing even the Opening Ceremony live is actually quite insulting, and makes the U.S. the laughing stock among Western nations right about now.

And if not, you always have online coverage as an alternate which wasn't there in 2008/2010.

Oh, please enlighten me WHERE NBC is streaming the Opening Ceremony right now.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#7 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:35 PM

Looks great so far. I loved the Daniel Craig bit!
DTV = Digital Television

#8 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

And so.... my social media ban has begun. Getting tweets from my family and friends in Holland and Canada about the Opening Ceremony.

I would tune in, but.....well.... I live in this country that doesn't allow it.

I am the Stig.

#9 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

It's pretty sad. Why can't NBC provide a live stream to a live event they are covering? Then viewers would have to sit through the online commercials. Well I'm recording it tonight and will watch it an hour or two later so I can SKIP through all their stupid commercials!! Another fail for NBC :mad:
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#10 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

British children's literature segment looks wonderful.
DTV = Digital Television

#11 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

British children's literature segment looks wonderful.

I guess you want us to ignore this topic too for the time being hmm? Well so be it. See ya all later tonight when I watched the full 1080p BBC version. :D

I am the Stig.

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,907 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

It's like an Olympic competition in here... a Nerd-off! Who can find the geekiest way to watch the Opening Ceremonies. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#13 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Rowan Atkinson was pretty funny

#14 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

The changeover from rural Britain to the Industrial Revolution was pretty cool

Yes agree, but that's about it. Everything else after that have been pretty boring and subpar so far, in my opinion.

Edited by mrlqban, 27 July 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

I thought the part where the Queen wrapped her legs around McCartney was in poor taste. But I was always more of a Lennon fan.

#16 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:12 PM

Tim Berners-Lee? I thought Al Gore invented the WWW?

#17 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

lol, I guess you need to stop watching MSNBC. Al Gore invented Global Warming too right?

#18 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

From reading about the Opening Ceremonies from people in civilized countries, looks like I'm not missing much. Maybe NBC is actually trying to save Americans . . . Nah, they hate us.

#19 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Berners-Lee invented the WWW. Gore invented the Internet. You need to get your facts straight. ;)

#20 ONLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

I thought the part where the Queen wrapped her legs around McCartney was in poor taste. But I was always more of a Lennon fan.

Wrapping her legs around Lennon would be even more bad taste.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall