Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC 2012 Olympics Coverage

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hockey_puck

hockey_puck

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

My sympathy to all those who are not close enough to the border to get the CTV live broadcast with next to no commercials from Canada.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:36 PM

From reading about the Opening Ceremonies from people in civilized countries, looks like I'm not missing much. Maybe NBC is actually trying to save Americans . . . Nah, they hate us.

Everyone will have their own opinion but I cant tell you this. Only the first 15min of the ceremony was spectacular. Everything after that have been boring for me. Unless they pull something spectacular for the lighting of the couldron, this ceremony will be critized bad, really bad.

#23 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Frankly, from the rehearsal clips us Yanks (is that like "wanks"?) got to see with tykes bouncing on beds and dancing milkmaids, I'm getting nostalgic for...

Posted Image
...Wenlock and Mandeville!

#24 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

It also cost them a billion dollars to show it of course. Did they just overpay, and are they trying to make up for it by not showing events live? I know it is important to come out ahead, but.... not showing even the Opening Ceremony live is actually quite insulting, and makes the U.S. the laughing stock among Western nations right about now.

It's extremely insulting and trust me, I'm with you that NBC got this one wrong (as I watch a stream from BBC). They're doing what generates the most revenue from the advertisers paying to air their spots during coverage. If NBC paid nothing, would they be trying any less hard to maximize their revenue? Has nothing to do with what they paid. Ask the folks north of the border who lost money on Vancouver about over-paying.

And again.. see what I'm saying about the ad money? Beijing had a decent amount of live coverage in primetime where London has absolutely none. And yet these Olympics are generating MORE in ad sales than Beijing did. So tell us why NBC's business strategy is failing? The amount in rights fees for London was locked in 9 years ago. An over-bid for sure, but very little of what has happened since would be different otherwise.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#25 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I don't think anyone here is saying that NBC's refusal to air the Opening Ceremonies live is a negative to them *financially*. We're just saying that it's stupid from a technological point of view and ignores the realities of today.

E.g., the most hyped rivalry of the Olympics is Lochte/Phelps. They're first competition against each happens to be tomorrow, the first full day of competition.

In fact, the finals of the 400 IM is around 11:30 am PDT. Guess what NBC will be showing at 12:30 pm PDT? Swimming. But not the 400 IM finals. The qualifying races for them. They won't be showing the finals until prime time. Over on the west coast, that means we won't see until 8+ hours after it already happened. After Twitter and Facebook and ESPN and all the non-NBC news program will have already told us who won. It's absurd.

Yes, I can watch the race live online. But I can't watch it on my rock solid, satellite HD connection. I have to watch it on my computer via an intermittent, crappy cable modem that dies all the time.

#26 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:06 PM

There are still plenty of people out there who can't get enough of Phelps, even if it's in a prelim where he's going to give less than 100% effort and still win fairly handily anyway. But again, if you give viewers reason and opportunity to skip qualifying rounds, then that extra bump of viewers you might get from having live coverage is going to get wasted away from those who won't be there for the heats.

IIRC, the prime time shows never show the qualifying, only the finals. I know that on Saturday, they will be showing the qualifying for the 400IM in a separate show at 12:30 pm PDT, while the finals will be shown on Prime Time (8+ hours after the race)

#27 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,207 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

So what does everything think of the Opening Ceremonies so far?

Nothing? Oh, silly me. What was I thinking? Americans can't view the opening ceremonies for hours, even though they are happening right now!

Like a number of Americans, I work during the time when the opening ceremony would have been carried live so I'm not sure how many people are going to care and that is the only thing NBC cares about - Number of eyes in front of the TV.

If you are/were able to enjoy them live, enjoy!!

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#28 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

I guess I better keep the battery on my iPad fully charged as it looks like it will be doing a lot of mirroring to the Apple TV and Big Screen.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#29 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Like a number of Americans, I work during the time when the opening ceremony would have been carried live so I'm not sure how many people are going to care and that is the only thing NBC cares about - Number of eyes in front of the TV.

If you are/were able to enjoy them live, enjoy!!

People in Canada work as well. They just offer the OPTION of live coverage, and repeat it at night for those who work.

NBC doesn't even offer an online stream.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#30 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:52 PM

Yep, was going to say the same thing. On their website, they brag that they stream *every* event live. But they don't mention that they aren't streaming the Opening Ceremonies.

#31 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Yep, was going to say the same thing. On their website, they brag that they stream *every* event live. But they don't mention that they aren't streaming the Opening Ceremonies.

That's why I was upset at this. Their advertising was something like "if cameras are on it, we'll stream it." Pretty sure there are cameras here and it's a lame excuse for them to say it won't translate well online.

I understand them not showing it on TV live, I have no problem with that whatsoever. But if they're showing everything else live online, why not the ceremonies. And apparently some have already taken note..
NBC ripped for not livestreaming opening ceremony of Olympics
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#32 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,207 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:18 PM

People in Canada work as well. They just offer the OPTION of live coverage, and repeat it at night for those who work.

NBC doesn't even offer an online stream.

CBC is a government owned network (we won't even get in to that Canada is considered to be an independent commonwealth where Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state) so profits really don't matter.

NBC & their affiliates are not government owned and must make a profit to survive. As an affiliate, do I want to give up 4 hours of my programming day & ad spots for a small group of people to watch the opening ceremonies live?

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#33 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

That's why I was upset at this. Their advertising was something like "if cameras are on it, we'll stream it." Pretty sure there are cameras here and it's a lame excuse for them to say it won't translate well online.

I understand them not showing it on TV live, I have no problem with that whatsoever. But if they're showing everything else live online, why not the ceremonies. And apparently some have already taken note..
NBC ripped for not livestreaming opening ceremony of Olympics

There is no excuse for not showing it live online when they are showing everything else online. This has to be the stupidest thing any producer has ever done in the history of mankind.

#34 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,720 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:38 PM

There is no excuse for not showing it live online when they are showing everything else online. This has to be the stupidest thing any producer has ever done in the history of mankind.

Not even close. I won't even mention Heidi!:sure: Or dozens of other boneheaded moves over the decades.

You don't like it, but you're in no position to look at real numbers, with real analysts to make the call as to what's smart or not from the producer's viewpoint.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#35 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Not even close. I won't even mention Heidi!:sure: Or dozens of other boneheaded moves over the decades.

You don't like it, but you're in no position to look at real numbers, with real analysts to make the call as to what's smart or not from the producer's viewpoint.

just tell us one reason this makes sense...

#36 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

just tell us one reason this makes sense...

The Golden Rule. He who owned the gold make the rule.:)

#37 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Matt Lauer needs a muzzle.
DTV = Digital Television

#38 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 811 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

All I could think of in the beginning was that Middle Earth sprung up in the middle of the stadium and Frodo, Gandolf and Bilbo were going to pop out of a hole somewhere.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#39 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,642 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

All I could think of in the beginning was that Middle Earth sprung up in the middle of the stadium and Frodo, Gandolf and Bilbo were going to pop out of a hole somewhere.

Game of Thrones.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#40 OFFLINE   facerw

facerw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

What gets me is every internet feed which either carried or had the opening ceremonies have been blocked. Why? I don't want to wait to see the ceremonies in a tape delay.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...