Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC 2012 Olympics Coverage

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#561 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

They don't. But for any of the major sports in the U.S., finals of every type, local affiliates will happily move aside. If a baseball game runs past 11PM, the local news will simply have to wait. A game starts at 5? No problem, the news will be postponed till after.

Happily? There's nothing happy about an affiliate moving programming aside like that. And the East coast affiliates generally don't like going late either. Did you see the clip of a news anchor, I think it was in Jacksonville, going off on NBC and Costas for running a few minutes long on primetime? The worst is baseball because the end time of those games is so volatile and that's bad for local news. Again, that local programming is extremely important to affiliates and the biggest benefit they get from airing these events is the lead-in they get to their local programming, not always how many people are watching the national event itself.

The Olympics could have easily adopted this schedule:

West Coast:
3:00 National News. (match EDT)
4:00 Olympic Zone.
4:30 Olympic Coverage (match EDT)
9:00 Local News. (to make up for 5:00 miss)
9:35 Olympic Late Night
11:00 Repeat Olympics Coverage, 4:30-5:30 hour.
12:00 Local News.
12:35 Repeat rest of Olympics Coverage.

My point is.... if they PLANNED it well they could have given local news in the west a PRIME TIME spot in exchange for NATIONWIDE coverage, and I believe they would still be able to make a profit.

There's nothing easy about that for an affiliate. News at 3pm? That's not going to be as profitable as news at 5pm in the usual slot. And if Olympic ratings aren't going to be hurt by the delay (which it seems like they're not), then affiliates have little incentive to want to do that.

I understand this. And although you say they are lucky to break even, I also believe more and more people went to alternative routes to watch their coverage. You can already buy a ROKU and configure it for permanent VPN use, allowing it to be your viewing device for anything .UK, including BBC streams and whatnot, and I expect that technology will continue to evolve in such a way that by 2014 it will be easier, and in 2016 it will be easier still to utilize IPTV type connections.

I personally believe that if NBC keeps up the current model with delays + added west coast delays, they will find in 2016.... (2014 delays are unavoidable) that customers will walk away from them altogether and find their live coverage elsewhere.

In 2016, people will still have traditional TV services en-masse. But they will also have access to so much more, and more importantly it will have become easier and easier to circumvent the rules a little and access Canadian and/or British streams. (And/or other countries if you speak another language)

NBC's model is behind the times, and they paid for that kind of model. They will need to get creative, and they will need to get the affiliates on board.

There's definitely an element that people are going to start moving away from traditional television. Comcast is not unaware of this. It's part of the reason they investing in the future of the Olympics, because they think they can profit off it. NBC is going to have to evolve with the times, but people were talking about that in 2008 that it would scare people off to non-traditional means to watch the Olympics. Clearly that wasn't the case in 2012 (people didn't exactly walk away this time).

In 2014 and 2016, NBC has to re-evaluate their coverage. I believe we'll see some changes moving forward as Comcast takes more control and Dick Ebersol is no longer in the picture. But that doesn't mean they need to kill the current model altogether and start from scratch instead of using what they're learned and improving upon it.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#562 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:33 AM

Uggh. Just finished watching the closing ceremonies. Totally awful. Though I enjoyed the games, I hated the opening, closing ceremonies, and the fact that NBC did not split the screen so that you could see athlete reactions and their scores.

*sigh* Now to catch up on my other recordings.

#563 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,167 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:28 PM

Uggh. Just finished watching the closing ceremonies. Totally awful. Though I enjoyed the games, I hated the opening, closing ceremonies, and the fact that NBC did not split the screen so that you could see athlete reactions and their scores.

*sigh* Now to catch up on my other recordings.

Not all that bad. Didn't come close to Beijing, but hey. The human (synchronization) element was missing, but the music made up for it.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#564 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Comcast is not unaware of this. It's part of the reason they investing in the future of the Olympics, because they think they can profit off it.

At this moment.... all I think is:

Profit = Restrictions.

If they can make more profit, they are going to put as much restrictions, roadblocks, cuts and edits..... that they can get away with. Plus screw the west coast on top of it.

Comcast may not be unaware of this. But they have screwed us over with the opening ceremonies and closing ceremonies in SUCH a BAD way.... they will be losing pairs of eyes for their commercials for the next Olympics. The stuff they cut, combined with the plugs for their new cheesy comedy show was really disgustingly, badly done.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#565 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

At this moment.... all I think is:

Profit = Restrictions.

If they can make more profit, they are going to put as much restrictions, roadblocks, cuts and edits..... that they can get away with. Plus screw the west coast on top of it.

Remember how the business model works though. NBC can only profit if advertisers are paying top dollar. Advertisers will only pay top dollar if the ratings are high. And high ratings = people watching. NBC (and by extension, their sponsors) believe that doing things the way they do is drawing MORE viewers than the alternative. Obviously that's debatable, but the point is that what NBC is doing is designed to draw in more viewers. You may disagree, but obviously there are a lot of people out there who feel differently. More viewers = more profit. Fewer viewers = less profit. And especially with the West coast, those decisions are made by the affiliates because they believe more people will be watching. Again, you may disagree and be wishing for an alternative, but based on the numbers from the last few Olympics, it seems like those affiliates may have a point.

Comcast may not be unaware of this. But they have screwed us over with the opening ceremonies and closing ceremonies in SUCH a BAD way.... they will be losing pairs of eyes for their commercials for the next Olympics. The stuff they cut, combined with the plugs for their new cheesy comedy show was really disgustingly, badly done.

We hear this EVERY Olympics. People say they're so pissed off at NBC that they won't watch their coverage, they won't watch their shows, and they won't support their advertisers. And yet the numbers are trending upward, defying all logic. Certainly part of that owes to the popularity of the Olympics, but especially that Comcast was willing to sink $4.38 billion into the next 4 Olympics, clearly they think there's something there.

Bottom line.. Comcast and NBCU can't profit from the Olympics unless people are watching. The more people that are watching, the more they profit. So if you think NBC is interested in anything less than getting as many people to watch as much of their coverage as possible, you're still not seeing the bigger picture. All those people complaining about the coverage.. if they keep watching (and we've established there are alternatives, some better than others), then they're continuing to give NBC license to keep doing what they're doing.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#566 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Bottom line.. Comcast and NBCU can't profit from the Olympics unless people are watching.

And I will actually watch NBC Networks if I know for SURE they aren't cutting anything from their broadcasts of the ceremonies. Now that I know they cut BIG pieces out of it, I won't be watching the next time around.

And sure, they'll still get a pretty large audience, but access to television from other countries is getting easier and easier.... and if Comcast/NBCU is just keeping up with the same tactics, they will lose more and more viewers.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#567 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:05 PM

And I will actually watch NBC Networks if I know for SURE they aren't cutting anything from their broadcasts of the ceremonies. Now that I know they cut BIG pieces out of it, I won't be watching the next time around.

And sure, they'll still get a pretty large audience, but access to television from other countries is getting easier and easier.... and if Comcast/NBCU is just keeping up with the same tactics, they will lose more and more viewers.

But there were some new tactics this time though. All the events (yes, save for the Opening Ceremony) were live streamed. NBC Sports Network provided more coverage than we're used to seeing from cable. NBC's afternoon coverage was expanded big time. Was primetime largely the same as it has been in the past? Yes it was. But clearly that didn't make people turn away from primetime. And we hear this after every Olympics how people will look for alternate (including about access to other countries' coverage), yet MORE people watched these Olympics than the last one. So if they lost viewers from the last Olympics (and if we believe Twitter, there were a lot), they must have gained even more for some reason. Is it because the Olympics are simply that more popular than they were in 2008? Or is it possible that the folks running the show at NBC and Comcast aren't as ignorant as everyone seems to think they are. The coverage has been evolving.. it's not like they haven't changed anything over the years.

#568 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

I have to agree, both the opening and closing ceremonies were awful. The music was hideous: bland, repetitious, unimaginative. The bizarre themes were quite odd and irrelevant, and overall lacking in the true heart and soul of the Games.

I remember the close of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin. Andrea Bocelli singing "Because We Believe" just before the dousing of the flame. Incredible. Lots of tears were shed. London had nothing remotely close to that.

I shudder to think of the PR fest that murdering despot Putin will make of the Sochi games. One harkens back to Hitler and the 1936 games in Berlin. Chilling. Perhaps the athletes' good vibes of internationalism and some good music will overcome the creepy political overtones. The Winter Games always seem to be much more magical and emotional than the Summer games. All that beautiful snow and ice up in the mountains. And it would be nice if they HAD some this time, right Vancouver?

#569 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,167 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

I thought the music was ok, Maruuk ... mostly old-timer rock classics. It wasn't a great theme overall, but it was passable - politics and all. I didn't see much of an effort made to surpass (or even approach) the grandeur that was the Beijing opener, so in a sense there was less to be disappointed about.

Like you, I enjoy the winter games much more. They are indeed magical in sight and sound. I also enjoy the winter sporting events much more than those in the summer games - although I'm hard-pressed to choose between ladies' gymnastics and mens' speed skating.

Let's see what Russia's bringing to the table ... that is, if someone can convince NBC to broadcast it.

Edited by Henry, 26 August 2012 - 04:20 PM.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#570 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Let's see what Russia's bring to the table ... that is, if someone can convince NBC to broadcast it.

They have the rights ... so no one else will be broadcasting it to US viewers via television/cable.

#571 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,167 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

They have the rights ... so no one else will be broadcasting it to US viewers via television/cable.

Yeah, I know, James ... that's what bothers me. As heavy-handed and arbitrary as they were with London, I'm half expecting to see a one hour cut-in for some new Seacrest reality series starring a turtle or something. :rolleyes:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#572 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

Let's see what Russia's bring to the table ... that is, if someone can convince NBC to broadcast it.

Yea, I mean because NBC 'ONLY' offered 5,500 hours of coverage from London. If only they had shown more!

#573 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,167 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

Yea, I mean because NBC 'ONLY' offered 5,500 hours of coverage from London. If only they had shown more!

Don't bring me in to this argument, Quaker ... you are doing just fine without me.

My comment was a means of indicating my displeasure with the break in broadcasting it. I'm sure anyone watching the broadcast would be reasonably upset by the "heavy-handed and arbitrary" way they handled it. It's like watching a 3 hour movie only to have the end cut short for a commercial or something.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#574 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,502 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

They could have cut more out of the program to make it fit the time scheduled.

#575 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

Maybe they'll have a naked Putin wrestle a Polar Bear for the opening in Sochi--hope they don't cut THAT!

#576 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,167 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

Maybe they'll have a naked Putin wrestle a Polar Bear for the opening in Sochi--hope they don't cut THAT!

!rolling You're slaying me, Maruuk!!! !rolling
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#577 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,167 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

They could have cut more out of the program to make it fit the time scheduled.

They could have ... it was their broadcast ... but they arrogantly chose to let us watch some stupid monkey instead.

All during the games we were conditioned to see primetime coverage, followed by local news and then a one or two-hour (can't remember) recap of the day's sporting events. Nothing changed on my EPG that night, except me not reading it on the last night of the Olympics.

Needless to say, I opted not to record that block and was thusly rewarded the next day when I replayed what I thought would be the entire closing ceremony, only to discover they had not shown it that way.

I wonder how many others were equally surprised?

And with that I'll drop out of this conversation.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#578 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,236 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

I think NBC did a damn fine job with the 2012 London Olympics. We Comcast subs even got some additional channels of HD coverage.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

spam firewall