Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC 2012 Olympics Coverage

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

would love to be watching shooting right now guess they don't want everything to be shown live

"They" in this case is the shooting federation (or whoever runs the competition). It's a non-televised session, not even BBC has it. So if you're looking for fodder with which to rip NBC, this isn't it.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

Whoever explained that as being why they where delaying final races and such till night is full of it. They still have the Olympics on most the day. The only difference is they aren't going to show any final events till late at night. Check the schedule for next week. NBC is solid Olympics from after the national broadcast of the today show till the afternoon local news at 4 or so depending on your area. They will have no syndicated shows on during the Olympics on NBC, so that concept is incorrect.

I work in sports television. I used to work for a broadcast network (not NBC), so I like to think I'm getting good information. I'm well aware of the schedules. I know most of the affiliates are losing their syndication hours and I'm betting they're not all that happy about it. I also know that back in 1984, the affiliates were largely responsible from preventing ABC from taking over all of the afternoon programming because they wanted to keep a couple of soap operas on the air for those 2 weeks.

I don't know why you assume NBC has no idea what they're doing and that they're basing their decisions on bad information. Affiliates most their money from local programming, especially local news. So NBC has left that intact for them. And they want a strong primetime show to lead into late local news. That's why there was that whole flap over Jay Leno a couple of years ago.. the affiliates were pissed that the network gave them a terrible lead-in for their 11pm news.

That's why the Olympics are scheduled for NBC the way they are. There's a strategy for NBC as well as the affiliates to maximize their revenues. They operate differently from a CTV or BBC. So it's not a case of "well they do it, why can't NBC." Just doesn't work that way.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#53 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

I disagree. Speaking as someone who watched all of his gold medals wins in 2008, I didn't see a single qualifying heat. What's the point? Everyone knows he's going to make the final. The top competitors don't even try that hard in qualifying heats (e.g., you'll see Usain Bolt pull up 20 m from the finish because he already knows he's going to finish high enough to get to the finals.) (Here's a Usain Bolt qualifying heat from the 2011 World Championships. Not exactly exciting. )

Just to note as I'm watching the heats of the men's 400 IM (which NBC is showing live, thank you for that).. Phelps just qualified 8th and barely made it to the final because he shut it down so early. So I think after that, a few more people will be paying attention to these qualifying heats. Of course, that including Phelps.

#54 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,423 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

Boy - the video on nbcolympics.com is horrible. I have 20/20 FIOS service and it looks like I'm on dial-up. Anybody else seeing the same?

#55 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,255 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

The coverage was so terrible tonight I switched over to the White Sox game instead. Sooo many commercials...ugh.

are you sure it wasn't the opening ceremonies themselves?

IMHO, other then a few up points, that had to be one of the worst opening ceremonies I have ever watched.

I will agree though that NBC took quite a few commercial breaks but that seems to come with the territory now a days.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#56 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

are you sure it wasn't the opening ceremonies themselves?

IMHO, other then a few up points, that had to be one of the worst opening ceremonies I have ever watched.

I will agree though that NBC took quite a few commercial breaks but that seems to come with the territory now a days.

But at least in the parade of nations they showed and named the countries that went through during commercial.

My favorite moment, Rowan Atkinson.

#57 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

But at least in the parade of nations they showed and named the countries that went through during commercial.

My favorite moment, Rowan Atkinson.

That was an improvement over previous years. There was a time there I thought NBC was going to do a bone head move and let the USA enter during a commercial break (had it been live, it probably would have happened as who calls for a commercial break between Ukraine and UAE?).

I'll agree Rowan Atkinson was also our favorite..

Least favorite was Paul McCartney. I won't even get discuss the horrific plastic surgery but he just plain sounded awful..

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#58 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

I totally agree. Since it was delayed anyway, there really was no excuse for them to cut out several segments of the ceremonies to run commercial breaks. They could just as easily gone to break and resumed where they cut.

As for the whole evening, the only memorable part for me was the Queen and James Bond segment. The Brits tearing Romney a new one the day before was much more entertaining.

And what was the deal with Costas making rude and off color jokes about North Korea? Isnt the coverage supposed to be somewhat unbiased, or at least neutral? Costas should be fired.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#59 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,612 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

That was an improvement over previous years. There was a time there I thought NBC was going to do a bone head move and let the USA enter during a commercial break (had it been live, it probably would have happened as who calls for a commercial break between Ukraine and UAE?).

I'll agree Rowan Atkinson was also our favorite..

Least favorite was Paul McCartney. I won't even get discuss the horrific plastic surgery but he just plain sounded awful..

Paul was getting chocked up...I think we can forgive him for that. :rolleyes:

#60 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Paul was getting chocked up...I think we can forgive him for that. :rolleyes:

:sure:

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#61 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,860 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

So. NBC is doing such a great job that in the three hours I have watched the main channel today, I have seen Michael Phelps squeeze into the final round of the 400 IM twice and watched the end of the road race at least three times.

Meanwhile, not televised are many events.

Yup. That is good for ratings. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Anyone ever think that the ratings are high because it is the damned Olympics and they will be high period. Practically nothing else is going on. First run shows are even going on hiatus for the duration.

NBC makes this whole thing a mess. Harder to follow than it should be because all the dumb delays and time warping.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#62 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:58 AM

Why is NBC (main network channel) on three-hour tape delay in the Pacific Time Zone while ALL the other channels are showing events live? Nothing like killing the spontaneity of showing an event and already knowing the result.
It's bad enough the Prime time broadcast is delayed for all but then add another three hour delay to that for us here in the WEST.
This is ridiculous.

#63 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Let me stress again that I do not work for NBC and have no stake either way whether they succeed or fail, but the ratings are in from last night..

Opening ceremony overnight rating best of non-U.S. Games

That's right, sports fans.. that tape-delayed broadcast filled with way too many commercials, with everyone following on Twitter, a little too much commentary, and didn't receive nearly as much hype as the Beijing opening which is probably forever the gold standard for a ceremony, drew HIGHER ratings than 4 years ago. I'm moderately surprised at that myself, I didn't think they could top it. Yet here we are. NBC execs have to be laughing their asses off right now. Who knows if the momentum will hold, but that's pretty darn impressive right there.

#64 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

1. NBC opening ceremony coverage improvements over previous years noticeable; too bad the opening ceremony that London put together was for the most part boring and lame
But finally the Organizers of the opening ceremony got this right. They decided the parade of nations should be much faster. So fast that Costas was upset that he could not keep up with his dumb comments for each country.

2. DirecTV Olympic mix channel is a total disaster. Half of those channels are not Olympic related. They blatantly lied to customers false advertising in their website their olympic variety in the mix channels.

3. NBC coverage during day one looks better. Commercials are out of control, but the Live actions in the different channels (8 total, even Telemundo) makes up for it.

#65 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

Let me stress again that I do not work for NBC and have no stake either way whether they succeed or fail, but the ratings are in from last night..

Opening ceremony overnight rating best of non-U.S. Games

That's right, sports fans.. that tape-delayed broadcast filled with way too many commercials, with everyone following on Twitter, a little too much commentary, and didn't receive nearly as much hype as the Beijing opening which is probably forever the gold standard for a ceremony, drew HIGHER ratings than 4 years ago. I'm moderately surprised at that myself, I didn't think they could top it. Yet here we are. NBC execs have to be laughing their asses off right now. Who knows if the momentum will hold, but that's pretty darn impressive right there.

If there are no other options in the US, people are going to watch. This doesn't reflect whether people are happy about it and it doesn't take the way the fact how many viewers are pissed about NBC blacking out live coverage of the opening ceremony. This proves what to sports fans? That NBC is successful? So what, my electric company is successful because they monopolise the entire state and people don't have a choice but to use their services.

And, let me tell you something about Beijing ceremony. We all know that the Chineese put out a spectacular show and the London show did not live up to it. But you know, one thing that people don't understand is that London had volunteers do their show while the chineese had "volunteers".

#66 OFFLINE   Renard

Renard

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

I am so happy, and delighted, CNBC is showing infomercials at this time instead of the Olympics. Who in their right mind want to watch some stupid Olympics coverage instead of some really interesting infomercials. :nono:
Way to go NBC :nono:

#67 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

If there are no other options in the US, people are going to watch. This doesn't reflect whether people are happy about it and it doesn't take the way the fact how many viewers are pissed about NBC blacking out live coverage of the opening ceremony. This proves what to sports fans? That NBC is successful? So what, my electric company is successful because they monopolise the entire state and people don't have a choice but to use their services.

And, let me tell you something about Beijing ceremony. We all know that the Chineese put out a spectacular show and the London show did not live up to it. But you know, one thing that people don't understand is that London had volunteers do their show while the chineese had "volunteers".

Pardon my french, but that's pure and utter bulls***. First off, it took me about 10 seconds to find a stream from BBC plus how many people followed online and then said they would skip the NBC telecast and just download a torrent as soon as it came online? And that's a pretty bad comparison to your electric company. If there's only 1 of those, then yes, you don't have a choice. You NEED electricity. No one needs to watch the Opening Ceremony. There's about 500 other channels out there and I'm going to take a wild guess all of them were on last night at 7:30pm. So I guess the Super Bowl only draws 100 million people because people have no other option than to watch it on the network broadcasting it? Yea, that must be it.

We know folks are unhappy with NBC's coverage. Yet they're consuming it anyway. Is a pissed off viewer worth less to NBC or their sponsors than a non-pissed off viewer? What this proves is that large numbers of people WILL gather for a taped Opening Ceremony even if they're pissed off. No one is forcing them. NBC execs are not coming into their homes, putting on NBC and throwing away the remote. They CHOOSE to watch NBC when there are other options out there (1 of them being not to watch as so many people are saying they'd do). So yes, it does prove that NBC is successful and they're going to be laughing all the way to the bank on this one.

#68 OFFLINE   mrlqban

mrlqban

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

I am so happy, and delighted, CNBC is showing infomercials at this time instead of the Olympics. Who in their right mind want to watch some stupid Olympics coverage instead of some really interesting infomercials. :nono:

lol boxing is on break. I guess is better to have an infomercial while on break than any action of the other events.

#69 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

CNBC had boxing all morning. By my count, there are 7 networks showing the Olympics right now plus all the live streaming. Will folks here not be happy until every network in the NBCUniversal family is showing the Olympics 24 hours a day? sheesh!

lol boxing is on break. I guess is better to have an infomercial while on break than any action of the other events.

Yea, if only there were 8 networks showing the Olympics instead of 7, then it would be perfect!

Seriously folks.. not everyone out there wants to watch the Olympics, especially in this country. Is 5,500 hours of coverage not enough for some of you that you're still on the 1 channel of the 8 that doesn't have Olympics on right now?

Edited by Quaker2001, 28 July 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,207 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Phelps is set to swim the 400m IM at 2:30 p.m. ET...but we can't see it live, correct?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#71 OFFLINE   RA in CA

RA in CA

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

Probably only online at the nbcolympics.com website.

#72 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

Phelps is set to swim the 400m IM at 2:30 p.m. ET...but we can't see it live, correct?

It'll be online (everything is online.. make that all of the COMPETITION is online). Sadly, the streaming quality is a little underwhelming. I've had a few people tell me they've yet to get a solid, consistent connection working

Edited by Quaker2001, 28 July 2012 - 12:20 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 432 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

I'm trying to watch online and it says "this stream is temporarily embargoed"

Edited by mws192, 28 July 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#74 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,866 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

Olympics 2012: NBC defends blackout of opening ceremony

What a crock.

With the way NBC is running things, I'm losing interest in the Olympics.

#75 OFFLINE   fliptheflop

fliptheflop

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:42 PM

I watched the first few seconds and then it stopped working. What a joke. Just show everything live on TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...