Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC 2012 Olympics Coverage

• Please log in to reply
577 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   gusmahler

gusmahler

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

CBC is a government owned network (we won't even get in to that Canada is considered to be an independent commonwealth where Queen Elizabeth II is the head of state) so profits really don't matter.

NBC & their affiliates are not government owned and must make a profit to survive. As an affiliate, do I want to give up 4 hours of my programming day & ad spots for a small group of people to watch the opening ceremonies live?

What, they don't air commercials during the Olympics? What even makes you think that Judge Judy or whatever the NBC affiliates air on random Fridays in summer would get higher ratings than the Olympic opening ceremony? Plus, they'll be showing Olympics for the next two weeks anyway. What's one more day?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,812 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:29 PM

Every sport in the world is live except for the Olympics. Ridiculous.

#43 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

Every sport in the world is live except for the Olympics. Ridiculous.

Not necessarily - the most recent 3 Formula One races were shown on FOX on a 4 hour tape delay.

As to the Olympics coverage, I noticed on NBC Sports Network (603) the score guide has been replaced by an Olympics interactive feature. It doesn't seem to be active yet, as when I pushed the red button a screen pops up that say "Loading" but nothing else happens.

#44 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Irony. Matt Lauer says "images that will be all over the web in a matter of seconds" but delayed by hours by NBC in the USA.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#45 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Not necessarily - the most recent 3 Formula One races were shown on FOX on a 4 hour tape delay.

As to the Olympics coverage, I noticed on NBC Sports Network (603) the score guide has been replaced by an Olympics interactive feature. It doesn't seem to be active yet, as when I pushed the red button a screen pops up that say "Loading" but nothing else happens.

Been working for me.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#46 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

What, they don't air commercials during the Olympics? What even makes you think that Judge Judy or whatever the NBC affiliates air on random Fridays in summer would get higher ratings than the Olympic opening ceremony? Plus, they'll be showing Olympics for the next two weeks anyway. What's one more day?

Someone explained this to me elsewhere and I wasn't entirely aware of this..

The United States is the only country in the world where over-the-air transmitters (i.e. the affiliates) are not one in the same from the networks that own and run them. It's not so simple as to say which of the 2 would get better ratings. A syndicated show like Judge Judy, just like the local news, generate more revenue for an affiliate than a national broadcast with only a few local breaks does. So for an affiliate, their best bet is to keep their blocks of local programming intact and get a nice healthy lead-in to local news from a big draw national telecast like the Opening Ceremony. That's why you can't ask these affiliates (who chip in some of the cash to pay for the rights fees) to offer up more and more hours of programming during the late afternoon to the network. Especially when they've already handed over their entire afternoons for the next 2 1/2 weeks.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#47 OFFLINE   noahproblem

noahproblem

Legend

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Been working for me.

Well I did an RBR and still nothing but the "Loading" screen for me. Maybe I'll check back in the morning to see if something comes up (it will hardly be the end of the world if it doesn't).

#48 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:46 PM

Someone explained this to me elsewhere and I wasn't entirely aware of this..

The United States is the only country in the world where over-the-air transmitters (i.e. the affiliates) are not one in the same from the networks that own and run them. It's not so simple as to say which of the 2 would get better ratings. A syndicated show like Judge Judy, just like the local news, generate more revenue for an affiliate than a national broadcast with only a few local breaks does. So for an affiliate, their best bet is to keep their blocks of local programming intact and get a nice healthy lead-in to local news from a big draw national telecast like the Opening Ceremony. That's why you can't ask these affiliates (who chip in some of the cash to pay for the rights fees) to offer up more and more hours of programming during the late afternoon to the network. Especially when they've already handed over their entire afternoons for the next 2 1/2 weeks.

Whoever explained that as being why they where delaying final races and such till night is full of it. They still have the Olympics on most the day. The only difference is they aren't going to show any final events till late at night. Check the schedule for next week. NBC is solid Olympics from after the national broadcast of the today show till the afternoon local news at 4 or so depending on your area. They will have no syndicated shows on during the Olympics on NBC, so that concept is incorrect.

#49 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:23 AM

The coverage was so terrible tonight I switched over to the White Sox game instead. Sooo many commercials...ugh.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#50 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

would love to be watching shooting right now guess they don't want everything to be shown live
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#51 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:43 AM

would love to be watching shooting right now guess they don't want everything to be shown live

"They" in this case is the shooting federation (or whoever runs the competition). It's a non-televised session, not even BBC has it. So if you're looking for fodder with which to rip NBC, this isn't it.
"This is television, that's all it is. It has nothing to do with people, it's to do with ratings! For fifty years, we've told them what to eat, what to drink, what to wear... for Christ's sake, don't you understand? Americans love television. They wean their kids on it. Listen. They love game shows, they love wrestling, they love sports and violence. So what do we do? We give 'em what they want! We're number one, that's all that counts, believe me. I've been in the business for thirty years."

#52 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:14 AM

Whoever explained that as being why they where delaying final races and such till night is full of it. They still have the Olympics on most the day. The only difference is they aren't going to show any final events till late at night. Check the schedule for next week. NBC is solid Olympics from after the national broadcast of the today show till the afternoon local news at 4 or so depending on your area. They will have no syndicated shows on during the Olympics on NBC, so that concept is incorrect.

I work in sports television. I used to work for a broadcast network (not NBC), so I like to think I'm getting good information. I'm well aware of the schedules. I know most of the affiliates are losing their syndication hours and I'm betting they're not all that happy about it. I also know that back in 1984, the affiliates were largely responsible from preventing ABC from taking over all of the afternoon programming because they wanted to keep a couple of soap operas on the air for those 2 weeks.

I don't know why you assume NBC has no idea what they're doing and that they're basing their decisions on bad information. Affiliates most their money from local programming, especially local news. So NBC has left that intact for them. And they want a strong primetime show to lead into late local news. That's why there was that whole flap over Jay Leno a couple of years ago.. the affiliates were pissed that the network gave them a terrible lead-in for their 11pm news.

That's why the Olympics are scheduled for NBC the way they are. There's a strategy for NBC as well as the affiliates to maximize their revenues. They operate differently from a CTV or BBC. So it's not a case of "well they do it, why can't NBC." Just doesn't work that way.

#53 OFFLINE   Quaker2001

Quaker2001

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:34 AM

I disagree. Speaking as someone who watched all of his gold medals wins in 2008, I didn't see a single qualifying heat. What's the point? Everyone knows he's going to make the final. The top competitors don't even try that hard in qualifying heats (e.g., you'll see Usain Bolt pull up 20 m from the finish because he already knows he's going to finish high enough to get to the finals.) (Here's a Usain Bolt qualifying heat from the 2011 World Championships. Not exactly exciting. )

Just to note as I'm watching the heats of the men's 400 IM (which NBC is showing live, thank you for that).. Phelps just qualified 8th and barely made it to the final because he shut it down so early. So I think after that, a few more people will be paying attention to these qualifying heats. Of course, that including Phelps.

#54 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:47 AM

Boy - the video on nbcolympics.com is horrible. I have 20/20 FIOS service and it looks like I'm on dial-up. Anybody else seeing the same?

#55 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:27 AM

The coverage was so terrible tonight I switched over to the White Sox game instead. Sooo many commercials...ugh.

are you sure it wasn't the opening ceremonies themselves?

IMHO, other then a few up points, that had to be one of the worst opening ceremonies I have ever watched.

I will agree though that NBC took quite a few commercial breaks but that seems to come with the territory now a days.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#56 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

are you sure it wasn't the opening ceremonies themselves?

IMHO, other then a few up points, that had to be one of the worst opening ceremonies I have ever watched.

I will agree though that NBC took quite a few commercial breaks but that seems to come with the territory now a days.

But at least in the parade of nations they showed and named the countries that went through during commercial.

My favorite moment, Rowan Atkinson.

#57 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:10 AM

But at least in the parade of nations they showed and named the countries that went through during commercial.

My favorite moment, Rowan Atkinson.

That was an improvement over previous years. There was a time there I thought NBC was going to do a bone head move and let the USA enter during a commercial break (had it been live, it probably would have happened as who calls for a commercial break between Ukraine and UAE?).

I'll agree Rowan Atkinson was also our favorite..

Least favorite was Paul McCartney. I won't even get discuss the horrific plastic surgery but he just plain sounded awful..

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#58 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

I totally agree. Since it was delayed anyway, there really was no excuse for them to cut out several segments of the ceremonies to run commercial breaks. They could just as easily gone to break and resumed where they cut.

As for the whole evening, the only memorable part for me was the Queen and James Bond segment. The Brits tearing Romney a new one the day before was much more entertaining.

And what was the deal with Costas making rude and off color jokes about North Korea? Isnt the coverage supposed to be somewhat unbiased, or at least neutral? Costas should be fired.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#59 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

That was an improvement over previous years. There was a time there I thought NBC was going to do a bone head move and let the USA enter during a commercial break (had it been live, it probably would have happened as who calls for a commercial break between Ukraine and UAE?).

I'll agree Rowan Atkinson was also our favorite..

Least favorite was Paul McCartney. I won't even get discuss the horrific plastic surgery but he just plain sounded awful..

Paul was getting chocked up...I think we can forgive him for that. :rolleyes:

#60 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,227 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Paul was getting chocked up...I think we can forgive him for that. :rolleyes:

:sure:

My Q4 2014 Set-Up