Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question about HR21 and RF

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

I am new to the HR21; just got a HR20 replaced last week.

Try as I might, I can't get it to go into RF mode (this following instructions on the GUI).

What gives? Does the HR21 not support the RF mode?

They also sent (independently) a new white remote, I think it is a "65C" model, if memory serves.

Could it be the remote itself?
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

The HR21 definitely supports RF...and no external antenna needed. Is your remote an RC65R remote? (I believe the current ones being sent out are RC65R, RC65RX, and RC65RBX)
If it has an R after the model number and an FCC label on the back it's an RF remote. The RC65 and RC65X are not RF remotes.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#3 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:56 PM

The HR21 definitely supports RF...and no external antenna needed. Is your remote an RC65R remote? (I believe the current ones being sent out are RC65R, RC65RX, and RC65RBX)
If it has an R after the model number and an FCC label on the back it's an RF remote. The RC65 and RC65X are not RF remotes.

Thanks JB. That's probably it; I don't remember seeing an FCC label and it is probably a RC65x (have to check when I get home). Really valuable info; I owe you.

I think this means I will be buying a new remote; RF is reaally t*ts; I can be slobbering on a rack of ribs and lean over and press a button on the remote laying on the table with my one non-greasy pinky finger and change channels; I don't have to pick it up and aim it like a Glock :D.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#4 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 808 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

All of the current RF remotes DirecTV sends out are backlit too. For $25 you can't beat that.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,651 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

Did you send back your'e old remote? If not that will work.

#6 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,582 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:28 PM

All of the current RF remotes DirecTV sends out are backlit too. For $25 you can't beat that.

Finding backlit RFs on the internet for as low as $8. Since colored buttons are going away, I think I'll get a few. They'll have to kill them in an up rev to affect me.

But no, although the remote they sent me was "sent out currently", it turned out not to be an RF remote, nor was it backlit. (bastids!)

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,793 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

RCxx R [RF] B [backlit] X [auto program for TV]
RCxx [nothing] is IR only
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...