Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Retiring and Permanent Setup???

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

Since I have been with D* (early 2000) I have been moving around a lot due to work. I have decided to retire early and head home permanently. I currently have a HR24-500, a HR-21-100, a H23-600 & a H21-200. I have not decided to use the mover's plan yet. Everything is setup already at my permanent home plus I don't want someone else messing with my equipment.

But I was thinking that I could get a HR34 I would only need one DVR. What are the chances of getting one free using the movers program? Also will my two other non-DVR receivers work with the HR-34 and the Whole House setup? Before I had one DVR in the L/R and one in the B/R. If I did the Whole House setup I could cut some of my cost, being I will be on a set income now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

You'll have to call and ask. Adding the 34 isn't part of the advertised mover's package, but until you ask, you won't know.

Also, the movers page (www.directv.com/movers) says "for qualified customers only).

You might also qualify for the NFL ST package.

Good luck.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

No issues with the H21 and H23. Only the H20 isn't compatible with Whole Home in terms of HD boxes. The HR34 does require SWM, which if you get rid of both your DVRs would be a new LNB on your dish.

If you've used the Movers connection within the last year, you may not qualify for it again.

As for cost, you would save one receiver fee, but if you don't have Whole Home service now, you'd need to add back $3.

#4 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

I have not used the Mover's Connection plan in several years and I currently do not have the Whole Home service (still undecided).

I already have a deal for the NFL Ticket, but I will not need it anymore. I will be at home and I am a season ticket holder of my local team (Saints).

My biggest concern is I will need to empty the two DVR's before I do the swap to the HR34. I also read somewhere that the HR34 has another $20 charge for something. I will need to research this more.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:07 AM

The monthly cost of the HR34 is no different than any other DVR.

#6 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

I am mainly looking into this receiver due to the 5 tuners. This would simplify my setup by deleting one DVR. If I get a monthly cost deduction that would be a plus. I am still reading everything I can about the HR34.

I will need it to do 3D, work with a AM21 (have one already) and video on demand (via wireless setup). I will most likely not use the Whole Home setup at all.

#7 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

The Mover's includes the Whole home install for 'free', but there is a $3/month charge.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,409 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:04 AM

I am mainly looking into this receiver due to the 5 tuners. This would simplify my setup by deleting one DVR. If I get a monthly cost deduction that would be a plus. I am still reading everything I can about the HR34.

I will need it to do 3D, work with a AM21 (have one already) and video on demand (via wireless setup). I will most likely not use the Whole Home setup at all.

The 34 does all this. Actually, the only HD DVR that wouldn't is the HR20 as it doesn't support 3D.

#9 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:07 AM

Great - now I need to decide if the HR34 is bug-free enough yet to take over all of my recording requirements.

#10 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Great - now I need to decide if the HR34 is bug-free enough yet to take over all of my recording requirements.

As far as recording requirements go, I have no complaints about the HR34.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,192 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

The 34 does all this. Actually, the only HD DVR that wouldn't is the HR20 as it doesn't support 3D.

You can use a 20-700 as a server with 3D content on it and play it back on an HR that does support 3D. Shame to dump a good 20-700 for that reason.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

I got everything I wanted for $21.75. The HR34, new dish, NFL Ticket Max, free premium channels for 3 months and complete install.

#13 OFFLINE   MRinDenver

MRinDenver

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I got everything I wanted for $21.75. The HR34, new dish, NFL Ticket Max, free premium channels for 3 months and complete install.

You scored, brother!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man’s religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -- Mark Twain

#14 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:46 PM

How many lines will D* bring into the HR34?

#15 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,944 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:00 PM

How many lines will D* bring into the HR34?

One. You will most likely get a dish with a SWM LNB.

#16 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:05 PM

Great - I had two lines at each jack just in case.

#17 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:37 PM

Great - I had two lines at each jack just in case.

Then if you have any local channels, you can use that line for OTA. You already have one AM21.

#18 OFFLINE   reubenray

reubenray

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Actually I had two for directv and one for the OTA at each jack. I wanted to be prepared.

#19 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,242 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:02 PM

Then I guess that third line can be used in the off-chance one of the others gets damaged.

Or do what I sometimes do: I've been known to move another TV and DVR into the living room to cover days when multiple high-interest sporting events are on. I just used my spare line from when I updated to SWiM last year. But I keep the line disconnected and a cap on the multi-switch when not in use.

spam firewall