Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why does my hr24 record old shows?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satman48

satman48

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Very once and awhile my Hr24 will record shows that I have set up for series recordings will record old shows even though I have selected the "first run" option in series manager.

Anyway to fix this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:39 PM

What sometimes happen is the guide description doesn't have the right data, and your DVR thinks it is a new show. Did you look at the show and see what it had listed as the Air Date?

#3 OFFLINE   satman48

satman48

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:00 AM

What sometimes happen is the guide description doesn't have the right data, and your DVR thinks it is a new show. Did you look at the show and see what it had listed as the Air Date?

Yes, the air date shown is from when it originally aired ( not the current date).

#4 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

Unfortunately, the OAD is not what is used to determine if something is first run or not. This issue is usually seen when the description for a show's episode is a generic description or has no information at all.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#5 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

You might want to check your History (Menu/Recordings/Manage Recordings) to see if that show was listed as being recorded before on that 24.

But any way to fix it? Not really. Just be glad it doesn't happen too often.

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Very once and awhile my Hr24 will record shows that I have set up for series recordings will record old shows even though I have selected the "first run" option in series manager.

Anyway to fix this?

You'll see this if the guide data has "no information available". I see this all the time with shows like South Park, Robot Chicken, Deadliest Catch, etc. I'll look at my series manager and see, for example, 21 episodes of Robot Chicken are set to record. As the days go by those drop off because "no information available" is actually changed to the actual information. If "no information available" isn't replaced with real guide data before the showing it gets recorded.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   satman48

satman48

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

Unfortunately, the OAD is not what is used to determine if something is first run or not. This issue is usually seen when the description for a show's episode is a generic description or has no information at all.

- Merg

What is a "OAD" ?

#8 OFFLINE   satman48

satman48

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

So maybe a fresh reboot every once and awhile would help?

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

So maybe a fresh reboot every once and awhile would help?

If you're concerned about guide data reboot twice within a 30 minute period. The easiest way is to reboot, wait to get back to live tv and then immediately reboot again. This flushes all guide data on the unit. New guide data, including posters, cast/crew, etc, will take up to 48 hours to re-acquire.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

What is a "OAD" ?

Original Air Date
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   jgriffin104

jgriffin104

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

Did you check more than 5 shows to save? d
Did you check keep until I delete?

#12 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

The one thing to remember here is that in general it will err on the conservative side. IF the guide data seems less than complete, then it will most likely record a show that you may later identify as a duplicate. Much better than the alternative of missing a new episode.

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

From what I understand is there is a seperate flag for first run episodes that is in the guide data, but isn't visible to us anywhere on the screen. This first run flag is sometimes set wrong. It might be that an old show has the first run flag set even though the episode is an old one and it records something you've already seen, or sometimes it could be that the first run flag is not set even though it is an episode and you miss a recording you should have got.

This is especially annoying with TV shows from other countries. Sometimes the show airs first in another country before it airs in the US. Tribune sometimes uses the original air date in the other country in the guide data. That really doesn't matter though as long as they set the first run flag correctly, but sadly they don't do that sometimes. For example I think it was either Holmes on Holmes, or Holmes Inspection that was particularly bad about this. The shows originally aired in Canada a while back but just started airing on HGTV. Tribune would often put the original Canadian air date as the OAD, but then play around with the first run settings. Sometimes the shows would correctly be set as first run since they had never been aired on TV in the US before, but other times they wouldn't set the first run flag and the episode would be skipped. It was really frustrating and people had to just set the DVRs to record both old and new episodes to be sure they got everything.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,947 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Equally annoying is a very current run called "America's Cup Uncovered", on 696 [Comcast] in my area. No air date or other information is included, so all shows including repeats get recorded as if they were all first run.

Anyone have an e-mail as to whom to alert/complain?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall