Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish or Retailer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   eastof111

eastof111

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

New member here.

Am I better off dealing with Dish person, on-line ordering or retailer?

Noticed a retailer (800 #) offers a 75 cash card for new subs that Dish does not offer.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Retailer would be a chance of getting a better deal. Just make sure they are trustworthy as there are retailers who will take advantage of you. Not a high percentage, just something to be wary of.

#3 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

New member here.

Am I better off dealing with Dish person, on-line ordering or retailer?

Noticed a retailer (800 #) offers a 75 cash card for new subs that Dish does not offer.

Thanks

My family members had very good installs with Dish. We all ordered online. I liked doing the online orders because I got to select the programming we wanted.

I believe that there are 3 month free offerings of all of the following: HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, and Blockbuster @ Home. The protection plan appears to be free for 4 months, too.

Online, Dish is having a Summer Sales event of what appears to be an extra $5/month for a year for new subs subbing to AT120: http://www.dish.com/...ummerSalesEvent
I also think that they are throwing in the Hopper as well for new AT120 subs for this limited time because I thought AT 200 or Dish Latino Dos was needed for a free Hopper.

Edited by Mojo Jojo, 29 July 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   eastof111

eastof111

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Thanks. I guess I'll stick with a Dish person, since I can't find a location address for the 800 # retailer.

#5 OFFLINE   eastof111

eastof111

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Any suggestions on getting H/H instead of the H/J with the Top 250 package while dealing with a live rep at Dish? Reason for this is future expansion and not having to re-negotiate.

What about getting HIC installed, is this guaranteed if requested or a 50/50 situation? I do not want to do wifi at this time.

Thanks again

#6 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Any suggestions on getting H/H instead of the H/J with the Top 250 package while dealing with a live rep at Dish? Reason for this is future expansion and not having to re-negotiate.

What about getting HIC installed, is this guaranteed if requested or a 50/50 situation? I do not want to do wifi at this time.

Thanks again

I think a second Hopper is a one-time charge of $199. (I was 0.99 off at first...:))

Try this link: http://commercial.di...or/default.aspx

I think 2 Hoppers appear when selecting 5 TVs.

Did you want whole-home? I have read new subs wanting HD Solo or/and HD Duo DVRs instead. I read they messaged DIRT members.

I do agree that it is best to try to get the equipment you want the first time if possible.

Edited by Mojo Jojo, 29 July 2012 - 03:00 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   eastof111

eastof111

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Basically, need whole home with the top 250 and would prefer two dvrs which is similar to what I have now with DTV.

I have wifi but prefer not to use it, that's why I was asking if the HIC would be a better way to go.

Thanks Mojo

#8 OFFLINE   xfoneguy

xfoneguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Places like Costco give everything that Dish does (as far as I can tell) PLUS a $100 "Cash Card" for their warehouses.

#9 OFFLINE   SatelliteSolutionsNetwork

SatelliteSolutionsNetwork

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

If you're still interested in working with a DISH retailer, we can help you out. We do a $75 rebate for ordering through us.

I don't want to get overly promotional on a forum post, so if you're interested, please feel free to send me a PM for more information or check out our website:

http://www.satellitesolutions.com

#10 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Basically, need whole home with the top 250 and would prefer two dvrs which is similar to what I have now with DTV.

I have wifi but prefer not to use it, that's why I was asking if the HIC would be a better way to go.

Thanks Mojo

If you need a setup that doesn't show up on-line or that a CSR resists, and a dealer can't help you, contact a DIRT team member here.

#11 OFFLINE   idahocouchpotato

idahocouchpotato

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

The first time I got Dish I went directly through them. It took weeks to schedule an appointment in an area of the country where it should not have taken weeks. Then the installer stood me up twice. (That was years ago.) But once he finally showed up he did the whole thing from scratch in and out in about 90 minutes and it worked great the whole time I lived there. For my current installation I went through a local business who aggressively advertises around here. Especially that they have use their own installers and that they will provide personal, face-to-face assistance. So, sure enough, installation day rolls around and some random pickup pulls into my driveway (hours late) and some random guy comes stumbling out and proceeds to take all day to mount the dish and splice into the existing coax cables. When I called the local business to complain that I was promised one of their installers they said they were overbooked and I should be glad I got anyone. I later went in to re-up for free HD for life and they were similarly less-than-enthusiastic/helpful. So, if I have to do it again, I will definitely go back to dealing directly with Dish. Either way you takes your chances with the random subcontractor you get, but dealing with Dish over the phone was actually easier that face-to-face with the local business, and at least when the installer showed up he was in a Dish van and seemed to know what he was doing.

I also looked into some of the online retailer deals with the giftcards or other offers, but couldn't find one that didn't seem shady. I'm sure there are some perfectly legit ones out there (and dbstalk is probably a great place to find them) but the couple I looked into were definitely iffy.

#12 OFFLINE   jimcoe

jimcoe

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:52 PM

I would always try to find a "local" retailer (not a 1-800 #) who has been around a while, knows his stuff, cares about his reputation and has good references. You are best off when you can find someone locally when something goes wrong. If you can't find such a person, go with dealing with Dish directly. (1-800-333-DISH) Most of those out-of-state 1-800 dealers are going to be hard to find when you have problems. Also watch out for phone directory listings which will have local numbers for far away dealers. Find neighbors who have had good experiences and go with their recommendation.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...