Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 doesn't see AM21

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dshinnick

dshinnick

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:27 PM

Hey all-

I have an HR34 and AM21 (N, I believe). When I hook the AM21 to the HR34 it does NOT prompt me to begin the automated OTA setup. I can go into:

Startup, Info & Test, Satellite and Antenna, Antenna Setup, Initial Setup

and begin the setup myself. Once I plug in the zip code for my area and go to the next screen, it *immediately* says:

"Local market for the ZIP code you entered is Not Available."

and the process ends there.

Same thing when I plug in the two other area codes which apply to my area.

When I plug my RCA powered antenna directly into my TV and do a channel scan, it finds about 20 digital channels, most very clear and nice. We're watching the Olympics on one right now.

When I called Directv about this, after sitting on hold for 20 minutes while the CSR talked to tech support, she came back and told me that the AM21 was NOT supported on the HR34, and isn't likely to be, because so few D* customers use OTA.

It appears from online discussions, however, that it does work. Any thoughts on how to proceed to get mine working?

Thanks-

Dave

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

Did you power down to hook up the AM21 or just plug it into the HR34?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   dshinnick

dshinnick

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

Powered down. Oh, I've rebooted it numerous times, and nothing.

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:51 AM

It sees the AM21 or you wouldn't have the choice to enter the zip codes....more likely an issue with the zip code database....try a zip code for a larger area near you that would roughly have the same locals.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, you should get LA locals, just plug in 90210. And, the CSR is just dead wrong. The AM21 is 100% supported on the HR34.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

I agree with CCarncross, try entering a zip code from Anaheim, or maybe a different zip code for your city. It could be that for some reason DirecTV doesn't have your zip code associated to any TV markets so it doesn't work. For example here in Peoria, Bradley University has it's own seperate zip code that's different from all the other Peoria ones. DirecTV probably doesn't bother putting that zip code in the database, but other Peoria zip codes will be.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, you should get LA locals, just plug in 90210. And, the CSR is just dead wrong. The AM21 is 100% supported on the HR34.

There is a disconnect on info with the AM21 and the HR34 within Directv. This past Saturday, I had an almost verbatim conversation as the OP. I was also told the AM21 is not supported on the HR34 - even after the CSR went and spoke with tech support. The reason for not supporting was because so few people use it (that part is probably true but is sure comes in handy during t-storms).

It worked to my advantage because, without prompting from my part, the CSR said he was going to send the AM21 to me for free since it was not supported.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...