Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bad tuner, anomaly or something else?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

HR34 was installed Saturday. I moved some other DVRs around in the house. HR20 went from the living room to my office and the HR22 that was in my office went to my daughter's room (since it can do 3D and the HR20 cannot).

All seemed fine until yesterday evening, while watching the Olympics, I lost signal on Tuner 1 on the HR20 for no apparent reason. The picture went from normal to frozen and I then got the lost signal message on Tuner 1. Doubleplay was being used and Tuner 2 was unaffected. The skies were clear so that was not an issue.

I did a reboot and Tuner 1 was back. A bit later I had a few periods of signal breakup, I did not get a message of loss of signal but the video became very choppy for about 15 seconds (it was fine on another TV with the same show). I don't know what Tuner that choppiness occurred on but it was the same show where the Tuner actually went out on. I have no idea if the Tuner going out was related to the choppiness.

Signal levels all looked good. All seems OK in the brief period I had it on this morning.

Does this sound like a Tuner getting flakey or possibly another issue or simply an anomaly?

I should mention that this is the same HR20 that had the issue of one Tuner (usually Tuner 1) not coming back online after a period of rainfade. That problem has not been an issue in some time but thought I should mention it.

Edited by raott, 30 July 2012 - 07:16 AM.

SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

Did it again tonight. Had doubleplay going. Came into the room and the HR20 was frozen with the message that signal was lost on Tuner 1. Switched tuners and Tuner 2 seemed to be fine.

Flipped back to Tuner 1, it was still frozen, changed channels on Tuner 1 and it started working.

I think it is a flakey tuner.

Is there any chance it is something else that would cause a single tuner (the same one each time) to go out on the same DVR twice in three days?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#3 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Seems like the HR20 needs a 3D upgrade call....bad tuner. 3D upgrade (lack thereof) should get you a replacement free.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

It's typical failure for HR20; soon the tuner will be dead, totally.

#5 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

Seems like the HR20 needs a 3D upgrade call....bad tuner. 3D upgrade (lack thereof) should get you a replacement free.

Done, new (well at least a refurb) coming. No charge for shipping.

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

It's typical failure for HR20; soon the tuner will be dead, totally.

Pete, please. It's might be a typical failure on an HR20-100, but I've never had that problem on a 20-700. Two entirely different HRs that should not be considered the same just because they share that "20". I think.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

I should confess not digging into the mfg stratum ... but to my defense, I had three HR20-700 with bad tuners' PCB.

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

I should confess not digging into the mfg stratum ... but to my defense, I had three HR20-700 with bad tuners' PCB.

Huh. Never had one. Doesn't mean it's impossible and I'm not doubting you, but you'd think I would have seen one with that problem.

Yeah, to name two HRs similarly that are so different was an oversight on D*'s part and has probably shed a bad light on the 20-700s. They are, simply put, very different, I think. But they are getting old and I can understand more and more things going wrong with the 700s. Time to restock..... :lol:

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Huh. Never had one. Doesn't mean it's impossible and I'm not doubting you, but you'd think I would have seen one with that problem.

Yeah, to name two HRs similarly that are so different was an oversight on D*'s part and has probably shed a bad light on the 20-700s. They are, simply put, very different, I think. But they are getting old and I can understand more and more things going wrong with the 700s. Time to restock..... :lol:

Rich

I've had the HR-20 700 for almost 5 years (if my memory is correct). It has served me pretty well, but has has tuner issues with that tuner for a long time (the tuner wont return after rain fade issue) and I prob should have swapped it a long time ago.

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:42 AM

I've had the HR-20 700 for almost 5 years (if my memory is correct). It has served me pretty well, but has has tuner issues with that tuner for a long time (the tuner wont return after rain fade issue) and I prob should have swapped it a long time ago.

Oh no! Another 20-700 with tuner problems. Now, I'll be buried in something I've never seen. Sorry, Pete.... :nono2:

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

I have been having the same exact problem for my hr20-700. Been trying to get a decent upgrade to a hr34, but no dice on the roulette game. I guess I will have to call mine in too, its been raining nearly every day here and missed recorded are getting old.
my setup here

#12 OFFLINE   Shockee

Shockee

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Speaking of HR20-700 issues......has anybody had an issue with navigating to a station in the Guide and then tuning to the station? This peculiar behavior started just a few days ago and seems to only be affecting the HR20-700. I can manually tune in a staion by entering the station number on the remote, but navigating the Guide has become very flaky. I did just upgrade to wholehome DVR which works fine, but I'm thinking we should have had the HR20-700 replaced at the same time...

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Speaking of HR20-700 issues......has anybody had an issue with navigating to a station in the Guide and then tuning to the station? This peculiar behavior started just a few days ago and seems to only be affecting the HR20-700. I can manually tune in a staion by entering the station number on the remote, but navigating the Guide has become very flaky. I did just upgrade to wholehome DVR which works fine, but I'm thinking we should have had the HR20-700 replaced at the same time...

Have you tried flushing the Guide data? Two reboots within 30 minutes might clear up that problem.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

I have been having the same exact problem for my hr20-700. Been trying to get a decent upgrade to a hr34, but no dice on the roulette game. I guess I will have to call mine in too, its been raining nearly every day here and missed recorded are getting old.

I've not had a loss of signal issue since replacing the HR20-700 so that appears to have been the problem.

#15 OFFLINE   Shockee

Shockee

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for the advice. At first I thought the Harmony remote was the issue but the same issue came up with the DTV remote. I'll take your advice and flush the guide with two resets within 30 minutes.

spam firewall