Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DECA unit with HR-34?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   loonysup

loonysup

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Greetings,

I had a complete Directv system installed a couple weeks ago (love it so far). The install included an HR-34 media center dvr and 3 hd receivers. The tech installed a small DECA box that connects to my router to provide internet connectivity to all the boxes. My question is do I need this extra box or can I just plug my HR-34 in to my home network and achieve the same functionality?

Thank you in advance for any assistance,
David

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Northicex

Northicex

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

Greetings,

I had a complete Directv system installed a couple weeks ago (love it so far). The install included an HR-34 media center dvr and 3 hd receivers. The tech installed a small DECA box that connects to my router to provide internet connectivity to all the boxes. My question is do I need this extra box or can I just plug my HR-34 in to my home network and achieve the same functionality?

Thank you in advance for any assistance,
David

Yes you can remove the Broad band deca and just run an ethernet cable to the HR34 and expect the same functionality.
My views beliefs, opinions, and remarks do not in anyway represent the positions or values of Directv. I am merely here as an interested party posting in his free time.

#3 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Just remember if your HR34 is down then network access from the other boxes will also be down if you use the HR34 vs the DECA.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#4 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

If you go straight from the router to the HR34, you'll disable yoir whole-home DVR.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

If you go straight from the router to the HR34, you'll disable yoir whole-home DVR.

Not the case. Using the Ethernet jack does not disable the internal DECA on the 34.

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,908 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:07 PM

I don't think that's correct. The HR34 is the only D* box that retains full DECA functionality if you plug an ethernet cable into it. For all other boxes, your statement is correct, but for the 34 it is wrong. (as I recall)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,095 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

That is not correct when using a HR34, using the Ethernet port does not disable the internal DECA connection like the HR24 does.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,547 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

You do recall correctly, though I don't think I'd say "all" the other boxes, it only really matters for 24s and the 34 since those are the only ones with both integrated DECA and an Ethernet jack.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...