Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Finding 105 with 2800 reciever

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Buzzo

Buzzo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:26 PM

Hi everyone. I am trying to find 105 so I can get the new locals that are being transmitted by it with a 2800 model reciever and am not having much luck. My dish is an old Primestar dish with a KU Band lnb that has single coax-out w/ no seperate H/V. The way im trying to do it is by hooking the lnb directly into the 2800 reciever and just scanning around the 110 vacinity for a reading. Is there something with this reciever that wont allow me to get a signal reading from 105?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 01:47 PM

The very narrow beam for the satellite will make it very hard for you to locate the satellite.

#3 OFFLINE   Buzzo

Buzzo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:00 PM

Yes I know. I was just wondering if the 2800 model is capible of getting any reading whatsoever, hitting a bullseye or not, from a FSS KU lnb hooked directly into it. If not ill have to have them send me a new reciever. Right now all im concerned with it finding it and locking the dish in place while I have a day off to toy with it.

#4 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:15 PM

I am assuming the 2800 has a spot to choose 105 on the install screen.
Are you within the footprint?
Are your sure your locals going to 105, or are they going somewhere else? (you dont have your location listed)

The key with FSS (KU) is when you tune work with the azimuth (left right), make sure you turn it S L O W L Y..1/16 to 1/8 of an inch at a time and wait 2 to 3 seconds.

Make sure you have the elevation right on. 1 degree makes a world of difference with KU band.

#5 OFFLINE   Buzzo

Buzzo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:34 PM

Yes, it does have the Superdish satellites listed in its signal menu. There are only a few transponders to choose from on each however. Im in south central Alabama and want to get the Mobile locals package. So you are saying that it is possible to have the KU LNB hooked directly into the 2800 with no switches or anything in between and the signal meter should still function ok?

#6 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:47 PM

yep. Shouldnt have any problems

Mobile is on TP4

#7 OFFLINE   Buzzo

Buzzo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:00 PM

Ive found it! Im just about to call them and have them light up the locals for me. I fine tuned it down to the 1/16" with both AZ and EV and get strengths between 50% and 65% and theres a # of transponders over that are 0%. Ive read a little on polarity skew. Does that need to be messed with aswell? I cant seem to turn the LNB but it does have degree markings on it.

#8 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:15 PM

Skew would help, although very minimal (like fractions of a point). If you cant turn it, no biggie. Im assuming you hooked it up to a SW21 and ran check switch?

Congratulations on getting it to work! Enjoy your locals!

#9 OFFLINE   Buzzo

Buzzo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:19 PM

Yes, for now. I unhooked 110 from the switch and put 105 in its place. Could I just buy a 2nd switch to combine all 3 together?

#10 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:28 PM

I know there are some switches that are cascadable. I'm under the assumption that you have 2 dual LNB's connected with a SW21 before you started this project? Otherwise, you could get a Legacy Twin and replace the 2 duals.

#11 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:31 PM

Yes, for now. I unhooked 110 from the switch and put 105 in its place. Could I just buy a 2nd switch to combine all 3 together?

It depends on your LNBF configuration. If you have the Primestar with dual outputs you could possibly use the SW64.

Otherwise, you would need an SW21X(available from some dealers on line, not from DISH Network) to connect 119 and 110 together. Then you would need an SW21 to connect the SW21X and 105 together.

Are you receiving channel 7000?

The polarity or skew setting on the PrimeStar requires loosening the 4 bolts on the flange and turning the body for a peak in signal.

#12 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:32 PM

JohnH
He has a single LNB on his Primestar dish. he mentioned it in his original issue. :)

#13 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 04:37 PM

JohnH
He has a single LNB on his Primestar dish. he mentioned it in his original issue. :)

Well, I covered both types. :)

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,712 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 16 January 2004 - 05:48 PM

I could add - if this Ku LNBF have 2 outputs ( not fixed to H and V polarity ) then he could use SW64 too.

#15 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:25 PM

Otherwise, you would need an SW21X(available from some dealers on line, not from DISH Network) to connect 119 and 110 together.

An old SW42 can be cascaded just like an SW21X.

#16 OFFLINE   Buzzo

Buzzo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 10:58 PM

It depends on your LNBF configuration. If you have the Primestar with dual outputs you could possibly use the SW64.

Otherwise, you would need an SW21X(available from some dealers on line, not from DISH Network) to connect 119 and 110 together. Then you would need an SW21 to connect the SW21X and 105 together.

Are you receiving channel 7000?

The polarity or skew setting on the PrimeStar requires loosening the 4 bolts on the flange and turning the body for a peak in signal.

Yes, I saw the "Congratulations, you are watching 105W" channel. I felt so happy to see it after hours of searching for the bloody thing. I wasnt sure if I was going to get it in at all after reading about the problems many folks have had getting this satellite. My local transponder is coming in at a strength of around 55%-60% on a scale of 120 which is fair at best, but hey with digital its either all or nothing. A couple of transponders in the strength meter climb as high as 70% however. I have the dish's azimuth and elevation tuned precisely and I severely doubt that it is going to get 1 point stronger by messing with them anymore. I'll attempt to figure out how to work the LNB skew when I get home tomorrow and see if that improves it any.

#17 OFFLINE   TonyM

TonyM

Banned User

• Banned User
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:51 PM

Yes, I saw the "Congratulations, you are watching 105W" channel. I felt so happy to see it after hours of searching for the bloody thing. I wasnt sure if I was going to get it in at all after reading about the problems many folks have had getting this satellite. My local transponder is coming in at a strength of around 55%-60% on a scale of 120 which is fair at best, but hey with digital its either all or nothing. A couple of transponders in the strength meter climb as high as 70% however. I have the dish's azimuth and elevation tuned precisely and I severely doubt that it is going to get 1 point stronger by messing with them anymore. I'll attempt to figure out how to work the LNB skew when I get home tomorrow and see if that improves it any.

The one thing to remember is 105 is a lower powered satellite, and you cant get 105 south of the panhandle in FL...so 60 should be fine.

spam firewall