Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Old Receivers Have Value?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:47 PM

I've got three old DirecTV receivers about 8 or 9 years old. Can I just toss them in the trash without fear I'm throwing away valuable heirlooms?

Thanks,

VR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

What are the actual models? And they are actually owned? 2004 was when they switched to the lease model.

#3 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

What are the actual models? And they are actually owned? 2004 was when they switched to the lease model.

Well, it was 2003 when we first got DTV and for some reason we were required to buy these receivers. We moved into the woods of North Carolina at the time and if there was some other choice we weren't told about it. So, yes we own them. By the way, it took 2 weeks to get TV reception once the equipment was installed because the local guy couldn't figure out why we only got a few stations and the expert from Raleigh couldn't figure it out and then a kid from a nearby town was called in because he was considered a genius in those parts. He solved it in two minutes by switching the two cables connected to the dish.....good grief.

If the model info is critical to answering the question I'll dig around in the garage tomorrow to get the numbers for you.

Thanks,

VR

Edited by notnufbw, 30 July 2012 - 10:18 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,747 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:20 PM

Actually it was 2006, when they started leasing receivers.
aka Tivoburkee

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,940 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

And technically, you can still own receivers even now, though I see little point unless it's a DVR and you want to upgrade the internet hard drive without violating your TOS and breaking your warranty.
If you want to be SURE they're owned, check on the back, and see if they have a RID (Receiver ID) number. If they do, call Directv and ask to speak to the Access Card Department, and give them the RID. They can tell you if they're owned or leased. Make SURE you ask for the Access Card Department-most front line CSRs don't even realize there are owned receivers out there and consider ALL receivers leased.

#6 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Okay, model numbers:

1. Phillips DirecTV DVR DSR7000/17 TiVo

2. Philips DSHD800R

3. DirecTV DVR HR10/250 TiVo

#7 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:19 AM

None of those are recoverable so you can pitch em if you want.

Actually it was 2006, when they started leasing receivers.

There were lease programs before that but yes in 06 is when all receivers went leased.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,888 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Some people like the HR10 TiVo as an SD box. You wouldn't make much money on it though.

#9 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:31 AM

None of those are recoverable so you can pitch em if you want.

There were lease programs before that but yes in 06 is when all receivers went leased.

Okay, thanks for the reply.......by the way, what does "recoverable" mean in this context?

Thanks,

VR

#10 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,416 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:56 AM

Okay, thanks for the reply.......by the way, what does "recoverable" mean in this context?

That means that DirecTV would want to "recover" them (and then refurbish them, etc., in order to reuse them for other customers).

Incidentally, I would say that no, you shouldn't just toss them in the trash -- you should take them to an electronics recycling facility.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#11 OFFLINE   tenpins

tenpins

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Here in the Denver metro area, Waste Management has a electronics recycling facility. For a small fee ($10.00, I believe) I was able to dispose of a old 27" tv.

#12 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Incidentally, I would say that no, you shouldn't just toss them in the trash -- you should take them to an electronics recycling facility.

Unless, of course, you don't give much about them thar environment! :D

Here in Southern California, there is actually a drive-through disposal facility for electronics where you can take any old electronics for recycling. They especially want to extract the rare metals from the electronic circuitry, as that stuff is getting harder and harder to mine.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#13 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

Unless, of course, you don't give much about them thar environment! :D

Here in Southern California, there is actually a drive-through disposal facility for electronics where you can take any old electronics for recycling. They especially want to extract the rare metals from the electronic circuitry, as that stuff is getting harder and harder to mine.

There's another electronics recycling method of sorts here in San Diego that's very handy. I haul my old gigantic CRT TV's over to my brother-in-law's.....who has an alley behind his house. Never fails, someone picks up the old TV's from the alleyand gives them a second life.

#14 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 727 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

The HR10-250s go for anywhere from $100+ on eBay. Also if an HR10-250 goes bad there should be the option to order an equipment replacement for it of a THR22 with a 2 year commitment for only the price of S/H IIRC. But it's been a while. You may be able to sell the others on craigslist for $20 (if they have RIDs). =p
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#15 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,329 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

Okay, model numbers:

1. Phillips DirecTV DVR DSR7000/17 TiVo

2. Philips DSHD800R

3. DirecTV DVR HR10/250 TiVo

Nice collection of paper weights and door stops.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#16 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:55 AM

I took my old DirecTivos to Best Buy a couple of years ago and got a $10.00 gift card for recycling.

#17 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,329 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:10 PM

I took my old DirecTivos to Best Buy a couple of years ago and got a $10.00 gift card for recycling.

When I took some electronics (A/V receiver, dvd player, vcr) to BestBuy for recycling I got a "atta boy".

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#18 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,128 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:12 PM

There's another electronics recycling method of sorts here in San Diego that's very handy. I haul my old gigantic CRT TV's over to my brother-in-law's.....who has an alley behind his house. Never fails, someone picks up the old TV's from the alleyand gives them a second life.

Yes, that's how I got rid of my huge rear projection HD set a few years ago. It got picked up in less than 24 hours. It still worked but the colors were all scrambled plus it was a "TV-ready" model so it could only pick up channels from satellite or cable providers.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

spam firewall