Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Will the Echostar/Direct TV merger be approved ? 1=yes, 2=no

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2002 - 09:06 PM

Just curious what everyones thought was. :)
A simple 1 or 2 will do. Comment if you like.
I posted here so the registered and non registered could vote.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2002 - 10:23 PM

2 (I hope)

Notice that it is the E* subs that want the merger and the D* subs that don't....

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2002 - 12:58 AM

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2002 - 05:51 AM

No doubt about it!

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2002 - 06:49 AM

2 - I don't think it will make it past the regulators.

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2002 - 04:03 PM

absolutely... those 'large' entities opposed to it (NAB, NRTC, et al) have a vested interest in not seeing it go ahead and have already cheesed off the Justice Dept...

those that say 'it will mean higher prices for rural people' are just plain demented... NRTC already charges more for service.. never mind what they try to stick people for receivers...

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2002 - 04:27 PM

2 - No way. Too many people are starting to fight against it, and Charlie is getting the image of the Big Bad Wolf already.

Scott

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2002 - 06:40 PM

If you asked me 2 weeks ago I would say definatly, yes, but now I have to say no because what what Scott said about so many groups opposing it. So 2.

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2002 - 08:34 PM

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2002 - 09:43 AM

Huh...the lone dissenting DBSTalk admin...

I honestly believe Charlie when he says that the only short term solution to the picture quality issues is the merge.

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2002 - 07:57 PM

Although I want it to happen for the resultant better picture quality, the certain delivery of my locals, additional HDTV, and better competition against cable. I give it a 40/60 odds at the moment. This is down from 50/50 for a long time and from a previous 75/25 odds. Going in the wrong direction.

#12 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2002 - 04:30 PM

2...it's a blatant monopoly without a doubt. Less competition is bad for us.

In reality it's about money though. Whoever's lobbiest's has the deepest pockets wins.

spam firewall