Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

hopper and joey sound not synced

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   john payne

john payne

Mentor

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

I have a customer who has a open floorplan. In there house they have a hopper in the living room and a joey in the kitchen. They will commonly have both turned to the same channel. When they do that they get a echo effect because the reciever are a fraction of a second off from one another. Is there any fix for this in the future that anyone knows of?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

The sat signal goes through the tuner on the Hopper, it is then passed through to the Joey. The signal takes time (not much really, but it does take time) to get to the other tv. I don't know of any way that it would ever be in total sync. I had two tv's hooked from the same receiver at various times through different connections and don't ever recall there not having some echo.

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

It's not ever going to sync up perfectly on two different sets on two different outputs.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Never promised H/J will be in audio sync.

#5 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:28 PM

I don't mind the slight sync difference. What really bugs me is the inability to RESUME or join a recorded event. I have a similar "open" floor plan and cannot figure out how to have the kitchen watch the same recorded event being played by the Hopper AT THE SAME TIME. When I try to join a recorded event in progress, the Joey always starts the event from the beginning.
All I want is a Perfect DVR!

#6 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 329 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:01 AM

I also have an open floor plan and when I did have a Hopper and Joey, my Joey was about 3-5 seconds AHEAD of the Hopper. Could not handle it and removed the Joey and went back to mirroring the signal. My second Hopper (in another room,) runs about 20 seconds behind the other Hopper.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#7 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

I don't mind the slight sync difference. What really bugs me is the inability to RESUME or join a recorded event. I have a similar "open" floor plan and cannot figure out how to have the kitchen watch the same recorded event being played by the Hopper AT THE SAME TIME. When I try to join a recorded event in progress, the Joey always starts the event from the beginning.

Pause and unpause the recording playing in the first room. When you go to play the same event in the second room, it will give you that pause point as a resume option.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#8 OFFLINE   3HaloODST

3HaloODST

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

The only way to get perfect sync between two TVs is though mirroring. This limitation doesn't affect just the Hopper.

2 Hoppers w/Sling / 2 Hopper 2000s / 1 Joey

1 ViP722k (separate account)

#9 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

Pause and unpause the recording playing in the first room. When you go to play the same event in the second room, it will give you that pause point as a resume option.

That's rather painful if I started the event 30 minutes earlier on the Hopper. A better approach would be a "mirror option" after pressing the red button on the Joey remote. The ability to "Join" a recorded event playing in the next room is simply not there. One can only join live events.

#10 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

If they have a third or 4th TV location move the Hopper there, and have 2 Joeys in the open area, that should at least minimize the time delay. Or just tell them to not ever watch the same channel on both TV's at the same time.

#11 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

If they have a third or 4th TV location move the Hopper there, and have 2 Joeys in the open area, that should at least minimize the time delay. Or just tell them to not ever watch the same channel on both TV's at the same time.

I only need and have one Joey and watching the same channel on both TV's at the same time is EXACTLY what I want to do. It's just dumb that I am able to do this when viewing a LIVE event but cannot do this when viewing a recorded event. :nono: :nono2:

#12 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

I only need and have one Joey and watching the same channel on both TV's at the same time is EXACTLY what I want to do. It's just dumb that I am able to do this when viewing a LIVE event but cannot do this when viewing a recorded event. :nono: :nono2:

If that's all you want to do then why are you paying $7/month for the Joey??? Just mirror your Hoppers output and you're all set.

Also, there is a time delay even on live TV between a Hopper and a Joey. Thus my suggestion for keeping 2 Joeys in a open area.

#13 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:40 AM

If that's all you want to do then why are you paying $7/month for the Joey??? Just mirror your Hoppers output and you're all set.

Also, there is a time delay even on live TV between a Hopper and a Joey. Thus my suggestion for keeping 2 Joeys in a open area.

I misspoke. I have one Joey ON THAT FLOOR. Also, the TV in the kitchen is HD so if I want to drive it from the Hopper, I would need to run component video + an audio link a rather long distance thru walls & floors. Also, by driving the kitchen TV from the Hopper, it loses all independence.

In the kitchen, what I want is the ability to access and watch a RECORDED event playing on the Hopper, the same way the system already allows me to watch a LIVE event playing on the Hopper. I just don't understand why there is a difference. I don't know about your viewing habits, but I seldom watch anything but sports events and "breaking" news live.

#14 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

I misspoke. I have one Joey ON THAT FLOOR. Also, the TV in the kitchen is HD so if I want to drive it from the Hopper, I would need to run component video + an audio link a rather long distance thru walls & floors. Also, by driving the kitchen TV from the Hopper, it loses all independence.

A Cat5e balun set would allow you to do that if you were so inclined.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#15 OFFLINE   moman19

moman19

Icon

• Registered
  • 710 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 07:30 AM

A Cat5e balun set would allow you to do that if you were so inclined.

You're missing the point. If this is so easily done with a LIVE event, why is it so complicated when trying to simultaneously view a RECORDED event? It should not matter.

#16 OFFLINE   Steve 319

Steve 319

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:20 PM

Looking for the solution to this as well. Yesterday when we first set up the system there was no delay. Now when I use the same tuner for the Hopper/main TV in the living room and try and watch on TV 2 in the kitchen the audio delay is distracting as hell. Should be an easy fix. Just haven't figured it out yet?

#17 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,169 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:56 PM

There is no fix when using both, even if you run cables from one unit, there is still a delay. Had the same thing using tv's in different rooms from same tuner on 622's and 722's.

#18 OFFLINE   Steve 319

Steve 319

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Is there a way to mirror, not sure exactly what that implies, that will resolve the issue. If you leave the joey off on tv2 will it pass the signal through without the audio delay?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...