Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When to cancel service?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

Hey guys,

Just a simple question concerning when to cancel.

I have one more month to pay for MLB EI (August) and then I will probably cancel my service.

I can see my actual payment due amount on my online account on the 6th of each month, and the payment actually comes out automatically on the 20th of each month.

After August 20th when the final MLB EI payment is made, when should I cancel to avoid any other fees or charges?

I realize that the Major League season runs until the end of September, so I will probably need to make another payment on the 20th of September and then just cancel when MLB EI stops.

So, let me get this straight, if I make a full payment on the 20th of September, and cancel service around the first part of October, will I owe anything else or will I get a partial refund?

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wmschultz

wmschultz

DBSTalk Club Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

1-800-DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   rgs825

rgs825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

You'll probably end up paying something, no matter when you cancel.

I canceled my service on the day the payment was due. After all the back and forth my final bill came to $20 and some change. Can't figure that out since you always pre pay a month in advance. :confused:

#4 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,973 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

The time to cancel is when you're done. There will likely be both credits and fees involved but you can pretty much rest assured that you'll be owing them some money.

If you are currently in a programming commitment, you need to consider your next moves very carefully.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   wideglide36

wideglide36

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Thanks guys for all the quick replies.

I see the consensus here is that I will probably owe something even though we pay a month in advance. Still trying to figure that one out.

Anyhow, since I am set up with automatic bill pay, after I call to cancel, will they just automatically bill me the remainder of what I owe on my next bill?

Will the automatic bill pay service just stop on it's own after I cancel or do I need to cancel that as well?

@wmschultz, Thanks for the number. but I think I already have it.

Thanks again.

#6 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

why are you worrying about? They pro-rate the charges, so they won't hit you for an entire month of service you don't want. If you call today they can shut it off tomorrow. Billing stops that day. You can cancel your autopay before calling them. They will send you a bill if that is what you prefer.

#7 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,164 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

You can cancel your autopay before calling them. They will send you a bill if that is what you prefer.

That is incorrect, they will charge your final bill to the credit card on file even if you dont have autopay. That is in the Terms of Service
My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...