Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power line

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

Has anyone hooked up a powerline to their hopper? How well does it work?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

I have a powerline hooked to my hopper and my blu-ray. Seems to work just fine. I have not used it a lot but when I did, it worked.

#3 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

I have a powerline hooked to my hopper and my blu-ray. Seems to work just fine. I have not used it a lot but when I did, it worked.

What did you use to connect to your Blu-ray?

#4 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

The Hopper does not have HomePlug technology built in. You would need a pair of adapters to send and receive in order to supply the Hopper with an internet connection using HomePlug. If you have any additional questions please let me know.

#5 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

The Hopper does not have HomePlug technology built in. You would need a pair of adapters to send and receive in order to supply the Hopper with an internet connection using HomePlug. If you have any additional questions please let me know.

So then we can use the newer 500MBps to 1GBps adapters and not be saddled to the DISH 85MBps Sling units.

#6 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Ray, what do you mean? I hooked up my netgear powerline yesterday and it seems to work. I can download on demand, and my sling works.

#7 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

Ray, what do you mean? I hooked up my netgear powerline yesterday and it seems to work. I can download on demand, and my sling works.

Hmmmm?!

#8 OFFLINE   hasbeen29650

hasbeen29650

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

What did you use to connect to your Blu-ray?

The powerline adpater I use has 4 ethernet plugs out of it so one goes to the Hopper, one to the blue ray, one to my Wii and one to the smart TV. They are all happy. Just looks like a wired ethernet connection to them.

#9 OFFLINE   bigdog9586

bigdog9586

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:44 AM

The powerline adpater I use has 4 ethernet plugs out of it so one goes to the Hopper, one to the blue ray, one to my Wii and one to the smart TV. They are all happy. Just looks like a wired ethernet connection to them.

I've never seen one like that. Can you post a website?

#10 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 551 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Just google "powerline Ethernet".

#11 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:58 AM

Yeah, one of the upper end models. I almost got one that supported 600MBps or something like that, but have a 722 that is connected directly for now. So if it's true that the Hopper does not have the Sling 85MBps PowerLine capability that is limited to 85MBps, that means I can just dump it all and go much better. I have a 16 port 10/100/1000 switch in the rack but the 4 ports on selected adapters is attractive for a couple of other installs. Thanks for the details it is greatly appreciated.
-fb

#12 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

The ViP series of receivers have PowerLine technology built in. So you only need an adapter such as the SlingLink™Turbo connected to the modem/electrical outlet and the receiver does the rest. The Hopper does not have this technology built in, you you need two adapters. One at the modem, and one at the receiver.

The Netgear PowerLine adapter that you have connects four devices using Ethernet. That part would be considered the receiving unit, the one at the modem is the sending unit.

Here is a link with a diagram as to what I was referring to with the ViP equipment. I just wanted to clarify that the Hopper does not work the same as the ViP equipment when using PowerLine connectivity.

http://www.mydish.co...rline-connector

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

The ViP series of receivers have PowerLine technology built in. So you only need an adapter such as the SlingLink™Turbo connected to the modem/electrical outlet and the receiver does the rest. The Hopper does not have this technology built in, you you need two adapters. One at the modem, and one at the receiver.

The Netgear PowerLine adapter that you have connects four devices using Ethernet. That part would be considered the receiving unit, the one at the modem is the sending unit.

Here is a link with a diagram as to what I was referring to with the ViP equipment. I just wanted to clarify that the Hopper does not work the same as the ViP equipment when using PowerLine connectivity.

What would came to two points: h2k is XiP813 and it's required external PowerLine box.

#14 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

Now how would this work if you already had the "simple" Sling unit that was acquired with a 722k? I have an install that needs a receiver at a Blu-ray player sitting next to a 722k and since the Sling is already up and running is there a way to piggyback on to that? The signal at the outlet is good since the 722k reports all is well.

#15 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

Now how would this work if you already had the "simple" Sling unit that was acquired with a 722k? I have an install that needs a receiver at a Blu-ray player sitting next to a 722k and since the Sling is already up and running is there a way to piggyback on to that? The signal at the outlet is good since the 722k reports all is well.

You wouldn't be able to feed the Blu-ray player using the receiver. You would need to purchase a separate Powerline adapter that you could use for the Blu-ray player.

#16 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:08 PM

You wouldn't be able to feed the Blu-ray player using the receiver. You would need to purchase a separate Powerline adapter that you could use for the Blu-ray player.

Yes. I know that. Sorry for not being clearer. What I was looking for will anything DISH offers work in this with the Sling that is aleady installed as I mentioned?

#17 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

Yes, adding a Slinglink plugged into that outlet will work as a receiver to feed your Blu-Ray.

#18 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Yes, adding a Slinglink plugged into that outlet will work as a receiver to feed your Blu-Ray.

So the Sling Adapters are "generally" two-way units? What about the Sling Turbo? It seems to be the only Sling adapter available now. Can I use an older Sling adapter as a reciever with a Sling Turbo as the transmitter? My goal is to have the VIPs get the Internet as they are now with an adapter for a Blu-ray.

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

All the home network devices [like old fashion bridges] are two-way units. It's a nature of such boxes.
[I'm not counting professional managing equipment.]

#20 OFFLINE   FarmerBob

FarmerBob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 572 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

All the home network devices [like old fashion bridges] are two-way units. It's a nature of such boxes.
[I'm not counting professional managing equipment.]

I know that is the way when you use certain model name brand OEM units. Just wanted to make sure that when sticking with DISH, that they work that way. So on the page linked above it takes you to the newer Sling Turbo and implies that you get, probably that you need, 2 units for $30? Or is it $30 a piece? I'd only need one if it'll work with the original Sling Adapter. Or if the two, if it comes as two, can replace the older Sling unit entirely. One transmitter, one receiver for the BDP. Or if just one use it as the transmitter and the old Sling as the receiver at the BDP while it supplies the two VIPs with Internet.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...