Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

moving and cancellation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kam 14

kam 14

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hi, I will be moving in three weeks and just wondering if I should cancel my service or move it to new address. I will be requiring new satellite service where I'm moving. The problem is that I will not be moving to my permanent address, my daughter's home, until Jan. of 2013. She currently does not have any T.V. service,
rural location. Would I be better off shopping for service when I move in with her or should I use DishMover now and get her connected. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,394 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

If you use DishMover to her address, the account will still be in your name and might present a future problem when you make that final move.

If she wants satellite service then the best deal would be to have her sign up for it. You cancel your service, and when you make the final move, then sign back up with all the freebies and discounts at your new location.

Or at least that is the way I would do it.

But it really depends on whether your daughter wants the service for the next two years.

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   kam 14

kam 14

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

thanks for your reply. She hasn't had service due to financial reasons and I thought since I'm going down there in January I would get her setup now. Thanks again.

#4 OFFLINE   EdJ

EdJ

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:23 AM

If you use DishMover to her address, the account will still be in your name and might present a future problem when you make that final move.

It is not clear that you could not use Dishmover for the first move and again 6 months later. Here is the web site about it. Just call up Dish and ask about two moves relatively close together.

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

Dish has two low cost packages Welcome and Family packages can she afford either do either provide programming she would be happy watching?

You don't say where you are moving to, even if it is rural can she receive Over The Air TV broadcasts. Basically it is a onetime upfront expense then free except for any maintenence.

You can suspend your account for $5/mo. and upto 6mo. so expense is minimal while at your daughters.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

I could be wrong but I thought Dish Mover was a once-a-year perk... I don't think you can do multiple moves in a year.

IF I'm right... then I would use the free Dish Mover now to move the account where you are going to be in January and then either visit her a lot :) or live without TV for a few months in your temporary location.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

You can likely get a better deal with her as the new customer if her credit isn't awful. Twenty-five years ago credit problems would have been a problem with one of my now age 50+ kids.

You don't say what you have now, but I assume you'd want a Hopper. Whether you want to let her deal with any initial problems right now or wait is a personal judgement call.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   kam 14

kam 14

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:38 AM

thanks for everyone's input, I failed to mention that I will not require service for myself during my temporary move.
Just trying to determine if I'd get the best deal by waiting or holding on to my service, thanks again.

#9 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

thanks for everyone's input, I failed to mention that I will not require service for myself during my temporary move.
Just trying to determine if I'd get the best deal by waiting or holding on to my service, thanks again.

If you want the service in your name, do the Dish mover now and then when you get to her house in January check to see what upgrades might be available if you want to change equipment or services.

IF you cancel now and want to re-establish service in your name... it will only be 4 months from now, so you would not get the best new customer offers anyway.

BUT...

If you want the service to be in her name, you might be better off cancelling your service now and letting her get new service offers with a new account in her name now.

Of course if there is a reason to think she might not get the best offer (you mentioned financial issues), then we might be back to the first options of keeping service in your name.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#10 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

I could be wrong but I thought Dish Mover was a once-a-year perk... I don't think you can do multiple moves in a year.

IF I'm right... then I would use the free Dish Mover now to move the account where you are going to be in January and then either visit her a lot :) or live without TV for a few months in your temporary location.

Currently you can do as many moves as you want. Price depends on qualification. Many qualify for free, and those that don't usually won't be over $100 with a few exceptions such as those with international programming.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...