Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help with external enclosure

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

I have read through the DTV recommended esata list. Here is what I have:

a new HR 21-200

Thermaltake Max 5 Active Cooling Hard Drive Enclosure - http://www.amazon.co...ils_o00_s00_i00

Western Digital AV-GP 2 TB SATA II Intellipower 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Hard Drive - WD20EURS - http://www.amazon.co...ils_o02_s00_i00

This didn't work for me. After much trial and error, here is what is happening.

1. The ThermalTake Enclosure + the WD 2TB drive do NOT work with the HR 21-200. (This is the setup I was hoping for, since all that equipment is new)

2. The ThermalTake Enclosure + the WD 2 TB drive does work with the HR 20-700. ( an older DVR I have)

3. The ThermalTake Enclosure + an (older) WD 1 TB drive works with an the HR 20-700.

4. The WD 2TB drive + an (older) Antec XM enclosure I have work in the HR 21-200.

So basically, the Thermaltake and the 2TB HDD does work in the old 20-700 but not the new 21-200.

By working things around and switching things around, I know the TT enclosure is not defective, the 2TB HDD is not defective, the Esata port on the HR 21-200 is not defective.

But there is something about the combination of the TT enclosure and the 2 TB drive should work but doesn't.

I know you could say I should just use the Antec XM but it is older and makes alot of noise. Plus I really like the TT one, because of the way it cools.

So does anyone have any idea about why this would be happening? Everything is in working order except when you combine the TT with the 2TB with the HR21-200. For some reason, it's like the HR 21-200 and the TT do not mix well but it is a setup many people have.

The HR 21-200 is the new DVR I have so that is why I want to upgrade them HDD on it to 2 TB. The HR 20 is on it's way out....

Sorry if this is posted in wrong section.

Edited by missparker10, 01 August 2012 - 02:35 PM.

"Hope your apple pie was freakin' worth it!"

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router),
Vizio LCD L32(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:19 PM

No one has any idea what the heck could be the issue?

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router),

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

Try disabling the intellipower, if possible. Perhaps the old enclosure keeps it spun up, where the new enclosure spins it down before the DVR can read it, or times out before it spins up.

Try turning on the enclosure and immediately turning on the DVR as soon as you hear the drive seek.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

OK I'm googling this right now so I can see how to do it. I will try it. Thanks. Now hopefully I'll figure it out.

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,049 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

We had a couple threads with very loaded info about different DVR model and different external eSATA drives.

I would read all of them to see if your case discussed (I have a feeling its been done).

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

If there's any kind of jumper on the drive take it off. I vaguely remember something about the HR21's and 64mb drives. I recall someone saying they took off a jumper and it worked fine. Not sure if it was an EURS or not though.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

If there's any kind of jumper on the drive take it off. I vaguely remember something about the HR21's and 64mb drives. I recall someone saying they took off a jumper and it worked fine. Not sure if it was an EURS or not though.

The EURS doesn't come with jumpers, just the port to put the jumpers if needed and they aren't needed anymore. The 64 cache HDDs were a problem at first, but that's been solved.

Couple weeks ago I hooked up a TT docking station to an old 22-100 and it wouldn't recognize the EURS I had hooked up to it. Had to swap eSATA to eSATA cables to get it to work. I originally used the jumper cable that came in the box with the docking station and that just would not connect. Then I grabbed an old jumper cable out of a bin and it did work. Thought at the time that the new cable was bad. For years I've been saying that I've never had a bad jumper cable and there it was, I thought. Even posted an apology.

Now I see this happening to someone else with a 21-200 and have to think it might be an incompatibility with TT jumper cords and 21-200s. Do you have any older eSATA to eSATA jumper cords laying around? Might work, did for me. This last paragraph addressed to the TS who is having the problem.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

No one has any idea what the heck could be the issue?

Have you tried using the MX-1's eSATA to eSATA jumper cord?

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

OK I'm googling this right now so I can see how to do it. I will try it. Thanks. Now hopefully I'll figure it out.

Try the jumper cable first.

Rich

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

Try disabling the intellipower, if possible. Perhaps the old enclosure keeps it spun up, where the new enclosure spins it down before the DVR can read it, or times out before it spins up.

Try turning on the enclosure and immediately turning on the DVR as soon as you hear the drive seek.

That TT enclosure shouldn't be giving him problems. If you read my other posts on this thread you'll see what I mean.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

I hadn't tried to disable the intellipower yet becauseTBH I was kind of chicken. I read some things that said you shouldn't do it because it could mess with the HDD so I was sure the HDD wasn't bad and didn't want to do anything that would break it.

I am going to try a different cable. I assumed the cable was fine because it worked with the other DVR but since you mention there might be an issue with the TT cable in particular and the HR21-200, I will swap cables and try. Thanks. I'll post with results.

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),

#12 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

I hadn't tried to disable the intellipower yet becauseTBH I was kind of chicken. I read some things that said you shouldn't do it because it could mess with the HDD so I was sure the HDD wasn't bad and didn't want to do anything that would break it.

I am going to try a different cable. I assumed the cable was fine because it worked with the other DVR but since you mention there might be an issue with the TT cable in particular and the HR21-200, I will swap cables and try. Thanks. I'll post with results.

You'll note how much more rigid the TT jumper cables are than the cables that come with the MX-1s. Whether that has something to do with it has been suggested, but I never had that problem before. I'm kinda glad to see that someone else is having the exact problem and I really want to see if it's caused by TT's jumper cable. I've used the TT jumper cables ever since I bought my first TT docking station and never had a problem with them and I'm really looking forward to you hooking up that MX-1 cable and seeing if that solves your problem.

If that fixes your problem, please let us know, so many folks get their problems fixed and we never hear from them again.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 02 August 2012 - 09:17 AM.
stupidity, didn't read the post before submission

#13 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:20 AM

OK well I used the MX's cable and it still didn't recognize. I can't really think of anything else. I'm thinking of just getting the docking station since a lot of people have luck with that.

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),

#14 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:55 AM

OK well I used the MX's cable and it still didn't recognize. I can't really think of anything else. I'm thinking of just getting the docking station since a lot of people have luck with that.

Nutz! I thought that would work for sure. Sounds like you've just about proved that it's the enclosure that's causing the problem. If that enclosure works with one model it should work with them all.

I've had nothing but good luck, for the most part, with the TT docking stations and haven't heard many complaints about them. I gave up on enclosures a while ago, only have TT docking stations now. If you get one, stay away from the on/off switch on the back of the dock. Just turn it on and leave it on. Pull the cord when you have to reboot. The on/off button seems to be the only problem with the TT docking station.

When installing a TT docking station, the blue power light will come on and then flash red while the HDD is spinning up. When the red light goes out, plug in the HR and it should boot up and recognize the external HDD. You will see red flickerings in the blue power light when the external HDD is recognized.

One more thing, did you try reversing the MX-1's jumper cord when it didn't solve the problem? Don't know why, but that helps sometimes.

Rich

#15 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,067 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

The EURS doesn't come with jumpers, just the port to put the jumpers if needed and they aren't needed anymore. The 64 cache HDDs were a problem at first, but that's been solved.

Ok, that's what I was remembering then.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#16 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

I haven't been able to test by reversing the MX-1's cables yet, family watching Olympics all night, but as soon as I do, I will report back.

Funny the things you don't think of yourself. I honestly never considered reversing the cable and trying it that way. Maybe this will be the lucky step. I don't think so but I am always willing to try.

And thanks for the tips on installing the TT docking station when I get it, Rich. It helps to be helped by people with experience using the equipment I am new to.

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),

#17 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:18 AM

Reversed the XM cable and still no go. I actually got the docking station today, quick delivery, so I am going to try that now. I am really hoping this works.

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),

#18 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

Ok just hooked up the TT docking station and it worked like a charm the first time. So I'm happy that it's finally working but sorry we couldn't figure out a fix to help someone else out if they have the same problem in the future.

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),

#19 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

I haven't been able to test by reversing the MX-1's cables yet, family watching Olympics all night, but as soon as I do, I will report back.

Funny the things you don't think of yourself. I honestly never considered reversing the cable and trying it that way. Maybe this will be the lucky step. I don't think so but I am always willing to try.

And thanks for the tips on installing the TT docking station when I get it, Rich. It helps to be helped by people with experience using the equipment I am new to.

That worked for me on a RAID setup I had, only time reversing the jumper cord worked.

I was thinking about you yesterday. Couldn't get a TT dock working and then couldn't get another one working. Thought I had jinxed myself. After an hour of swapping various wires, feeds to the TTs, power feeds to the TTs, I sat back and decided it must be the HDD and it was.

I've had some wicked problems with the power feed to my house, wrecked the meter pan, wrecked the main breaker panel, wrecked the big capacitor in my condenser unit, and so on. Most of my stuff is on UPS devices, but not that one HDD and it died. All because we had that terrible storm last Halloween, or thereabouts. Actually called WD for a replacement. Easy process.

Glad your problem is solved, mine keep popping up, all because of that storm and my drunken neighbor who refuses to trim his trees and one of them fell on my powerline leading to my home.

Rich

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

Ok just hooked up the TT docking station and it worked like a charm the first time. So I'm happy that it's finally working but sorry we couldn't figure out a fix to help someone else out if they have the same problem in the future.

But you did, now we know there are problems with the TT enclosures, too. First time I've seen anyone post about a bad TT enclosure. Adds to our knowledge base and helps folks decide which way to go with external devices for HDDs.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...