Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New HR34, now how can I do some thing?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hotot

hotot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

Thanks yes I understand. Most of these splitters have dip switches I can set to reproduce the EDID info from a certain port or figure lowest common denominator ect.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   amenic

amenic

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

I don't think you're going to have a lot of luck with that. The handshake was designed to work with HDCP content protection in mind. The way HDCP works is that a library of codes are provided to approved companies to put on approved devices, with the understanding that their device cannot be used to create and unencrypted copy of the content. So in this case the HR34 would check your TVs code against it's own library to authenticate, and if it can't find or authenticate a code, no programming. So no Premium Movie Channels or PPVs (including 3D PPVs). If you're splitting the connection it tries to authenticate 2+ devices symultaniously, so odds of success are slim.

Now when dealing with unencrypted content it's obviously less picky. The purpose of a handshake would just be to send information about the screen's resolution and 3D capability. If a device like an HD receiver or an XBOX doesn't know what resolution to send, it will go with its default setting until you change it manually. Dtv HD receivers only send out 3D signal if they detect the 3D handshake. There is no option for manually setting it. So my guess is that while the splitters you've purchased are mostly correct in claiming that they can pass through a 3D signal as well as an "EDID info" handshake with resolution information, they might not be able to do the more specific and unusual feat of passing along the fact that your TV is 3D compatable. Thus the receiver doesn't know, and disables 3D channels. 3D is more of a hardware upgrade than you might think. The HR20 can't do it at all.

#23 OFFLINE   hotot

hotot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:33 PM

Well I went ahead and bought the Monoprice 7522 and split the HDMI. It works! 3D fine on the TV off the splitter. The other HDMI is going into the splitter that uses the cat6 to the other TVs. In the end it cost me another $50 (and a not as clean solution) because the monoprice Product 8207 HDMI 1x4 splitter which says 3D all over it is NOT 3D compatible (at least not with the directv hr34).

#24 OFFLINE   ExCavTanker

ExCavTanker

AllStar

• Registered
  • 96 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Glad you hung in there and got what you needed to accomplish your mission. You remind me of a cousin of mine who built an AMC drag car instead of Chevy based car and had to deal with far more difficult to find and expensive parts but in his mind he was not following the crowd (in this case D* whole home service).

#25 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:37 PM

I don't think you're going to have a lot of luck with that. The handshake was designed to work with HDCP content protection in mind. The way HDCP works is that a library of codes are provided to approved companies to put on approved devices, with the understanding that their device cannot be used to create and unencrypted copy of the content. So in this case the HR34 would check your TVs code against it's own library to authenticate, and if it can't find or authenticate a code, no programming. So no Premium Movie Channels or PPVs (including 3D PPVs). If you're splitting the connection it tries to authenticate 2+ devices symultaniously, so odds of success are slim.

Now when dealing with unencrypted content it's obviously less picky. The purpose of a handshake would just be to send information about the screen's resolution and 3D capability. If a device like an HD receiver or an XBOX doesn't know what resolution to send, it will go with its default setting until you change it manually. Dtv HD receivers only send out 3D signal if they detect the 3D handshake. There is no option for manually setting it. So my guess is that while the splitters you've purchased are mostly correct in claiming that they can pass through a 3D signal as well as an "EDID info" handshake with resolution information, they might not be able to do the more specific and unusual feat of passing along the fact that your TV is 3D compatable. Thus the receiver doesn't know, and disables 3D channels. 3D is more of a hardware upgrade than you might think. The HR20 can't do it at all.

This will also only get worse because soon all programming will have HDCP. The C31 already implements HDCP on all programming not just the premiums that are protected now with other receivers.

#26 OFFLINE   hotot

hotot

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

The splitters are powered and HDCP compatible so I don't think it will be an issue. As far as the HR34 receiver is concerned it just sees one "TV" that is always on and hooked up to the unit, the splitters take care of the rest. Since I won't have any other outputs connected other then the HDMI cable I think I should be fine. Next time they have a free pay channel preview I'll let you know.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...