Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Tech completely changed my Dish/Sats - ok?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dakn2

dakn2

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:06 PM

Been a Dish customer for almost 13 years. I always have done all of the installs myself; from dish mounting/upgrades, wiring; receivers/upgrades, etc.

I'm located in a suburb north of Chicago. Anyway, as of late I've been having some "Lost Satellite" issues, mainly on 129; but to a lesser extent occasionally on 110 and 119. I did a few PMs with Raymond G here on DBSTalk regarding my signal strengths and he agreed that they were weak and the outside dish may need to have the aiming re-tweaked. Since Raymond could have someone do it for free; I thought why not...

The tech came this morning and first stated that visually it appears my trees weren't an issue; however after getting some readings from the dish he thought it might be the trees after all. So I thought he would just move the dish to the top of the roof like everyone else in the neighborhood (I had mounted it on the roof but about 18 inches above the gutter; both for ease of getting to it and so that you can't see it from the front and side of the house).

Rather than relocating the dish higher on the roof; he decided it better to remove my present dish and LNBs pointing at 100 / 119 / 129 and replace it with a new dish set up pointing at the eastern arc 61.5 / 72 sats. I will say the new black dish set-up looks nicer; the signals are indeed stronger on the two sats; but still I have a few questions:

- Is this typical? I can't say I know of anyone pointing at 61.5 / 72 in my area (Chicago).
- Do I lose any channels? (I don't have internationals so that's not an issue)
- Are there any drawbacks to this new set-up?

Thanks in advance for any info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

As long as you get your locals, the new satellites have everything you need.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

If you have another pointing problem, it's easier to point to two sat than three. The only channel I can think you may have lost is the Ion-w channel that is only on WA. You should have Ion-e, same channel only 3 hours earlier.

#4 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

If the technician was able to receive a stronger signal from Eastern Arc satellites then he would have adjusted your DISH antenna for Eastern Arc. The DISH antenna and LNB that the technician replaced are 1000.4 (Eastern Arc DISH antenna). If you notice that you are missing any channels please send me a PM.

#5 ONLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 821 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:09 PM

I know all the Chicago local stations are available on 110, 119 and 129. 3 or 4 years ago they mirrored at least the local HD stations on 61.5. If you want to list the Chicago local stations you are receiving with the new setup I'll check them against the ones I get on western arc.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that I had low signals on 129 along with an LNB drift when I called Dish last winter. At the time I had a second dish aimed at 61.5 from years ago. Usually after trying 129 both my receivers would switch to the stronger signal on 61.5 for Chicago HD stations. The technicians Dish sent insisted on taking down the 61.5 dish completely and installing a black dish aimed only at western arc. They had a clear shot at eastern arc so I wonder why they didn't do what your tech did if that would give me all channels?

spam firewall