Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

dang

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DGEXPRESS

DGEXPRESS

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:34 PM

I am getting rid of my landline. How will that affect my 722k? Do i need to do anything?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

The only con that is actually noticable will be that you won't be able to order ppv via your remote. That's about it.

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:43 PM

BZZT ! -

If you have broadband, Connect it to your HD receiver - then PPV / VOD will be available from your remote.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   Tecmo SB Guy

Tecmo SB Guy

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:00 PM

If you have Caller ID and have it displayed on your 722K you won't be able to use it anymore but other than that, what scooper said about connecting it to your broadband will work fine for getting PPV and Video On Demand.

#5 OFFLINE   Andy74

Andy74

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

You might get audited by Dish (Dish assumes that all subscribers with multiple receivers and no phone line are sharing the account with others).

This wasn't a pleasant call, the people they hire to do this act like they own the world. I had my dish service shut down on 2 out of 3 receivers at a time when I was in hospital for 2 weeks and wife had other things to deal with besides not getting TV.

#6 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

I was told (several years ago), that I would have to pay another $5/mo. if I did not have a land line. That may have changed.
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

I was told (several years ago), that I would have to pay another $5/mo. if I did not have a land line. That may have changed.

It was a $5 discount if phone line was connected, this has since been discontinued.

#8 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Yep, we got rid of our landline before we switched from DirectTV to Dish, they installed 3 receivers and just connected via broadband. Never had a problem or inquiry.

#9 OFFLINE   idahocouchpotato

idahocouchpotato

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

We also have multiple receivers and no phone line and have never has any whiff of any audit. I wonder if it is because we are in a house instead of an apartment building? Also, my impression is that it is reasonably common for people to not have a landline anymore, so maybe that is no longer a metric that triggers an audit?

#10 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

Not sure what will cause an audit. Only thing for sure is the more receivers on an account that are connected to phone/internet and in the same area will decrease the chance of an audit.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...