Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

BUG REPORT?:SD (Standard Def) Quality Problem!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:27 AM

I'm using a DVI cable on a Sony KF-50WE610 (GWIII), and the 921 SD using "Normal" mode upconverted to 720p or 1080i is simply not as good as it should be... Which is to say that it is not as good as taking a 508 and hooking it up using an S-Video cable. It's watchable, but it's not as good.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   pculley

pculley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:49 AM

I suspect that we are seeing an effect of the internal de-interlacer and scaler on the 921 being inferior to that on many of our TVs. It is possible that the analog outputs are not too well adjusted either; I have observed quite a bit of variation on the output levels of the various Dish receivers (versus VCRs and DVD players). For best possible results, you should probably watch SD in 480i on the DVI port, thus eliminating the analog effects. :( Oh wait, the 921 doesn't put 480i on the DVI port!!! :mad:

The next best trick is to record a test patterns from somewhere (I caught one by accident from a local station and HDNET puts up a poorly chosen color-bar in a weekly show) and adjust the TV settings accordingly. You can find instructions for adjustments using color bars in AVIA or Video Essentials DVDs or probably on the web. In my case, the svid output was significantly different than the output of my DVD player's svid. When adjusted the picture is markedly better.

#23 OFFLINE   rudolpht

rudolpht

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:25 AM

I'm using a DVI cable on a Sony KF-50WE610 (GWIII), and the 921 SD using "Normal" mode upconverted to 720p or 1080i is simply not as good as it should be... Which is to say that it is not as good as taking a 508 and hooking it up using an S-Video cable. It's watchable, but it's not as good.

Thank you for saying what I was trying to say in English.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...