Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New install ip address, local link?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

Came back to D* after 2 1/2 years. Got an HR34, a DECA box and an H25. Can't see the HR34 on the iPad. Looked at the router to verify network ip. The Mac address of the hd34 shows up twice! Once as the expected 192.168.1.xxx and again as 169.254.xxx.xxx. On the hd34 advanced network setup page this is listed as the local-link. Did a Whois lookup and read that this is in a range reserved for, uh, local-links. Set Mac address to a static ip in the 192.168.1.xxx range where the iPad and H25 reside.

The 169.... Still shows up, the iPad still can't find the HR34.

Another probably related issue: the h25 can see a recorded show on the hr34 but when I try to play it back I get a no video or audio packets received message.

Another issue: in advanced network page, Network services wouldn't start in auto. Set it manual forwarded the ports in the router (from where to where?) and the services say they start but fail a connection test. If I put them back to auto they won't even start. Don't know what "network services" are.

Need some help, please?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

Don't worry about Network Services.

As for the IP address, have you rerun the Network Setup on the HR34? If you haven't do that and post your results. You can also reboot the router as that will force the router to reassign IP addresses.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:46 AM

ReDo Network Setup: success connected to DirectTv result code = 08-047
Reboot router still no HR34 on the iPad
It does find the H25 but keeps telling me program access is blocked no matter how many times I set it to allow.

What's new on the network? All the D* gear.
What's old? Wired - PC, printer, LG tv, Onkyo AVR, blu-ray, Gigabit switch
WiFi - iPad, Apple Tv.
Router is a Netgear WNDR4000 running DD-WRT

When I press the dash button it says SWiM connected and the DVD RID. Should it also give Ethernet status?

System test only complains about no phone line.

#4 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

Two hours on the phone with DTV - installer coming back. Apparently the DECA box shouldn't be directly in back of the HR34 and should not be on a common splitter with the coax to the DVR. Broadband interference is the current suspected culprit. CSR (technical department after 15 minutes with frontline) says the installer should have run 3 outs from the 8 way, not two. One each for the HR34, H25, and one for the DECA. Instead he put the DECA and HR34 on the same leg off the 8 way. It also has the 21 volt power for the antenna..

CSR suggests putting the DECA in the room with the H25. There is no Ethernet line in there. Phone tech says they can go WiFi. Not sure about that. There is good signal there and plenty of bandwidth but I would think hard wire is best.

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

Try removing the DECA box altogether from the receiver(s)! They shouldn't be there.

I prefer to set fixed IPs on the receivers, and I put them within the range of the router's normal assigments, but above what my other gear will take. Handy because they can end in .24 or .25 or .34.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,918 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

There is good signal there and plenty of bandwidth but I would think hard wire is best.

While I agree hard wire is always best, in this case wireless is okay. It will only involve downloads from DirecTV, not MRV, and the wireless CCK is a pretty decent device.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

One more thought. If you'd care to diagram your setup, post it in the thread called "Ask VOS" or similar. He and others following that are great with detecting, uh, short circuits.

Good luck.

#8 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

Two hours on the phone with DTV - installer coming back. Apparently the DECA box shouldn't be directly in back of the HR34 and should not be on a common splitter with the coax to the DVR. Broadband interference is the current suspected culprit. CSR (technical department after 15 minutes with frontline) says the installer should have run 3 outs from the 8 way, not two. One each for the HR34, H25, and one for the DECA. Instead he put the DECA and HR34 on the same leg off the 8 way. It also has the 21 volt power for the antenna..

CSR suggests putting the DECA in the room with the H25. There is no Ethernet line in there. Phone tech says they can go WiFi. Not sure about that. There is good signal there and plenty of bandwidth but I would think hard wire is best.

Try removing the DECA box altogether from the receiver(s)! They shouldn't be there.

I prefer to set fixed IPs on the receivers, and I put them within the range of the router's normal assigments, but above what my other gear will take. Handy because they can end in .24 or .25 or .34.

If the DECA the OP is referring to is a CCK, then that type of DECA is okay. There shouldn't be an issue with it being hooked up behind the HR34. However, removing the Ethernet cable from the CCK and rebooting the receivers will still allow MRV to work. This is a way to determine if an issue is the router/CCK or the receivers.

Also, with just the two receivers, there is no reason to have a 8-way splitter. A 2-way splitter would work just fine and save a lot of loss of the signal.

Also, as for static IP addresses, make sure that if you picked an address in the DHCP range that your static IP addresses are via DHCP reservations. Setting a static IP address within the DHCP range is not a good idea.

- Merg

Edited by The Merg, 05 August 2012 - 11:51 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:53 PM

Installer is coming back Wednesday. The case manager CSR and whoever he was talking to think I have broadband interference.
Here is a pic and a block diagram. They also don't think the HR34 and the DECA should be on the same coax from the 8-way (SWM?).

Attached Thumbnails

• diagdbs.jpg
  • dbspic.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:59 PM

Also, as for static IP addresses, make sure that if you picked an address in the DHCP range that your static IP addresses are via DHCP reservations. Setting a static IP address within the DHCP range is not a good idea.

Merg-

My experience is quite the opposite. I initially set the IP addresses on the receiver as I couldn't easily do reservations on my Netgear router, [WNDR3400.] I found that there was a benefit in that I could use .20, .24, and .25 as ending numbers, very handy for IDing individual receivers on my LAN.

I've had no problems related to my home network using this system. But this may not work well for other routers....?

I am not sure what the likely problem is in setting IPs within the DHCP range, but my wireless devices all grab from .01 to .10, leaving 10 slots open before the fixed IPs assigned to the receivers.

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

Merg-

My experience is quite the opposite. I initially set the IP addresses on the receiver as I couldn't easily do reservations on my Netgear router, [WNDR3400.] I found that there was a benefit in that I could use .20, .24, and .25 as ending numbers, very handy for IDing individual receivers on my LAN.

I've had no problems related to my home network using this system. But this may not work well for other routers....?

I am not sure what the likely problem is in setting IPs within the DHCP range, but my wireless devices all grab from .01 to .10, leaving 10 slots open before the fixed IPs assigned to the receivers.

The problem with setting static IP addresses within the DHCP range is that the router could assign that IP address to a device. DHCP assignments do it just go in order, so while it might only be using .01 to .10 right now, that's not to say it won't change. In your case, it's an easy fix: just set the DHCP range to end at .19. For most people, 20 devices is plenty.

- Merg

#12 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:53 AM

The problem with setting static IP addresses within the DHCP range is that the router could assign that IP address to a device. DHCP assignments do it just go in order, so while it might only be using .01 to .10 right now, that's not to say it won't change. In your case, it's an easy fix: just set the DHCP range to end at .19. For most people, 20 devices is plenty.

- Merg

I am not sure it could assign my HR20's IP addy to another device, but won't have a way to test that other than lowering it to the range that it assigns to my wireless devices and nomad. Should I get anywhere near 20 devices in addition to my DIRECTV® receivers, I'd make the change.

So far, the range has never been over .10, and I have fewer devices now thanks to burglars.

#13 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:09 AM

My Cisco EA4500 (aka E4200v2) wouldn't allow Reservations outside of the DHCP Pool but I returned that anyways for another AirPort Extreme and I have them set outside the Pool again.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:31 AM

Installer is coming back Wednesday. The case manager CSR and whoever he was talking to think I have broadband interference.
Here is a pic and a block diagram. They also don't think the HR34 and the DECA should be on the same coax from the 8-way (SWM?).

When you don't know what to do/say, they seem to start pulling crap out of their....
Your block diagram looks fine. The best I can see in your photo is fine.
The HR34 has two IP addresses. The 192.xxx from your router, and a 169.xxx for RVU clients.
"Broadband interference", who knows what they're talking about, but since the DECA to router goes through a switch, see what happens without the switch and the DECA running straight to your router.

Make sure the H25 is using the 192.xxx IP

Edited by veryoldschool, 06 August 2012 - 08:42 AM.

A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:08 AM

VOS is the man, he knows his stuff. I'm inclined to agree with him. The only thing I'm wondering is how long your cable runs are. Going through the PI and then another 2-way... shouldn't be a lot of loss but with long runs it could be an issue. I would do a separate run from the SWiM to the PI and use a 4-way with separate runs to each device.If the HR34 is in the same room as the router, then get rid of the splitter and Cinema Connection Kit (deca) and run ethernet to the HR34. It will give internet to the H25.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

VOS is the man, he knows his stuff. I'm inclined to agree with him. The only thing I'm wondering is how long your cable runs are. Going through the PI and then another 2-way... shouldn't be a lot of loss but with long runs it could be an issue. I would do a separate run from the SWiM to the PI and use a 4-way with separate runs to each device.If the HR34 is in the same room as the router, then get rid of the splitter and Cinema Connection Kit (deca) and run ethernet to the HR34. It will give internet to the H25.

While that 8-way isn't needed, the distance [coax lengths] from the dish to the HR34 "can be" as much as 150' without any problems, and still have some "head room".
There's "a plus" to having the 2-way between the DECAs and the PI. The loss of the splitter is a load/impedance match that reduces problems with the PI being close to the DECAs. Without the splitter, longer coax does the same thing, but who wants 20+' of coax coiled up behind the receiver, so the PI can be there.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Thank You VOS and Stewart.

I'll try bypassing the switch asa soon as my wife moves to the other TV.
I don't need the CCK? I'll try that.

If bypassing the switch works then it's off to Fry's for another 50' CAT6

I installed directv2pc and it finds the HR34 with no problems.

#18 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Bypassed the ethernet switch - no change

Bypassed the CCK
re-ran network setup
both H25 and HR34 report good connection to DirecTv
reinstalled the DirecTv iPad app
iPad finds the H25 but not the HR34 so - no change

I'll have the installer put the Power Injector on its own SWiM line when he comes tomorow

#19 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:38 PM

Cable lengths - antenna to 8-way - 40'
8way to PI then HR34 - 60'
8way to h25 - 80'

I assume the PI can be an endpoint? If so then 8way to PI will be - 10'

#20 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,779 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I'll have the installer put the Power Injector on its own SWiM line when he comes tomorow

It might make someone "feel good", but if your iPad can't find the HR34 and it's connected to your network via ethernet, relocating the PI won't have any affect.
The PI location, when it's a problem, is with the DECA/coax networking signal, so removing the CCK, just took that out of the chain.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...