Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New install ip address, local link?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,565 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Sorry, didn't grok all that you wrote - re having just the 31's. I don't currently have a C31, but have read of others with the same issue. I've also read of some issue with Airport, and I will alert the man who's written about it to look in on this thread.

Also, I was convinced to change all my DNS servers to someone outside of Comcast's default. (Didn't take much to get me to dump them on that part). That helped the iPad app- a wonderful app- hook up a lot quicker and more solidly to the receivers.

However, let's see how your new box works, and go from there.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   BengalMan

BengalMan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thanks for your help!

#43 OFFLINE   BengalMan

BengalMan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

An update, well, not much update. Nothing is working still which is very unfortunate to say the least. If anyone has any info or guidance it would be much appreciated.

#44 OFFLINE   BengalMan

BengalMan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

New box arrived today. Been busy. Tomorrow is Sunday which means NFL, and I'll be damned if I deal DirecTV CS on a Sunday when I'm trying to watch football.

On another note, I spoke again with the customer retention people last night. I FINALLY had someone speak the truth and give me the low down on this whole HR34 issue. They know that the HR34 has serious issues with the DirecTV everywhere, apps, and syncing up with all mobile apps (Sunday Ticket, Big Ten Network, or anything that needs you to sign in). They also know that sending out a new box usually fixes this. They have been SPECIFICALLY instructed to run through ALL troubleshooting options, then "send it to an engineer". Ultimately, the young lady I spoke with told me they aren't supposed to issue any new boxes for the issues at hand, and she was "shocked" that someone actually processed a new box to be sent out. She said they are all well aware of the whole host of issues involving the HR34 Genie, but more or less have been instructed to dance around it, and ignore it until they can figure out how to fix it.

Needless to say, this is very unsettling to me. Hopefully this new box fixes these issues. If not, I will just end up canceling due to them straight up lying to me and the rest of their customer base and launching a product that doesn't function the way it is advertised to.

#45 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,829 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

I think part of the issue is that you are using an address in the class A space of 10.x.x.x while using the class C subnet of 255.255.255.0 ... It shouldn't make a difference, but In my experience it does. Would it be possible to use the 192.168.1.x address space instead?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#46 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 921 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

New box arrived today. Been busy. Tomorrow is Sunday which means NFL, and I'll be damned if I deal DirecTV CS on a Sunday when I'm trying to watch football.

On another note, I spoke again with the customer retention people last night. I FINALLY had someone speak the truth and give me the low down on this whole HR34 issue. They know that the HR34 has serious issues with the DirecTV everywhere, apps, and syncing up with all mobile apps (Sunday Ticket, Big Ten Network, or anything that needs you to sign in). They also know that sending out a new box usually fixes this. They have been SPECIFICALLY instructed to run through ALL troubleshooting options, then "send it to an engineer". Ultimately, the young lady I spoke with told me they aren't supposed to issue any new boxes for the issues at hand, and she was "shocked" that someone actually processed a new box to be sent out. She said they are all well aware of the whole host of issues involving the HR34 Genie, but more or less have been instructed to dance around it, and ignore it until they can figure out how to fix it.

Needless to say, this is very unsettling to me. Hopefully this new box fixes these issues. If not, I will just end up canceling due to them straight up lying to me and the rest of their customer base and launching a product that doesn't function the way it is advertised to.

This agent fed you a buncha crap....I've had the HR34 for almost a year and have none of the issues described. I mean think about how would a new box 'fix' any of this....she/he has no idea what they are talking about
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#47 OFFLINE   BengalMan

BengalMan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

This agent fed you a buncha crap....I've had the HR34 for almost a year and have none of the issues described. I mean think about how would a new box 'fix' any of this....she/he has no idea what they are talking about

Check the DirecTV forums. There's about 4 pages worth of these exact issues, all with the HR34

#48 OFFLINE   BengalMan

BengalMan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think part of the issue is that you are using an address in the class A space of 10.x.x.x while using the class C subnet of 255.255.255.0 ... It shouldn't make a difference, but In my experience it does. Would it be possible to use the 192.168.1.x address space instead?

We tried changing it to 192.168.1.X, nothing changed. I can change it back, don't know how to change and mess with the Subnet's though?

#49 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,639 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Not to pick on Apple, but I tend to think that is where the trouble comes from.
My HR34 doesn't have these problems, though I don't use mobile apps.
I googled the Apple Airport Extreme to find instructions and apple didn't supply any like I can get with most of the other routers I've searched for.
Maybe apple does supply this info, but they sure make it hard to find.

All of the routers I've used [and I'm not the great expert here BTW] give me a page like this:

02Capture.PNG
A.K.A VOS

#50 OFFLINE   BengalMan

BengalMan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hooked up the new box, called to get it activated, 10 minutes later it's activated, and GUESS WHAT? Everything is fixed, just as I suspected.

iPad finds the HR34
Sunday Ticket App says I now have the Sunday Ticket and I can watch it
TV apps all work
I can schedule recordings on DirecTV.com

Like I said from the get go, when these problems happen, a new box is pretty much the only thing that will fix them because it pretty much completely re-ups all the information to DirecTV's servers and fixes all the issues, making what the CSR told me a few nights ago very true.

If anyone has the above issues, get a new box and they'll be fixed. I'm just glad this is finally worked out.

Edited by BengalMan, 25 November 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#51 OFFLINE   TedBarrett

TedBarrett

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Or, if possible, just de-activate and re-activate the HR34. That worked for me but I have a H25 and not the C31.

If I remember correctly when the installer hooked up the new dish, HR34, H25 and the CCK he activated the HR34 before the H25. I think he also used a phone app to do the activation. Perhaps the installer's app isn't making all the entries in all the databases that the CSRs' software does. Or perhaps the HR34 can't be the first box activated.

Used to write software for a living so this is a somewhat educated but probably wildly wrong guess.

#52 OFFLINE   BengalMan

BengalMan

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Or, if possible, just de-activate and re-activate the HR34. That worked for me but I have a H25 and not the C31.

If I remember correctly when the installer hooked up the new dish, HR34, H25 and the CCK he activated the HR34 before the H25. I think he also used a phone app to do the activation. Perhaps the installer's app isn't making all the entries in all the databases that the CSRs' software does. Or perhaps the HR34 can't be the first box activated.

Used to write software for a living so this is a somewhat educated but probably wildly wrong guess.

Unfortunately in my situation, along with others with similar set ups, CSR won't and can't deactivate the HR34 if it's the only box on the account. You are correct though, if you have another box on your account, deactivating the HR34 and re-activating it will indeed fix the issues. I spent hours trying to get a CSR to just do this, but couldn't get it done. The new box ultimately fixed it because it re-upped all the data into DirecTV's servers.

spam firewall