Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Adobe admits using technology to block attempts at counterfeiting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:17 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) - Adobe Systems Inc. acknowledged on Friday it quietly added technology to the world's best-known graphics software at the request of government regulators and international bankers to prevent consumers from making copies of the world's major currencies.

The unusual concession has angered scores of customers.

Adobe, the world's leading vendor for graphics software, said the secretive technology ``would have minimal impact on honest customers.'' It generates a warning message when someone tries to make digital copies of some currencies.

MORE

I heard rumblings about this before, but caught the whole thing on Tech TV today. Adobe and Jasc have both implemented a security feature in the new versions of Photoshop and PSP that prevent the scanning of the new $20 bills. Like anything digital, there are already probably ways to get around it with various tricks or patches. With that aside, what do you think of this?
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 09:45 PM

Counterfeiters are stealing from all of us. I have to wonder about the people who are angry about this.

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,206 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 January 2004 - 01:00 PM

This one incident in and of itself isn't too bad - but it's a camel's nose in the tent.

What if the government told Adobe to put in back-doors for PDF files that has "seditious content"? How about making software that would not allow dissemination of information on controversial topics?

It's a *bad* precedent.

#4 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 05:42 PM

OTOH, it's not necessarily a precedent. Just because Adobe agrees with the government that using their product to make your own money does not mean they would be so willing to accommodate the government in any and all requests.

#5 OFFLINE   firephoto

firephoto

Icon

• Registered
  • 863 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 11:19 PM

It doesn't work, I don't remember the specifics but I believe you can paste the image of the money in or something else. There was a specific way it was processed to determine if it was money or not. All current US currency doesn't copy or scan very good due to the way the design is, the curved lines in the ovals get reversed and distorted when copied scanned. You'd have to not be paying attention to take a phony bill anyway, there are very few "good" fakes out there. Never trust a store to not pass you one either. Once it hits your hand, you're stuck with it unless u can pass it off on someone else without getting caught.

I don't know how many people printing fakes are buying the latest photoshop right when it comes out anyway. There's plenty of other programs and probably the quality of the scanners/printers don't make a need for using an editor unless they just use it to get a full page of bills before they print. lol

#6 OFFLINE   IanF

IanF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:50 AM

The irony is if we change the $20 appearance every couple years, eventually you'll get an installed base of multiple bill versions and it will be a lot easier to pass counterfeits, particularly overseas where they don't see US bills everyday.

Cashier: "Hey, this bill looks odd."
Scammer: "Sheeeya! It's that goofy bill they released after the pink one but before the hologram one. Looks terrible; I can understand why they replaced it."
Cashier: "Huh. Yeah..."

#7 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:24 AM

The way they explained it on Tech Live is that even if you scan the $20 into another program and try to paste it into Photoshop it still won't work. I have Photoshop 7, haven't upgraded to CS yet so I can't try it.

Good point Ian
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#8 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:40 AM

This is not new, color copiers and such have always been made to copy at a slightly different size just to hurt counterfitting.

#9 OFFLINE   hpman247

hpman247

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 29 February 2004 - 12:51 AM

I agree that counterfeiters are only hurting us honest people, but what if the gov't paid off adobe the have some sort of back way communication between them and us. That would be a violation of our privacy, and i would not be surprised if in the future the gov't will know everything we do, do i see a "Animal Farm" coming up. I sure hope not.

#10 OFFLINE   JerryLA

JerryLA

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 10:57 PM

Having been in the printing business for over 30 years I don't find it a huge surprise that Adobe has taken this action. With the quality of the paper alone used in currency these days it would be quite hard to manufacture believable bills but not impossible. Even if you could scan the image and hold all the detail coming up with suitable inks is another problem in itself. We are using the current Adobe CS programs and although I've never tried scanning in currency it does not surprise me that you would not be able to. Lets face it, in the last 10 years software has become much more sophisticated and at the same time more limited. My company is an authorized Adobe Service Provider and they limit what we can and cannot do with software and even the Adobe logos in our advertising. Years ago, around the time of Photoshop 4 you could buy one copy and install on as many desktops as you wanted. Now even as an "authorized " service provider I am limited to how many units I can install one license on. Is it just me or does this sound very close to "Mr. Bills Microsoft?" It doesn't really bother me that Adobe has made this agreement. Seems to me the only ones concerned are ones that may be tring to do some funny business. I remember when the first really good Xerox Color Copiers came out.... people were copying $20 bills and passing them off to unsuspecting waitresses in bars at closing time. Bottom line, if someone wants to dealve into the business of counterfitting they will find a way, with or without Adobe.

#11 OFFLINE   JM Anthony

JM Anthony

Child of the 60's

• Gold Members
  • 3,126 posts

Posted 02 March 2004 - 11:09 PM

This one incident in and of itself isn't too bad - but it's a camel's nose in the tent.

What if the government told Adobe to put in back-doors for PDF files that has "seditious content"? How about making software that would not allow dissemination of information on controversial topics?

It's a *bad* precedent.

I understand your concerns, but I'm far more concerned about some of our gov't's other actions as well as inactions. I don't see any slippery slope on this one. Taking one more tool out of the hands of crooks is OK with me.
John Anthony
and Gus, the 22# Wonder Cat
E* since ‘96

Protected By... spam firewall...And...