Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Special Phone Number?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DolphinGirl

DolphinGirl

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

I sent an email to D* to ask when my contract was up. They replied with a phone number 800-824-9081 that required I enter a provided PIN. When I called, the guy basically was trying to sell me stuff.

Was this retention or just a standard number?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bigmike200587

bigmike200587

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

I sent an email to D* to ask when my contract was up. They replied with a phone number 800-824-9081 that required I enter a provided PIN. When I called, the guy basically was trying to sell me stuff.

Was this retention or just a standard number?

It is the retention number.
Self Built Xion Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4 GHz
Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB Ram

I am a DIRECTV employee however all views, expressions, opinions, facts, platitudes, conjecture, compliments, criticisms, are mine even if logic dictates otherwise and are not on behalf of DIRECTV, TiVo, Thompson/RCA, Technicolor, LG, Samsung, Zinwell, or any company that may or may not be affiliated, contracted with, in the same country, making money, not for profit, or a government entity.

#3 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,386 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

It is the retention number.

Why do you need a PIN number?

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

It's not the "retention" number it's just another number that allows you to enter a pin. That PIN will determine where you go. PIN numbers expire after a brief time so that people don't just use them to fast track to departments. Most specialty departments will use them so customer's in special situations can get through to that department quickly.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   bigmike200587

bigmike200587

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:29 PM

Why do you need a PIN number?

Rich

This is the retention number......could you imagine how many people would just call this number if you could call straight in?

I am a DIRECTV employee however all views, expressions, opinions, facts, platitudes, conjecture, compliments, criticisms, are mine even if logic dictates otherwise and are not on behalf of DIRECTV, TiVo, Thompson/RCA, Technicolor, LG, Samsung, Zinwell, or any company that may or may not be affiliated, contracted with, in the same country, making money, not for profit, or a government entity.

#6 OFFLINE   mkohlman

mkohlman

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

Actually had the same situation today. Emailed DirecTV after having a frustrating experience with equipment and asked them when my contract was up. Got the same reply and the same push.

Thanks for the replies here, while DirecTV isn't really solving the problem for me right now it helps to know what that number was about.

Question: Would it help to email DirecTV instead? if so what would be the best email address?

#7 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,907 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

It's not the "retention" number it's just another number that allows you to enter a pin. That PIN will determine where you go. PIN numbers expire after a brief time so that people don't just use them to fast track to departments. Most specialty departments will use them so customer's in special situations can get through to that department quickly.

They use the same thing for Case Management don't they?

#8 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,228 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

Yes, that was my experience the last time I dealt with case management.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#9 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,386 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:28 AM

I'm used to getting PINs for the Case Management folks, first time I'd heard of a PIN for another number, just curious. Thanx.

Rich

#10 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,386 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

This is the retention number......could you imagine how many people would just call this number if you could call straight in?

Probably the same number of folks that call the regular number and ask to "cancel service". Someone asked me the same question when I began posting the number for the direct line to the Access Card Team. Same answer.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,426 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

The amount of time one has left on their contract should be posted on their "My Account" web page, like it used to be. I am sure it has been removed to stop people from thinking about when it is over. Out of site, out of mind, type of thing.

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

#12 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:05 AM

The amount of time one has left on their contract should be posted on their "My Account" web page, like it used to be. I am sure it has been removed to stop people from thinking about when it is over. Out of site, out of mind, type of thing.

I heard a call a couple of years ago where a lady called in to ask about her end date. When the agent asked why she stated that she was having a problem with her receiver and the dealer she gets them through is no longer a DIRECTV dealer. When the agent asked if he could assist her she said no because she didn't want to pay their service fee. When the agent asked what fee she stated that she was told by her dealer that if she called DIRECTV they would charge her a service fee for each person she spoke with. Every time she had a problem she went through him. She had received multiple receivers from him at cost when all of these would have been covered through the protection plan. The agent then went on to explain her account and how it worked. She had been paying a lot more money than she ever needed, some movie channels, because she thought of the fees.

Now most on here will talk about common sense and even fees would be cheaper. However it's not unheard of for people to have misconceptions of what is real. This may seem like an extreme example but it happens all of the time. People just assume, are told incorrectly, or read it on the internet that this is how things are when it comes to this situation. Just look at the amount of FUD that gets posted on here by ex customers who feel the need to troll to make themselves feel better about switching.

Calling in costs them money so intentionally driving a call should make it clear the priority they place on it is. It can be an inconvenience if you're truly just wanting to know but again I've never heard anyone who just said "I was curious and just really wanted to know" without having an ulterior reason.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#13 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

Calling in costs them money so intentionally driving a call should make it clear the priority they place on it is. It can be an inconvenience if you're truly just wanting to know but again I've never heard anyone who just said "I was curious and just really wanted to know" without having an ulterior reason.

For the record, I've said "I was curious and just really wanted to know" about things many times in the past without having an ulterior reason. I'm a curious person.

Also, there's been multiple times in the past where I've wondered how I stood with DirecTV commitment wise. Only twice (once was last year when I thought I'd have to cancel) have I had an ulterior motive.

~Alan

#14 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,661 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

I called to reactivate an old receiver yesterday, and after doing so asked about my commitment. The CSR said he would have to transfer me to someone else for that, he couldn't tell me.

Have no idea why, and I didn't bother to have him transfer me. I'm pretty sure I don't have a commitment right now, but just wanted to confirm.

#15 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

Well besides the fact it's absolute BS that D* will NOT simply reply to an e-mail with your commitment date, it's even MORE BS that they will NOT EVER put this in writing ANYWHERE - hmm, why do you supposed that is??? :mad: :rolleyes:

#16 OFFLINE   bigmike200587

bigmike200587

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

Yes, that was my experience the last time I dealt with case management.

CM # 8004421635
RT # 8008249081

2 different phone numbers.... not sure what you guys are talking about????

#17 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

CM # 8004421635
RT # 8008249081

2 different phone numbers.... not sure what you guys are talking about????

Phone numbers in systems like these are nothing more than tracking purposes or to jump start to specific menu options in automated systems. The numbers themselves will still have the same effect. If someone calls 18005315000 or 18003473288 (1800 DIRECTV) it's not that they're calling separate automated systems. The PIN is the important part of this whole thing. Once they put that in the system it will send them to where they need to go.

#18 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

Actually the pin number acts as a password to reach that department directly with no transfers from a normal CSR needed. The 1800 number given for case managment or retention is in-fact a direct number to that department. The reason for the password (pin) is once someone gets ahold of a direct number to retention or case management they want to call them for everything rather than using the normal customer service 1800 number. The pin number prevents people from doing that because the pin number is updated once every few days.

spam firewall