Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Does the 508 Have Any Value?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Michael1

Michael1

Legend

• Registered
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

I have a 508 (that I own, not leased). Is it still usable, and have any value?

Michael

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

If it is not active on an account, Dish will not reactivate it. Only value may be if Dish would change it out for a usable receiver, although it may be termed as a leased receiver. Some people have been able to make use of the hard drive but not worth any monetary value as a receiver.

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

Probably it has a cost of s/h to a person who is looking for parts. HDD is not the part and heading trash before shipping to reduce the fee.

#4 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

I have a 508 .... have any value?

Michael

Depends, do you need a door stop? :D

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

I have a 508 that won't boot up. It has some programs recorded that I would like to be able to get to, but I don't know if the problem is because of the HDD or the box.

If I knew I could put the HDD in another box and get it to work, I might be interested.

I don't care about activation if I could view the programs off-sat.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

I have a 508 that won't boot up. It has some programs recorded that I would like to be able to get to, but I don't know if the problem is because of the HDD or the box.

If I knew I could put the HDD in another box and get it to work, I might be interested.

I don't care about activation if I could view the programs off-sat.

Go to Yahoo group dishmod, ask for help, perhaps it possible to re-marry one drive to another working DP501/8/10 ...

#7 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Michael1. Yes it does have some value. I have my 508 connected to a analog TV in the garage/workshop. I did have it activated till mid-spring as I wasn't using the workshop as much and with the extra fee paid, I decided to have it de-activated. However, I found out to my surprise I can watch all the channels that are free, and all those that Dish sends out free each month. Just last night while working in the workshop I turned on the TV and 508 and watched MLB (152) channel. So, it does have some value.

#8 OFFLINE   dontech

dontech

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:22 PM

Interesting -- I have a 508 that I deactivated a year ago ( replaced it with my own 211K) and I saw your prior post. I tried to hook my receiver up to see if I could get the free preview and it said that my smart card was not authorized. I wonder why it does not work?

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

Interesting -- I have a 508 that I deactivated a year ago ( replaced it with my own 211K) and I saw your prior post. I tried to hook my receiver up to see if I could get the free preview and it said that my smart card was not authorized. I wonder why it does not work?

You answered by your self ...

#10 OFFLINE   Skeeterman

Skeeterman

Legend

• Registered
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:47 PM

dontech, now that something to think about, as I just went out to the workshop, turned on the 508 and TV and can watch many channels... such as 240 sports, 152 MLB, and a lot of non paid channels. I was paying $7.00 monthly for the 508 until I deactivated it this past spring. My monthly don't show any 508 as activated.

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,163 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

I'm sure that eventually, all 508's will quit working. Just not sure how long it will be before it happens.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'm sure that eventually, all 508's will quit working. Just not sure how long it will be before it happens.

Letters went out last August stating that it would happen within the next two years ... so August 2013 would be a reasonable target date for removing 501/508s from service.

Whether any not exchanged would "stop working" is something that we'll have to find out a year from now.

#13 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

The 508 should have a purple card in it, someone may be interested in them.

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Most likely it has yellow one.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:31 PM

Purple on a currently active receiver ... but the card without the receiver would be of limited value. At least to legitimate subscribers.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

OP lost his interest to the thread :(

spam firewall