Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On Demand Dowloads

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:40 PM

Throttling in violation of net neutrality,

Let me start by saying I'm in no way a "tinfoil hat" type, but in "the real world" a violation of "net neutrality" seems almost laughable.
Every company will have their own needs first, and then someone else's.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

ISP throttling is a known fact.

"Am I sure"?
Definitely, in my case.
I had both the cable service and the DSL for a few days/week and know for a fact it wasn't on the DirecTV end.

I dont know if they are throttling per se, but not giving a decent upload speed does that automatically. I also know that they know how to recognize certain packet types and on occasion do slow those packets to perserve quality of service for other consumers. But i do think its not fair to sell 12 meg service if they arent prepared to back it up. Just my opinion.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

I dont know if they are throttling per se, but not giving a decent upload speed does that automatically. I also know that they know how to recognize certain packet types and on occasion do slow those packets to perserve quality of service for other consumers. But i do think its not fair to sell 12 meg service if they arent prepared to back it up. Just my opinion.

"And they'll say" we only list it as "up to" speeds.
I got so pissed at my cable service for the same reason. "Sure I have 3 Mb/s" but only at 2 AM! :eek2:
At this time, they had way over sold the service and there were over 500 modems/customers on one node.
A year or two after I dumped them, they finally ran some more fiber and split the node.
A.K.A VOS

#24 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

"And they'll say" we only list it as "up to" speeds.
I got so pissed at my cable service for the same reason. "Sure I have 3 Mb/s" but only at 2 AM! :eek2:
At this time, they had way over sold the service and there were over 500 modems/customers on one node.
A year or two after I dumped them, they finally ran some more fiber and split the node.

I remember when our local cable co sold a minimum speed and it could burst 20x faster if the node wasn't busy.

My setup: HR 44, HR34, 2x HR 24, 2x HR 23-700, 4x C31's, Nomad...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...