Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reusing recycled drive from HR20

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

I am trying to recycle the hard drive from a defunct HR20-100 Directivo. I tried it in Windows, OS X and Linux and although it showed as a 2.2 TB drive (odd, it's a Western Digital SATA 320GB drive) I couldn't get anywhere near reformating or erasing it; I get messages I can't write to it, that it has no partition map, etc. I've used it with 2 different USB enclosures; same result.

Is there any way to make this usable? It was working before I took the DVR out of play.

Rob

PS: I do have the right to mess with this drive; no need to replay with posts about leased equipment, yada yada.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

You'll need to get a partition program and remove the existing partitions then set it up for use with Windows. If you have a Linux box you can do it. Do a quick search for partition programs and you can find some free ones out there. I can't remember the one I used.

Also these drives are not the best for performance as the firmware is setup differently for DVR usage. If you use it as storage only you'll be fine but if you're using it for other things the performance won't be on par to other drives.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#3 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thanks, but NONE of the partition or disk utility programs work. Not gparted, not fdisk, not diskutil, HP USB. It doesn't show any partition map, and any attempts to write to it at all fail. Is it somehow password protected?

I just wanna use it for archiving stuff.

#4 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Last I checked no but I haven't done this in a long time as the performance wasn't worth the time and HD's are so cheap. There's a thread around here about copying them so you might want to read the part on how to mount and copy as that would let you mount and format.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

You need to unlock the drive. If the HR20 it was in was not shutdown properly then the drive is locked. You can search "drive unlock" and you should find the info you need.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#6 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Not sure what you mean. But the HR20 has an on/off button, and chose "off" and it shut down. I don't have Directv service any longer so there aren't any other options.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:53 PM

Not sure what you mean. But the HR20 has an on/off button, and chose "off" and it shut down. I don't have Directv service any longer so there aren't any other options.

He just parroting some not knowledgeable ppl who post they BS here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ht=drive unlock
Worst case (usually the drives are OK for using anywhere) - you'll need run once a Linux cmd hdparm -s0 /dev/sdb

#8 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,131 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:03 PM

If you put any dollar value on the time spent working on this problem you'll no doubt be better off just buying a new drive.

Of course, what fun is that?
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#9 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:30 PM

He just parroting some not knowledgeable ppl who post they BS here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ht=drive unlock
Worst case (usually the drives are OK for using anywhere) - you'll need run once a Linux cmd hdparm -s0 /dev/sdb

Standby? I tried that. I keep getting the same error:

SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, yada yada.

And doesn't seem to spin up at all, although it will boot the old DVR.

Shows in gparted, but any attempts to partition get an error that it doesn't have a partition map, and it can't create on.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:54 PM

Post SMART data here. Or bring it to Pebble Beach ;).

#11 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

SMART data...as if.

But the spin advice is on the right track. There was a BTW in one of hdparm man pages I was looking at; I think that the puppy has a hardware pin setting to remain in standby and not spin up. So I connected it back to the DVR, and turned it on. As soon as it spun up, I yanked the data cord and attached it to my Mac. It showed up and I reformatted it.

But of course it wasn't that simple. If I tried to use it with my normal USB cabling, it wouldn't spin up. The simple format I did obviously didn't change the spin parameter. There are no obvious external jumpers or anything, so I assume this is still the firmware sensing a pin or something. The DVR might throw it some instruction to spin up; it can apparently reinstall some software from the DVR.

#12 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

There is no off button, only standby. If you pulled the plug while it was in standby you most certainly did not do a proper shutdown and the drive is locked.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#13 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:31 PM

I'm not "parroting" anything and it's NOT "BS". The drives get locked if you do not do a proper shutdown. I've had to unlock quite a few.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Standby? I tried that. I keep getting the same error:

SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, yada yada.

And doesn't seem to spin up at all, although it will boot the old DVR.

Shows in gparted, but any attempts to partition get an error that it doesn't have a partition map, and it can't create on.

If it's not spinning up it is most certainly locked.

Do yourself a favor, save some time, and find a copy of MHD3 and unlock the drive.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Found that software but you have to put it into a PC; won't run but on master or slave internal cables, apparently, not from a USB drive. I least I couldn't get it to recognize a drive. And I can't tell if it is really locked; as I said, if I start it up within the DVR I can then reattach a USB/serial connector and format it.

It just won't stay that way when restarted outside the DVR. Gonna try a low-level format.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Any formatting will NOT change the standby mode.

You are talking about a content of normally using sectors, while the mode(s) stored in service track , what is not available to you. Try to get hdparm -s0 working first.

BTW, what exactly model number? Please post all letters (not that way as you posted SMART data ).

Oh, last thing first - "HR20-100 Directivo" ?! Seems to me it's normal DTV DVR HR20-100, not a TiVo ... Perhaps you mangled with numbers ? ;)

In case you mistyped the numbers and it is really UTV, then try the mhd3 from here http://www.dealdatab...nlocker-for-UTV
but I have my doubts: the program from 2003, written for UTV drives, these drives are IDE/PATA and you'll need to find [Asus or Abit] motherboard what have in BIOS setting to treat SATA drives as IDE.

Edited by P Smith, 04 August 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:07 PM

Oops, sorry. Just a DTV DVR.

Drive is wd3200js, lba625142448

Still get that "SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: " error when trying -s0

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

Oops, sorry. Just a DTV DVR.

Drive is wd3200js, lba625142448

Still get that "SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: " error when trying -s0

I did emphasize on FULL model name, but you gave reduced info. It has more letters after dash.

And where is SMART data ?

Try bootable CD with MHDD 4.5 or 4.6; press Shift-F2 to obtain extended info about security level and its status.

#19 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

It has a mdl no of wd3200js-63pdb1.

DCM isdhbaca2chn, if that matters.

And as noted previously, none of the tools I have used can access any SMART info on this drive. Not even the serial no. Which is probably diagnostic. This is true of both the drives I've been testing.

And the symptoms persist whether I used the SATA power connection or the legacy power.

thanks for the help. I'm working on MHDDset up; good suggestion.

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,330 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

I will wait for MHDD's info ...

spam firewall