Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Reusing recycled drive from HR20

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:34 PM

"Ended up reformatting by using Ryobi Variable Speed Drill"- eeeeh ! Are you really broke the drive ?

Told yeah - bring it here. You would have another good drive to your PC.

As I searched, I found lots of people who came to grief with these. I didn't care about the data...but as it turned out, I'd never have anything I would trust with these WD drives. And the more I saw of their stuff, the more convinced I was to stick with Seagate or Hitachi or anybody but WD!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Would have been easy by downloading turn_off_poweron_in_standby.iso and creating a boot disk. Would have saved you a LOT of time and you would have had a good drive, not a set of chrome coasters.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,342 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

As I searched, I found lots of people who came to grief with these. I didn't care about the data...but as it turned out, I'd never have anything I would trust with these WD drives. And the more I saw of their stuff, the more convinced I was to stick with Seagate or Hitachi or anybody but WD!

I'm still thinking you are NOT physically destroyed the drive. Did you ?

#29 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,496 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Better remove Hitachi from your list. Another one bites the dust (in terms of hard drive divisions).

#30 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

We all have different experiences, personally in my over 20 years of IT, I buy nothing but WD drives...we go through the OEM Seagate drives in our Dells at work like they're candy...

#31 OFFLINE   rob_gendeau

rob_gendeau

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:32 AM

Would have been easy by downloading turn_off_poweron_in_standby.iso and creating a boot disk. Would have saved you a LOT of time and you would have had a good drive, not a set of chrome coasters.

You're right...if that had worked. It didn't.

And yeah, I did physically destroy the drives. Perhaps it's just my mentality from work, where it's required, but I don't turn lose drives with any possible hope of recovery. I also shred files. And I pull drives from devices I have sent in for repair. I don't trust many people I guess....

#32 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

We all have different experiences, personally in my over 20 years of IT, I buy nothing but WD drives...we go through the OEM Seagate drives in our Dells at work like they're candy...

We use Seagate drives at work as well and have the same results. I'm constantly swapping out drives.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#33 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,324 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

You're right...if that had worked. It didn't.

Not sure why it didn't. It works for me on every drive I have to unlock, and not just HR2X's drives.

And yeah, I did physically destroy the drives. Perhaps it's just my mentality from work, where it's required, but I don't turn lose drives with any possible hope of recovery. I also shred files. And I pull drives from devices I have sent in for repair. I don't trust many people I guess....

Destroying a drive before throwing it out is never a bad thing. At work we have a machine that pretty much shreds them. At home I take them apart and smash pieces.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Protected By... spam firewall...And...