Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My friend broke contract

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,345 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

You really sound like you're in a position of authority regarding legal interpretations of documents pertaining to DIRECTV® accounts.

Re-read my post and come up with a smart deflection of that one.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,892 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

<snip>It also states that the ELA is separate and apart from any other agreements you may have made. Your association of the two seems unwarranted. <snip>

You are incorrect. The very first paragraph of the Equipment Lease Agreement states...

The Customer Agreement, together with this ELA, comprise the terms of your service agreement with DIRECTV. Please be sure to read and keep copies of both.

As you can see it specifically states that the ELA and Customer Agreement comprise the complete TOS for DIRECTV service. There is no ambiguity what so ever. There is no assumptions to be made. I suggest you read both agreements before making such unwarranted comments.

Additionally, the courts have consistently upheld such agreements as binding.

There doesn’t seem to be anything to in either the User or Lease Agreements that applies to the topic. However, Pepe Sylvia’s posts (Link) implies that there’s a potential that the OP could lose the discount. I wonder what length of time constitutes an account that is “active and in good standing”.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#43 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

You got to be kidding.

No... signal reception of any kind can be influenced by weather, sun spots, the angle of the signal coming in vs the amount of sunlight coming in from a different angle, how much rain falls 50 miles south of you while you are sitting in the yard with sunshine looking at the clouds in the distance wondering why *you* aren't getting a signal....

It isn't "cut and dry" really. I know we have come to expect that technology serves us human masters for the full 100% all of the time, but reality is that weather has it influences on many many things.

I don't know how old you are, but if you ever listen to AM radio.... ever noticed that when you had the radio sitting on the kitchen counter the signal would come in fine, and then one day it would not.... but you would move it to the living room window and it would be clear again? Ground signals bounce around a lot, clouds/weather have different effects, satellite is a lot better than terrestrial type signals but it still has weather related, and/or seasonal related issues.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#44 OFFLINE   csgo

csgo

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:37 PM

DirecTV has their fanboy internet lawyers out in force on this site as usual. I doubt if any have the first clue of what a contract is... or in this case an untenable agreement that would have us believe that anyone can agree to a contract that gives one party authority for unilateral changes. It's a worthless bunch of garbage that is used to take advantage of people that won't exercise their rights. But it is interesting to note how DirecTV makes sure the internet lawyers keep drinking their kool-aid.

#45 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,870 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

OK, let's please back off the rhetoric. There's no reason to be rude.

If you don't like your customer agreement, your options are limited. You can enter into arbritration, you can simply pay the early termination fee and be done. Or you can come to a fan forum and vent, that's fine too.

However, you may not accuse others or be uncivil. Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#46 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

I guess I'll be clearer than I was before.

Once the discounts start applying to the account there is no longer any validation that is required to keep the credit going. The only way the credit would be removed is if the account receiving the discount were to have service interuption, a request to disconnect service, or a complete disconnect. In some cases the credit may re-apply after said interuption but you would want to ask about it specifically.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,688 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

I sold an iPad2 on eBay a few months ago. You know the line that says by bidding and winning this item you enter into a binding CONTRACT with the seller and eBay?

The guy who bought the iPad immediately sent me a message after the auction ended stating firmly that he had no intention of paying for it. Went back and forth with him and finally let eBay take care of the matter. After all, they are the ones who say you are entering into a binding CONTRACT when you bid and win.

What happens? Nothing. Turns out eBay has no recourse but to block the buyer from the site. That was all they could do.

Called my lawyer and he asked me if $400 was really that important to me that I'd take the buyer (he lives in NJ, too) to court for it.

Nixed that idea and gave the iPad to my son who uses it constantly, but the whole thing raises questions in my mind about "contracts".

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   rgs825

rgs825

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

If it matters any, my friend broke wind the other day at choir practice. Was a right stinker it was. :barf:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...