Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sirius Satellite Radio Coming Back 2013?!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skaman74

skaman74

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:37 PM

Just saw this on wiki but probably just a bunch of bull...but here's hoping!

ForumRunner_20120805_013658.png

rolltide

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   myselfalso

myselfalso

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:27 AM

Yeah I don't buy that since there isn't even a citation on that. That, and it's location since it's underneath the references. I'm sure it'll get removed pretty quickly.

I hope it's true though.
I have been a DirecTV subscriber since 2005.

A few channels I'd still like to see DirecTV add are:
CSPAN3, the PAC-12 Network(s), BBC World and more international news channels.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,540 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

On the main Sirius-XM Wiki, it was added at the end of June, by an IP address at Windstream.

#4 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

[ATTACH]29710[/ATTACH]

Congrats if it is true.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#5 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

846 sounds like a legit channel number... Here's hoping!

#6 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,524 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:13 PM

I'd like to see it, but most likely it is bull. This has popped up on Wikipedia in the past.

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#7 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Wiki?
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Wiki?

And the truth comes out. Darn..I was hoping it was true.

#9 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

I've defected to Slacker Radio after the merger, prior to that I had XM for five years. From what I understood about reduction of playlist depth to sound quality post-merger, the only scenario which I would come back would be for the radio shows. However, most of which I listen to already have podcasts.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

They reduced number of stations and bit rate!?
I have them on trial in my car and am not impressed.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:17 PM

When it was switched to SonicTap I said I do not care. Now that it is being switched back I still say I do not care.

How many actually listen to music through their TV provider? I have XM and do not need to listen to it through my TV. I can listen to it online and get many more channel choices.

#12 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 786 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:10 PM

I listen to Pandora. It's miles better than Sonic, Sirius/XM, or any other of those crap providers they pay big money for. Directv should just ditch the music and save a ton of bandwidth.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

#13 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

Directv should just ditch the music and save a ton of bandwidth.

The bandwidth for music is minimal - it is video that takes up all of the space. I do agree, though, that XM has gone downhill since the merger.

#14 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

When it was switched to SonicTap I said I do not care. Now that it is being switched back I still say I do not care.

How many actually listen to music through their TV provider? I have XM and do not need to listen to it through my TV. I can listen to it online and get many more channel choices.

Some folks have their audio system connected to the DirecTV reciever. I would have to guess there are far fewer people who have an internet connected device setup in their main viewing area just to listen to music. For some, it is a big deal.

#15 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,540 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

Some folks have their audio system connected to the DirecTV reciever. I would have to guess there are far fewer people who have an internet connected device setup in their main viewing area just to listen to music. For some, it is a big deal.

Quite a few have their DVR connected to the Internet, I sometimes wonder how many do actually now that DirecTV is pushing it.

#16 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

I listen to Pandora. It's miles better than Sonic, Sirius/XM, or any other of those crap providers they pay big money for. Directv should just ditch the music and save a ton of bandwidth.

Quite a few have their DVR connected to the Internet, I sometimes wonder how many do actually now that DirecTV is pushing it.

The Pandora app on D* is great. I use that all the time and my HDDVR is connected to my audio receiver. I also have a SiriusXM subscription which I also listen to just as much. Here is a thought. I wonder if D* will ever give us a SiriusXM app just as they do with Pandora in the extras menu. That way those that have an SXM internet subscription can use their D* receiver to push through to their audio systems.

#17 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:42 AM

Music takes virtually no bandwidth. I know SiriusXM is using 128 Kbit/s per channel for music and 64 Kbit/s per channel for talk-radio/sports. Assuming DirecTV would only carry the music bits, if they were to carry about 60 channels (which I think is more or less what they have now too with Sonic), it would take up roughly the same bandwidth as 1 HD channel.

More importantly, they can put the music channels on satellites that aren't used for HD bandwidth, so in the end it really doesn't cost a whole lot, and it wouldn't take away bandwidth to provide HD channels to customers.

I personally love the music channels. I use it all the time with parties. As a matter of fact, I have three receivers, and usually my entire house is open when we have a party, so I just tune in all receivers to the same music channel, and off we go. (Only downside I have found is that the DVR will switch channels when you have 2 recordings at the same time, but I can live with that, just manage the recordings for that night before the party).

It is completely in sync in every room as well, something you won't be able to do with an internet-connected service like pandora, because each device buffers a number of seconds in to memory before it starts playing. Even within the same house and on the same internet connection, it is pretty much impossible to get e.g. your kitchen receiver and livingroom receiver in sync with each other using Pandora, or any internet-based streaming service for that matter.

I like the Sonic Tap music selection as well, but would not be opposed at all to SiriusXM. I have that in 1 of our cars.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#18 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Yeah I don't buy that since there isn't even a citation on that. That, and it's location since it's underneath the references. I'm sure it'll get removed pretty quickly.

I hope it's true though.

Their stock is up today.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#19 OFFLINE   Hot Tub Johnny

Hot Tub Johnny

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

I listen to sonicTAP all day when i'm home. I like it as a change of pace from the XM i have in the car and at work.

Both sonic and xm are way better than what time warner had.

#20 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

I have no interest in the music channels. I have an iPad with the SXM app, IPhone with the SXM app and a portable boom box that it slides into if I want to listen at home. I have never listened to Pandora or Sonic Tap.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...