Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cable question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:56 AM

Is there any way to convert the hdmi signal from a vip reciever to rg6 coax?

If the answer is yes, will the signal still be HD when it gets to my LCD?

I have patio that has a RG6 cable drop. I would like to put an LCD out there. I would like to use the HDMI out on my vip211, convert it to RG6 and then hook to the LCD on the patio. Obviously it would be a mirrored image of the LCD that the 211 is currently hooked up too.

Thanks...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

HDMI to coax baluns/extenders do exist - but be prepared to pay $400+. Just search Google. It might be cheaper to pay someone to fish an HDMI out there for your though.

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

If you think of what you're asking... what you are asking for is something to take the HDMI output and re-encode it to MPEG4, or MPEG2, or whatever so that the other device can re decode it... you basically need a mini-computer to do that... which is why such devices exist but are fairly expensive.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   fraisa

fraisa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

or just go buy a wireless hdmi sender
i use one that i got from best buy
cost me 249 bucks
and works great out side.
i run it from the second hdmi jack from my av receiver to the outside projector on a 70 inch black diamond screen works awesome

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

I forgot about those... still a chunk of change, but better than the coax converter and no need to run any new cable for wireless.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#6 OFFLINE   Calvin386

Calvin386

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Wireless HDMI. Great idea! That will work and it's why I come here and ask questions.

Thanks

#7 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

Just be careful which one you purchase and make sure you can return it if it doesn't meet your expectations. Typically these run at 5 Ghz and some run at 60 Ghz. At 60 Ghz you will not be going through any walls and these are mainly for the connections in the same room. At 5 Ghz you can get through one wall but multiple walls could be a problem.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#8 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

The other option would be to upgrade the 211 to a Hopper and Joey which can send an HD signal over RG6 coax and give you HDMI at the remote location.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

spam firewall