Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Lightning in Etters Pa (Harrisburg)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:04 AM

On Friday at 3pm we had a thunderstorm that contained the most lighting that my cable guy said he had ever seen in his life (i have cable for internet) I wasnt home at the time and all of my electronics were turned off. I have 6 D receivors (3 HR's and 3 H units)

When i got home from the office, my daughter was complaining that "her" hdtv in the living room (hr22-100) wasnt working. the TV was saying "no signal" no the HDMI input

The H25 in the kitchen was fine and working with the HDTV

The HDTV in my grand dauthers room was getting the same "no signal" on the TV hdmi input from the H24

My bedroom HDTV (hr22-100) same thing..Tv on but getting the no signal msg

The HDTv in my daughters bedroom (H21 supplied) was fine and working with no issue

My home theater in the family room was fine.. HR21-100 & Samsung 52" hdtv
THANK GOD !!!!!

My cable modem and router and DECCA power insertion is in my bedroom. I had no internet and my cable modem and router were dead. The moden wouldnt even light up.

I have 3 wireless ROKU units in my home, my bedroom my grand daughters and family room... in the bedroom, the TV's were not seeing any input. Granted i was off the internet but I would have seen the ROKU start up screen.

Last, I have a Davis Vantage Vue wireless weather station on my roof, That was dead, no wireless signal to my indoor monitors. There was no indication of any lightning strike on my house or surrounding trees...It must have been whizzing all around my home though.

I called D and they told me to check my hdmi cables and all the simple stuff and get back to them. I did call my cable company and they had a service guy out Saturday morning to replace the modem and fortunately I had an extra linkseys router becuase my router was shot too.

I also pulled my HR22-100 from my bedroom to a non affected room and connected it and it worked fine so I dismissed any damage to my receivers.

I have an electronic HDMI spitter installed as my old Olevia HDTV had only one HDMI input so we can watch a DVD player and not fuss with changeing cables into the TV. I bypassed that switch and went straight into the TV and wal-la, up came the signal from my D receiver.

Once the cable guy got me back online, I stared to suspect two things:

1) The lighting surge may have entered thru the cable line

2) The affected TVs all shared the same problem..They seemed to have non-functional HDMI inputs...that maybe the lighting had damaged them. The reason I feel this way is that I can connect from my D receivers via my RGB TV inputs and all my D recievors can be viewed with this input on all the affected TVs.

In addition, once I had my D receivers up and running thru my RGB connections I noticed that the DECCA unit in my bedroom that is used for the power inserter was not lighted..none of the three LED's so I borrowed the DECCA unti from my daughters room and used it and bang it started right up so my whole houes is working now

So, my questions are:

1) Can lighting take out HDTV's HDMI inputs?

2) Can D just ship me a new DECCA unit? I dont want to pay for a site visit as I dont have the protection plan.

And surprise surprise, my Davis weather station began tranmitting yesterday morning. I thought it was fried... Very strange...

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am lucky I had no damage to anything else in my home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,238 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

Yes lightning can take out HDMI connections. It can take out just about anything and everything. Doesn't matter if something is off, if it has a wire connected to it, lightning can find it.

Workaround to HDMI, use Component cables to TV if you can.

By the way, unplug every tv, every set top box and leave them unplugged for a few minutes. Then plug things back in. Sometimes the software in tv gets corrupted. Might bring HDMI back to life.

DECA units are easy to come by. You have nothing to lose by asking Directv to ship you one. They are plentiful. You can find them on many websites.

#3 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

Hmm.. you must have gotten it alot harder than us....

That explains why Saturday afternoon craigslist started having cheap TV's with bad HDMI ports... :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#4 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks NR4P. Tried the the unplug reste on the TV's, didnt help bring back the HDMI inputs. The funny thing is the HDTV in my grand daughtes bedroom was unplugged but it was hooked up to my D receiver...strange...

#5 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:07 AM

Old School, well i live in Etters and the cable guy said there wasnt a lot of rain or wind but he had never seen lightning strikes in the Newberrytown area like that in his life.... well my affected TVs are in the bedrooms so component will have to do.. The HDMI inputs were taken out on only two TVs and one electronic splitter of six, go figure..

#6 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 386 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Old School, well i live in Etters and the cable guy said there wasnt a lot of rain or wind but he had never seen lightning strikes in the Newberrytown area like that in his life.... well my affected TVs are in the bedrooms so component will have to do.. The HDMI inputs were taken out on only two TVs and one electronic splitter of six, go figure..

Yeah it was kinda bad.. we are in the emigsvile area ourselfs...

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#7 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:29 AM

Old School..we are neighbors, probably live less then 10 miles apart..

#8 OFFLINE   MrDad0330

MrDad0330

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:11 PM

Just want to give kudos out to D for getting me out a new DECA unit to replace the one "killed" by the lightning surge. Talked to a young lady in technical and she has a new unit on its way to me no charge.. Thanks Directv....

Edited by MrDad0330, 05 August 2012 - 06:18 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...