Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Curiosity Landing Coverage?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

don't know of an Hd feed.

Only on C band with a 5' or larger dish... or http://www.ustream.t...v?rmalang=en_US

Attached Thumbnails

• nasa.jpg

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

Other way around. Nobody's interested so there's no coverage.

Well, this is from DirecTv's facebook page asking how many people will be watching:

You and 1,020 others like this.

Looks like there are SOME people interested :)

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#23 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:17 PM

Watching the Nasa Channel's coverage and they don't have the aspect right. I've run through all of the various format options on my tv and HDDVR (Directv) and the right and left sides are being cut off. Overall, not a big deal. Still, wish they could get it right.

And, by the way, here's a big thumbs up for space exploration!

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#24 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

I think the HD stream is fantastic.

http://www.nasa.gov/...tv/ustream.html

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#25 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Wow!:joy:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#26 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Great show.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:39 PM

Congrat to all participants !
That's something !
[Eating peanuts does really helped :)]

#28 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:49 PM

Here you go. Congrats to NASA!!!

Apparently they had so many people trying to watch, both the Nasa and JPL websites crashed. Glad to see there is still interest.

Attached Thumbnails

• nasa2.jpg
  • nasa3.jpg

Edited by Davenlr, 05 August 2012 - 11:59 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

Curiosity News Briefing coming ... not earlier than 11:15 pm PDT

#30 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,602 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:45 AM

While we are currently without a delivery vehicle for manned space flight Curiosity's successful entry and landing on Mars proves we still have what it takes. Nice job NASA!

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#31 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:16 AM

Well, this is from DirecTv's facebook page asking how many people will be watching:

Looks like there are SOME people interested :)

You and 1,020 others like this.

Out of how many million subscribers?

This 'search for ET' stuff should be privately funded.

Disband NASA, or at least or at least merge it with NWS for near-space and solar observation.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#32 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,679 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

That's not one of its goals. One goal is whether Mars has been able to support life in the past, but that's quite different.

http://www.nytimes.c.../budget.html?hp

All of NASA is inside the general sciences box, in the lower right.

#33 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

One goal is whether Mars has been able to support life in the past,

Which is irrelevant.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#34 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,679 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

But it's a bit of a tangent. If you're analyzing the geology, you might as well run a few extra tests while you're there. The fact that dinosaurs existed on earth can be considered irrelevant to modern life (other than fossil fuels etc), but doesn't mean we shouldn't know about them.

#35 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:57 AM

Watched the HD stream last night. Exhilarating. Not like the Moon landing, of course (I'm too young to have witnessed that), but still very very special. Man, how I wish we would actually go back to the Moon and further outer space, including Mars. People, I mean, not robots. HBO's "From the Earth to the Moon" is one of my all-time favorite miniseries precisely because it's all about that wonder that was around that era of space exploration. I'm with Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson, it's so sad no human has ever left low-Earth orbit in more than three decades. At least, there are some tentative plans for a manned mission to Mars in the 2030s, but we should at least get back to the Moon. That's the one and only thing I agree on with Gingrich :)

#36 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,151 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yes this is exactly the kind of thing we should be spending our money on! We need things that are going to inspire us to reach higher and try harder! Things that inspire people to want to learn about math, science and engineering, the more people we have with this sort of education the better off we'll all be. Seems to me we don't spend nearly enough for NASA! Way to go Curiousity! :goodjob::flag::icon_da:

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#37 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

Yes this is exactly the kind of thing we should be spending our money on!

I agree. Build spaceships instead of fighter jets. Just how many of those jets do we really need anyway? This isnt the 60's. No one is going to attack us with their army. If they attack us, its going to be viral, stealth, or terrorists. We need to get back to square one, and educate our kids to know more about life than cell phones and video games.

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,679 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

I agree. Build spaceships instead of fighter jets. Just how many of those jets do we really need anyway? This isnt the 60's. No one is going to attack us with their army. If they attack us, its going to be viral, stealth, or terrorists. We need to get back to square one, and educate our kids to know more about life than cell phones and video games.

Maybe we need to make the games harder to run. Back when I was a young kid, I actually had to learn memory management to play my games, editing the config.sys and autoexec.bat files etc to get more kilobytes of RAM back before the days of memmaker. Especially when I had only 384k of conventional. Or IRQ conflicts. I think sometimes it took a good 30 minutes to get things just right for it to run, and was quite educational. Not to say that there aren't other things to learn.

#39 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Instead of games being harder, they should be more realistic. Pay $40 for the game, plug it in or load it... Practice in the practice round. Then play the game. When you get shot the first time, the disc self destructs. Want to play again, go buy another copy.

Never understood the concept of getting killed, and then keep on playing.

#40 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

I've been looking forward to this for months, and it's exciting that NASA was able to create this intricate landing method and pull it off!! Nothing can compete with manned spaceflight, but this was definitely cool! :D

spam firewall