Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

external drive for HR24-500

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   playintennis5274

playintennis5274

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

hello.. is a 3tb external drive ok to use w/ the hr24-500? its for my parents. once the external drive is pluged into the dvr, do i just plug in the dvr and turn it on? and if the dvr only uses the external drive, if they want to watch anything on the old one, do they need to unplug the external drive then reboot, or turn it on? No way to transfer the old drives contents to external one? Thanks for your help guys..

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,071 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:01 PM

hello.. is a 3tb external drive ok to use w/ the hr24-500? its for my parents. once the external drive is pluged into the dvr, do i just plug in the dvr and turn it on? and if the dvr only uses the external drive, if they want to watch anything on the old one, do they need to unplug the external drive then reboot, or turn it on? No way to transfer the old drives contents to external one? Thanks for your help guys..

You can use a 3TB drive but you'll only get 2TB out of it. There's a drive limitation of 2TB on all DirecTV HR units.

With an external hooked up you can't see what's on the internal. You have to power down and remove the external if you want to watch what's on the internal.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,061 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:33 PM

check here http://www.dbstalk.c... external drive

also using Search by the keywords you'll have a lot of answers ;)

#4 OFFLINE   playintennis5274

playintennis5274

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

thanks guys. my parents had an hr10 a while ago that i did the internal swap w/ a drive i bought from weeknees. that was a piece of cake. but since they wont do that w/ this model, & after reading the steps & time taken to swap internals & transfer data, im not sure i wanna do that. thanks for your help

#5 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 812 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

playintennis:
Check your private messages for info.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...