Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No NASA HD on D*?!?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:26 PM

I am watching the coverage of the Curiosity landing on Mars now on NASA's website in HD since D* only shows NASA in SD. If they are giving away the HD channel to everyone, why doesn't D* show it? Being a government channel, I would guess it's free to everyone all the time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:23 AM

I am watching the coverage of the Curiosity landing on Mars now on NASA's website in HD since D* only shows NASA in SD. If they are giving away the HD channel to everyone, why doesn't D* show it? Being a government channel, I would guess it's free to everyone all the time.

While there is no carriage fee, it is not entirely free. DirecTV still needs to bear the cost to upload the signal to the satellite, and they need the bandwidth on the satellite to transmit the signal back to earth. The government only provides the signal to DirecTV for free. Everything that it takes to get the signal from DirecTV to you does cost money and takes away resourses that DirecTV could be using to provide another HD channel.

#3 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

I don't see it that way - those are fixed costs, IMHO.

#4 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

Just go to NASA.gov, the HD stream can be found there and is indeed of better quality than the NASA SD feed on DirecTV.

Not that it was that more exciting in HD..... they were the same coffee-loaded, bearded, tired-looking scientist waiting for a word from the rover. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#5 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,235 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

at least it's a free channel AT&T U-verse forces you to get U-300 with stars and showtime to get it.

and some cable systems have it in a sports pack.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

Sure they are fixed costs, but they are costs nonetheless. Even DirecTV has limited resources. They could use those resourses for NASA or for some other channel. Bandwidth is not infinite.

#7 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 471 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:52 AM

NASA in HD would be nice, but D* has limited bandwidth at the moment. A present HD network (like Shorts) would have to be removed or planned additions would have to be delayed to add it.

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#8 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

A present HD network (like Shorts) would have to be removed

That is not happening. Shorts HD is HD only, and it has a carriage agreement, probably for several years. Removing it would be a breach of contract. I know plenty of people seem to hate this channel, but it isn't going to be removed. Not until it's contract expires, and I don't know when that is. Usually, contracts are signed from anywhere between 3 to 10 years, it really depends. 5 years seems to be an average.

As a matter of fact, once HD is added, it probably will not be removed again, unless the channel itself (like G4 or Versus back when) is removed completely.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#9 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:52 AM

Just another slap in the face to DirecTv subscribers . DirecTv sucks ! No HD Nasa channel . What a joke !

#10 OFFLINE   pfueri

pfueri

Godfather

• Registered
  • 438 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

That is not happening. Shorts HD is HD only, and it has a carriage agreement, probably for several years. Removing it would be a breach of contract. I know plenty of people seem to hate this channel, but it isn't going to be removed. Not until it's contract expires, and I don't know when that is. Usually, contracts are signed from anywhere between 3 to 10 years, it really depends. 5 years seems to be an average.

As a matter of fact, once HD is added, it probably will not be removed again, unless the channel itself (like G4 or Versus back when) is removed completely.

Shorts what a waste of a channel in HD ! This channel sucks !

#11 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

DirecTv sucks !

This channel sucks !

Somehow I got "Beavis" in my head now from the old style Beavis and Butthead on MTV.

I am the Stig.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:11 PM

The costs are only fixed if they have the bandwidth to burn. If they don't, much capex is involved. DIRECTV discovered the high cost of taking channels down temporarily the hard way.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#13 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any major television provider carrying NASA in HD. I believe UStream carries it in HD online, but maybe someone can point me to where NASA is carried in HD by a television provider. Maybe there is one out there, but not sure who.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:32 PM

I could be wrong, but I'm not aware of any major television provider carrying NASA in HD. I believe UStream carries it in HD online, but maybe someone can point me to where NASA is carried in HD by a television provider. Maybe there is one out there, but not sure who.

TWC only carries in SD.

Understandable as well, even though they don't have to pay a retransmission fee, they can't make money off the channel either by inserting local commercials, which they can with other channels.

I am the Stig.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,948 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Somehow I got "Beavis" in my head now from the old style Beavis and Butthead on MTV.

Well, he at least didn't spell it "sux"..... heh-heh-heh-heh-heh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh heh-heh-heh-heh-heh.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Not exactly major, but to my knowledge, only Brighthouse carries it, and it's not on all their systems.

~Alan

#17 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

While there is no carriage fee, it is not entirely free. DirecTV still needs to bear the cost to upload the signal to the satellite, and they need the bandwidth on the satellite to transmit the signal back to earth. The government only provides the signal to DirecTV for free. Everything that it takes to get the signal from DirecTV to you does cost money and takes away resourses that DirecTV could be using to provide another HD channel.

I forgot about the bandwidth argument, but that would only be an excuse if D* is maxed out right now, which I don't know if they are or not.
In the meantime, if D* would at least letterbox the channel for SD instead of center cutting it, it would look a lot better. A lot of the graphics and computer readouts had stuff cut off on the left and right sides of the screen due to the center cut.

#18 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:26 PM

Not exactly major, but to my knowledge, only Brighthouse carries it, and it's not on all their systems.

~Alan

Kind of understandable though as they are the cable provider or the space coast.

#19 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,947 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:29 PM

Kind of understandable though as they are the cable provider or the space coast.

Very good point... I didn't even think of that when I posted about it. :o

~Alan

#20 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 751 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

The costs are only fixed if they have the bandwidth to burn. If they don't, much capex is involved. DIRECTV discovered the high cost of taking channels down temporarily the hard way.

Actually, Viacom did. :D
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

Protected By... spam firewall...And...