Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Getting discounts on premiums, how often?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

I have seen it mentioned a few times here that people call in every few months and get the latest promotions on the premiums. Is this realistic to do perpetually? If true it looks like you can save about $15 or $20 per month. Does DirecTv not allow this or is this something that gets flagged?

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,220 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Discounts are always a crap shoot. Regardless of all the comments from those that claim to know, you never know what or how much any discount you might or might not get.

I seldom ask for any discounts, but I do change my programming around quite often and every time I'm offered something. Maybe just $5 or a bit more, but something. Sometimes a really great something, oft times just a little.

IMO, never hurts to ask, the worst that happens is they say no.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#3 OFFLINE   ronsanjim

ronsanjim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 416 posts
  • LocationCherokee Village, AR

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Changing packages or premiums online generally will not give you any discounts. Its only happened once in the last 6 years for me. Calling in and asking if any special promotions has worked for me. I never ask for "discounts", just for special promotions I qualify for.

Sometimes they say nothing is available for "your" account.
That happened in recent months.

Last week I inquired and received the following:
$5.00 off HBO for 3 months
$5.00 off Choice for 3 months
$10.00 off Sports pak for 6 months
Starz-Showtime 2 for 1 for 3 months

Granted, Sports Pak offers very little, but @ $10.00 off for 6 months, I'll take it.

#4 OFFLINE   grecorj

grecorj

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:55 PM

"Promos" are a big YMMV.

In the past I have received:

Free Showtime (3mo, 6mo, 12mo) - many times
Free Starz (3mo) - many times
Free Encore (3mo)
$10/off for 6mo (3 or 4 times)
$20/off for 6mo (3 or 4 times)
$5/off for 3mo, 6mo, 12mo
Free NFL ST (twice)
Free Sports Pack (3mo)
Cinemax/HBO 2-for-1 pricing (many times)
Free TC Premier upgrade for 3mo (once)
Free Cinemax
Half price Starz
Half price Cinemax

I call every few months and ask, "do you have any special promotions for ______?"

IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK (and ask nicely).

I don't think my bill has ever been "full price" for what I get. :D

I'm pretty sure I've had Showtime for almost 2 years without paying a dime.

You'll never get HBO at reduced price -- they'll generally give you a 3mo or 6mo credit for $x/monthly bill if you say it costs too much, tho.

Seems if you 1) pay bill on time, 2) subscribe to a premium, 3) have been a longer term customer, they'll offer better promos.

Most recently I got free Showtime for 12 months. It was maybe a 4 minute conversation with the CSR. I said my free trial had just expired, could they offer it again? and they did.

I'll repeat it: IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK (and ask nicely).
HR34-700 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-46EX501
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Sony KDL-32EX401
HR24-500 --> HDMI --> Samsung LN19A450C1D (only 1 tuner active)

DIRECTV customer since Feb 2002
HD, WHDVR and ICK since Aug 2010
P.I.T.A. since birth :)

#5 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 532 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:39 PM

Everytime my discounts expire I call to move down from Premium. I always want HBO and Showtime but Starz and Cinemax depend on what series they have running. I record so many series' I have little time for the movies. Also, I get little to no us efrom the sports pack.

Each time I call I'm offered something that makes it worth my while to keep the premium package. I don't ask, they just offer.

#6 OFFLINE   LI-SVT

LI-SVT

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 642 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:12 AM

Thanks to everyone for the input. It looks like if I am willing to call a few times a year I should be good on promotions.

Ultimate plus movie channels

One Genie

Two HR21P

#7 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

If you have premiums already you can call to cancel them and they may offer credits . I have been calling in to downgrade premier to a lower package because I don't watch all the premiums. Each time I call to downgrade, they offer me enough credits to offset the difference so I end up keeping Premier.

#8 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

During the Viacom debacle, I called them twice. I got $10.00 off my bill and a $5.00 off for 3 months of Showtime. Called a second time and got 3 months of Starz. I agree, about the HBO. You never get it free and rarely discounted. Sometimes, you can get free Cinemax, for subscribing for 3 months. It still works out to about $8 a month for each service.

#9 OFFLINE   macfan601

macfan601

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:44 PM

The problem with this business model is that it teaches Directv's subscribers to frequently call the CSRs and spin the wheel to see what prizes they can get. Directv treats you like a sucker if you don't.

It used to be a game when buying a new car too. Now most new car dealers in my area have gone to posting one price on the windshield and saying take it or leave it. No games or wheeling and dealing. A house is about the only thing you can really wheel and deal on anymore.

#10 OFFLINE   KAL

KAL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:37 PM

Just got HBO $10 off for 3 mos, so i'm a happy camper. in general, I only call a couple of times a year to inquire about promos. Definitely agree with what some of the others have said here. its pretty much a crapshoot just about everytime you call.
HR24-100
FIOS - Phone & 25/25 internet

spam firewall