Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T New Shared Data Plans

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Available August 23rd.

http://www.att.com/s...C0000PP100000JD

Not sure if this will save me money or not.

Edit: Looks like it might.

10G Shared data - $120
3 x iPhones @ $30 - $90
1 x Original iPhone - $30
Non-smartphone - $10

Total - $240 plus taxes vs. the $280 (including taxes) I pay now.

Dropping to 6g saves another $15

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

What a bargain. $120 for 10 GB of data. So disappointing that this is where we are. A complete lack of competition with no regulation leads to AT&T/Verizon to do nothing but rake in the profits for their shareholders. It's really making me begin to re-think the desire to have anything other than a simple phone.

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

No competition?
I think that depends entirely on where one lives.
Do you really want more regulation?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

If I read this right, it looks like the new individual plan is giving 250MB of data at no charge? Even if that doesn't include texts, I think it would save us money. We're paying $35 for 300MB on one phone and 200 on the other. Add in $30 for unlimited texting and it's $65 before any voice plans. We've got the cheapest possible Family Talk voice and three lines (my mom has no data), coming to about $145 total (+taxes & fees). If we can get 250MB on each phone for free, that would save the $35. But if the cheapest shared data plan is $40 with another $45 per phone, we're up to $130 already before adding in my mom, and then they want $30 per line for a basic messaging phone that I pay $9.99 for now? No Thank You!
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#5 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:53 AM

If I read this right, it looks like the new individual plan is giving 250MB of data at no charge? Even if that doesn't include texts, I think it would save us money. We're paying $35 for 300MB on one phone and 200 on the other. Add in $30 for unlimited texting and it's $65 before any voice plans. We've got the cheapest possible Family Talk voice and three lines (my mom has no data), coming to about $145 total (+taxes & fees). If we can get 250MB on each phone for free, that would save the $35. But if the cheapest shared data plan is $40 with another $45 per phone, we're up to $130 already before adding in my mom, and then they want $30 per line for a basic messaging phone that I pay $9.99 for now? No Thank You!

I don't think you're reading it right. All smartphones require a data package and the minimum is currently 300MB for $20 a month.

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:04 PM

No competition?

I have worked for both ATT and Sprint and I can assure you that with these companies, in the wireless world, that more regulations would help the consumer more than hinder it.

There should be regulations that require, and legally grant, them to expand networks based on subscriber base numbers per area and there should be regulations make them have to break out costs of individual services along with profits on their filings.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

No competition?

Yes.

#8 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 6,012 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:40 PM

No competition?

But with AT&T/Verizon as national as they are, they have set national rates. Now they can adjust promotions regionally, but the rates are set.

The one area where they can compete with each other is coverage. Some areas, like mine, AT&T is better, in others Verizon is better. All depends. Competition though sure didn't force AT&T to fix NYC.

As for the regulation, I am torn. I am all for less regulation on businesses, but I have to accept that some people are inherently stupid. Given that, the carriers should be forced to have clear terms and conditions and rates that the average middle schooler can understand.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#9 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:42 PM

For my situation, I'll save quite a bit of money over the two individual plans we had.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:22 AM

For comparison, I have a family plan - myself, my wife and my younger daughter - all with iPhones (model 4S to be precise), unlimited text, unlimited data, more minutes than we ever use and I'm paying around $180/mo.

I'm on Sprint.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

For comparison, I have a family plan - myself, my wife and my younger daughter - all with iPhones (model 4S to be precise), unlimited text, unlimited data, more minutes than we ever use and I'm paying around $180/mo.

I'm on Sprint.

I wouldn't assume it's actually unlimited. One of my users was told to leave by Sprint for using too much data on his iPhone. At least they waived the ETF.

#12 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

Available August 23rd.

http://www.att.com/s...C0000PP100000JD

Not sure if this will save me money or not.

Edit: Looks like it might.

10G Shared data - $120
3 x iPhones @ $30 - $90
1 x Original iPhone - $30
Non-smartphone - $10

Total - $240 plus taxes vs. the $280 (including taxes) I pay now.

Dropping to 6g saves another $15

You have the price on the non-smartphone wrong. It is $30 for a non-smartphone now.

#13 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:06 AM

You have the price on the non-smartphone wrong. It is $30 for a non-smartphone now.

On the family paln it is still $10.00
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#14 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:36 AM

On the family paln it is still $10.00

I think he was checking to see the price on the new shared plans to see if it would save him money. It still would but $20 less than he thought originally.

#15 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

I think he was checking to see the price on the new shared plans to see if it would save him money. It still would but $20 less than he thought originally.

It would cost us more, we dont need unlimited talk/text.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#16 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'd save about $15/month based on my current usage. I'll probably be taking advantage of this offer. The bonus is that I could add my Tablet @ $10/month and still be saving, but the even bigger bonus is that I currently pay a $15/month premium to enable tethering on one phone. Now that will come with all phones and for free (comparatively). Yup, I'm gonna do it simply because it's more flexible for me.

Also, even at our worst, everyone on my family plan struggles to use 2.5GB of data each month. Since the 6GB/month plan is virtually the same price as the 4GB/month plan, I'll get the extra headroom. 10GB would be serious overkill in my case.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#17 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,628 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

We're currently paying $15 a month for 200MB for 2 iPhones (each) plus $5 each for 200 texts (super rip-off!!)

So it looks like they're raising our data to 3GB shared for the same $30 unless I switch plans.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#18 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

I wouldn't assume it's actually unlimited. One of my users was told to leave by Sprint for using too much data on his iPhone. At least they waived the ETF.

They do that if you use too much roaming data.

#19 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

They do that if you use too much roaming data.

Funny thing is, two weeks after going to AT&T he called me that he had hit his limit there. At least then, he had tried to send a fairly large attachment from his iPhone and it kept trying to send. But I'd just seen them say unlimited, not unlimited when not roaming. Makes some sense, it is more expensive for them.

#20 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

Funny thing is, two weeks after going to AT&T he called me that he had hit his limit there. At least then, he had tried to send a fairly large attachment from his iPhone and it kept trying to send. But I'd just seen them say unlimited, not unlimited when not roaming. Makes some sense, it is more expensive for them.

Yeah here's part of their terms and conditions:

Voice/Data Usage Limitation: Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds (1) voice: 800 minutes or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300MB or a majority of KB.

People use this to get around cancelation fees with them. Just find a good place to roam and stream some audio for a few hours.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...