Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AT&T New Shared Data Plans

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:05 AM

I wouldn't assume it's actually unlimited. One of my users was told to leave by Sprint for using too much data on his iPhone. At least they waived the ETF.

Well, I have myself using plenty of data on a daily basis and my daughter streaming stuff to her iPhone (wife doesn't do much data).

It clearly said on the forms that I signed that I had unlimited data BUT that data was restricted to handsets. If I wanted to activate TETHERING - THEN I would be subject to a surcharge if I went over a limit (which I believe was 5GB but I'm not entirely certain).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,197 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:38 AM

People use this to get around cancelation fees with them. Just find a good place to roam and stream some audio for a few hours.

Very dangerous. You're still liable for the charges, and there's no guarantee that action will get you around cancellation fees.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:23 AM

I still don't get how they measure traffic on these plans. I regularly use 15-20Gb/mo as measured by a program called NetWorx. I have no idea how accurate it is compared to whatever meters the cell carriers use.

That's one person, one PC, no streaming -- only general browsing.

I'm paying $40/mo for DSL (3Mb down) and would like to find a backup provider if DSL crashes, but there's NO way I could afford the cell rates mentioned up-thread.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#24 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

I still don't get how they measure traffic on these plans. I regularly use 15-20Gb/mo as measured by a program called NetWorx. I have no idea how accurate it is compared to whatever meters the cell carriers use.

I'm paying $40/mo for DSL (3Mb down) and would like to find a backup provider if DSL crashes, but there's NO way I could afford the cell rates mentioned up-thread.

As an emergency back up for being able to check things like bank accounts it would be fine. If you wanted to read DBSTalk, watch the news, play games, and other things then you would run into charges pretty fast.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

But is the app you are using able to differentiate what traffic you are using is via a 3G connection and which is via Wifi? With VZW, I rarely use over 1GB of data on my data plan, but that is because most of my data use is via Wifi.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...