Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How long before I become a "new" DirecTV customer?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

Latest post-cancellation offer I received last week was 4 free HD DVRs, $29.99/month for 12 months of Choice, free NFL Sunday ticket, free HBO/Cinemax/Showtime for 3 months and $200 towards cancelling my contract with Dish.

Of course none of this was offered when I cancelled six weeks ago. It's like the retention dept. and the new business marketing department don't even communicate with each other (which I guess is typical with big companies).

They probably don't communicate much. Two different company concerns...those coming in, and those going out. I agree they should communicate to maintain the maximum amount of total customers, that is their goal as a business, I hope.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hopper/Joey need really good quality RG6 and less than 100' runs between devices. If installers cut corners or don't follow the guidelines, then problems arise. Also, Hoppers and Joeys run hot. Keep them well ventilated or add a USB chill pad.

All good points. Cutting corners should be an immediately fireable offense if the installer does it. They are costing the company time and money, and also creating an unnecessarily bad image of the company due to laziness.

#23 OFFLINE   Gone2Maui

Gone2Maui

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Latest post-cancellation offer I received last week was 4 free HD DVRs, $29.99/month for 12 months of Choice, free NFL Sunday ticket, free HBO/Cinemax/Showtime for 3 months and $200 towards cancelling my contract with Dish.

On the Dish quote I got I was told that if I canceled I would have to pay $17.50 per month left on my two year contract. So $200 towards canceling doesn't sound like that good of an offer.

Of course if DirecTV would make me the same offer (without the $200) BEFORE i switched, I would never switch.

I would be willing to try canceling DirecTV two weeks before the Dish install to see if any offers would come through, but my wife would never go for it.

#24 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,229 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Of course none of this was offered when I cancelled six weeks ago. It's like the retention dept. and the new business marketing department don't even communicate with each other (which I guess is typical with big companies).

I switched to FiOS last October. Letter from DirecTV this week mirrored above offer except for the $200 towards cancelling.

After some initial billing problems that stretched over four months I am very happy with FiOS, although I will be a bit upset if FiOS doesn't carry the PAC-12 network this football season.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...