Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish Pause disables ext HDD???

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

After hearing that my position would be terminated in a few months, I took proactive steps to immediately reduce unnecessary expenses. I heard about Dish Pause, and was assured that I'd have access to recorded material on my DVR. Since I have a 722 along with a huge 1TB external hard drive (which contains 99% of the stuff I actually care about), it seemed reasonable and I was depending on being able to still access that huge library of recorded movies during this difficult period.

However, after they activated Dish Pause, I tried to access my external hard drive but the system said that it wasn't activated. I started another chat to complain. Their line? Basically: Oh, we're sorry we lied to you... all that stuff you recorded that we SAID you could still watch, you can't because we're stupid and have no way to keep the external hard drive enabled during Dish Pause, even though it's utterly unfair to the customer and contrary to what we tell you you can do. And despite it being logically and morally wrong, we're not going to fix this bug/incompetency in our system.

For real?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

so if when you called to do the pause and they said the ehd would be disabled too, would you have still done the pause to save the money?

#3 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

so if when you called to do the pause and they said the ehd would be disabled too, would you have still done the pause to save the money?

I might have moved stuff off the ext HDD to the internal (requiring me to delete a lot off the internal but oh well). Now I can't.

#4 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

I can imagine how frustrating that must be for you. There is another option besides DISH Pause that would allow you to receive some programming, as well as allow you to access your EHD content. Please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can go over some more account specific details with you. Thanks!

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

It is a little more expensive than PAUSE, you might try the WELCOME PACK at $14.99 it is the lowest price package and would keep your EHD active.

#6 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

It's not a bug, it's not morally wrong. You were told recorded material would be available from the DVR, and it is. You are asking for a service that requires you to actually get programming. You have to have an active account to use the EHD, since your account is inactive, the EHD does not get the signal to continue to authorize it.
The $5 is not only holding your account, it's holding your ability to use the EHD at a later time. Had you dropped the service completely, you would not have been able to access the recordings ever again including if you get another account with Dish.
Even the lowest package as Boba mentioned will get you access to the EHD plus some programming. If that's not possible, the programs will be there when you can go back to some programming.

You might try asking them if Dish still has the $7 no package fee. (I am not sure they still do) It allows you to keep the account active, and is meant to allow you to add programming not in a regular package, like the Superstations for instance, or the EPIX package without having a core package. But I'm wondering if you can pay the $7, not get any programming, but then be able to use the receiver to watch your EHD recordings.

Edited by tampa8, 07 August 2012 - 12:18 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

I might have moved stuff off the ext HDD to the internal (requiring me to delete a lot off the internal but oh well). Now I can't.

If you had disconnected the receiver(s) from the dish BEFORE you had the DISH PAUSE put on, you probably could STILL access the hard drive... ;) ;)

#8 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

If you had disconnected the receiver(s) from the dish BEFORE you had the DISH PAUSE put on, you probably could STILL access the hard drive... ;) ;)

That doesn't work.

#9 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

For MAYBE a week, till the auths expire on the SC. Not a good idea, none-the-less.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#10 OFFLINE   sremick

sremick

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

It's not a bug, it's not morally wrong. You were told recorded material would be available from the DVR, and it is.

Except there is nothing magical or special about the recorded material. The external hard drive isn't a "service"... it's something I paid a one-off fee to "enable" in perpetuity. The ext HDD is nothing more than added storage space for the DVR, giving you more space to store more recorded DVR programming. Plain and simple. Files played off the DVR's external HDD are still DVR files being played by and through the DVR. A user is able to freely shuffle files back and forth, to their heart's content, without restriction. Files on the external HDD are useless without an attached DVR... they are encrypted and cannot be played by anything else.

To disable whatever random material was on the external HDD while freely allowing what happens to be on the internal hard drive is totally arbitrary and unnecessary. I was told I'd be able to continue to watch material I recorded, and just would temporarily not be able to receive new programming. I was ok with that, but that is not the reality. Maybe it's a "restriction" within the abilities of their system, but then their system is illogical.

#11 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

... it's something I paid a one-off fee to "enable" in perpetuity.

It's that kind of assumption that has you where you are now. It is not in perpetuity, if you drop Dish service you will never be able to watch that content again, even if you get another Dish account.

It also isn't random. Dish wants you to buy programming from them (the nerve) .to use that feature. And that's what it is, a feature of Dish for those who buy programming, not a right.

Edited by tampa8, 07 August 2012 - 06:31 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

The external hard drive isn't a "service"... it's something I paid a one-off fee to "enable" in perpetuity.

It is treated as a service, enabled and disabled in the same way that channels can be enabled or disabled on the DVR. You subscribed to EHD service with a one time fee ... just like one can subscribe to "HD for Life" with a one time $99 fee (if they do not want to make the commitment to years of service and auto pay).

DISH Pause pauses all subscription elements ... including the EHD. I would not expect the EHD to be active "in perpetuity" ... only as long as one is an active DISH customer. DISH Pause puts being an active DISH customer on hold.

BTW: Is your receiver leased or owned?

#13 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:21 PM

To disable whatever random material was on the external HDD while freely allowing what happens to be on the internal hard drive is totally arbitrary and unnecessary.

Agreed. They should disable the DVR playback as well. ;)

Honestly I can see either side as being fine, and the middle inconsistent option as being fine too. I'm sorry you or the CSR was confused during the call. Your original statement:

I heard about Dish Pause, and was assured that I'd have access to recorded material on my DVR.

sounds accurate so I'm not sure who to blame. (ie the EHD is not really on the DVR.)

I guess you could clean out the DVR, then unpause, transfer, pause again, if it really matters that much?

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,900 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

I guess you could clean out the DVR, then unpause, transfer, pause again, if it really matters that much?

I believe there is a limit as to how often one can pause the account. Once per 12 months for a maximum of six months? (Unless it is a second account used for a vacation home.)

If the account is unpaused I believe it could not be paused again until the 12 months were up.

#15 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:49 AM

I don't want to burst any bubbles, but I have seven EHD's full of stuff - lots of stuff - and I know that the whole system might not be available some year in the future. I also know that if I stop my Dish service that stuff is basically gone.

Not that I wouldn't complain loudly, but I know those recordings have a limited life only somewhat under my control. It's a handy feature nonetheless.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

Protected By... spam firewall...And...