Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Question on external HDD?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

My VIP622 has a serious re-boot problem over the last several week.

In the past, the problem was with the external HD. At that time I found that if you disconnected the drive, re-boot the receiver, and then plugged it back in the problem was ressolved.

I tried this again, no luck, and left it unplugged for a couple of days. When I went to plug it back in yesterday, the drive was totally dead, would not light up, nothing!

My question is, can this drive be broken out of it's case, and put into a dffrent case to use with my computer?

It's a WD WD500H which is both eSata and usb. I'm assuming that it's a normal 3.5 Sata drive. I tested the power supply, and it's good, so I'm thinking it's the case drive controller that died.

Unfortunitly, I've lost 3 years worth of movies, concerts, etc.

Dish is sending me a refurb 622.

If the drive works in the new case, can it be re-formatted by windows to be used for data on my computer? Or maybe if I do get it running in the new case, the dvr might reconize it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:24 AM

The external hard drive going dark is usually a power supply issue. Rehousing the drive should restore it to working condition if that's the case.

The drive can be repartitioned and used with Windows but if it still works, why destroy all of your recordings???

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Thanks harsh,

The drive has a external power supply/wall wort which I tested with my VOM meter, and it's putting out 12v like it's suppose to.

I'm hopping that it is the case inter-face/controller to the drive that went bad and not the drive it self. If the controller is integrated into the drives body, then I think it's toast.

#4 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:18 PM

I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but thanks to the kind people on the tube I got all my answers!

I'm going to order a new external case, and hopefully the drive is still good!

#5 OFFLINE   SingleAction

SingleAction

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Update!!!!!

I received the new external encloser this morning, and I'm happy to say that my HDD is good, and all of my recordings are still there:hurah:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...