Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longhorn Network

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:44 PM

I'm afraid you're probably right.

PING!! He finally gets it...

Look I know its hard for you to except this..
It doesn't matter the fact is that NOBODY wants LHC. You say that beIN sports doesn't make sense to carry?? 60,000+ filled up Yankee Stadium tonite to see 2 of the best European teams ON THE PLANET play an EXHIBITION!!!

RSNs with pro sports teams attached to them will always be considered first..
Heck I like Conference Channels and I believe no doubt we will have the PAC 12 Net especially here out west because it is THE major sports conference in the West.. If you are gonna sit at your keyboard and BELIEVE that more people will watch New Mexico get their shoes smoked by Texas rather than a Super Classico between Real Madrid and Barcelona or a Pac 12 Football game between USC and Stanford or Cal or Utah or Oregon or even Washington?? your being a little "unrealistic".. :)

ben
voodoo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   shyvoodoo

shyvoodoo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

You are SO mistaken with regards to Oregon. Guess where the Olympic Trials were held for all the Athletics competitions for the USA team..... Sure, that particular event is not a PAC12 event, but the University of Oregon is sort of known for its Athletics/Track & Field program - besides the Oregon Ducks football team of course.

You also need to keep in mind that there is a difference between "sports they excel in", (I am sure every University has a few good focal sports), and "sports that are broadcasted on television".

Every University broadcasts Football, Basketball, and probably Baseball. But how many Universities actually televise their e.g. Field Hockey competition or their Track & Field competition? Besides the fact that Oregon Track & Field was already broadcasted, PAC-12 is about to change that. They have 850 live sports broadcasts event planned for the first year, with the rights to another 1440 sporting events. Within a few years, they could be broadcasting 2200+ events, which is about 300 per channel, depending on how things get divided up, and counting in the 7th, main channel.

Now granted, I don't know if Longhorn does anything like that, or whether they just stick to Football, Basketball, and maybe Baseball.

Also, PAC-12's plans have been criticized as being "too bold", and of course although most cable companies are on board, and they have the entire territory covered, they do still need to prove themselves.

Personally I think that, overall, the UT Longhorn market is probably too small in both local size and national pull, and they may just not offer a whole lot of television outside of football and basketball.

Additionally, there is a few more factors that drive these kinds of decissions:

- How many existing DirecTV clients are within the Longhorn DMA? (To determine how many customers might want the network and/or would potentially leave because of the network).
- How much money does Longhorn TV want.

If DirecTV has a below-average penetration in the UT Texas DMA area, and Longhorn Network is asking more than DirecTV is willing to pay, that will be a BIG part of deciding whether Longhorn Network is worth it.

Risk/reward, supply/demand. It is all about the deal.

Thank You Maartena!!!

Heck I wish the SEC Start their own network and when they do, they will move probably to the front of the line..

ben
voodoo

#23 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

60,000+ filled up Yankee Stadium tonite to see 2 of the best European teams ON THE PLANET play an EXHIBITION!!!

*bragmode ON*

Pff that is nothing. They don't use the Giants stadium for that? Here, when European teams come out to play they fill up the 90.000+ seats in the Rose Bowl, and it gets sold out within a week. When Mexico vs USA plays there, the stadium sells out in a day.

*bragmode OFF*

How do they get a soccer pitch in Yankee Stadium actually during baseball season? Is there enough room on the grass? I know the yanks are on the road but still.... that's quite impressive.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

How do they get a soccer pitch in Yankee Stadium actually during baseball season? Is there enough room on the grass? I know the yanks are on the road but still.... that's quite impressive.

http://www.guardian....-yankee-stadium

More of a stunt than a serious effort. Like playing hockey in a baseball stadium or football in wrigley field.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:00 AM

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#26 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

Cool video!

But I think we are getting WAY off topic here...... back to Longhorn. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#27 OFFLINE   camo

camo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:30 PM

Some of your points are valid but LHN is pretty much only good locally (as much as the others are) and for about 10 hours a year.

At least half of Texans hate anything to do with the shorthorns. Take Texas A&M they were so disgusted by it they left the conference for better or worse.
I think it was a great move pulling potential recruits they would of never had a chance to get. Guys and gals that want to compete in a much better conference the SEC can now stay near home.

2-HR24-500
SWM Slimline Dish, MRV Ethernet, media share
70" Sharp AQUOS LC70LE640U
55"LG LH90, 47"JVC LCD's 32" Vizio plasma.
Onkyo SR876 SR receiver

#28 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:40 PM

At least half of Texans hate anything to do with the shorthorns. Take Texas A&M they were so disgusted by it they left the conference for better or worse.
I think it was a great move pulling potential recruits they would of never had a chance to get. Guys and gals that want to compete in a much better conference the SEC can now stay near home.

Ummm....not quite, but I can see how someone might think that.

A&M left for the only reason a team switches conferences....money, on two fronts. First of all, it's getting a better deal in the SEC. Also, it would have been very, very, tough to compete on the recruiting front with UT-Austin, given the Disney money that's just now coming in.

And yes, UT Athletic Director Dodds did indeed invite the Ags to come with them and form a Texas Sports network. The Ags for some reason didn't think it was a good idea. UT then went out on its own and Disney threw buckets of money at it.

#29 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:51 AM

In what may be the beginning of SOME kind of movement on LHN, it was reported this weekend that the UT Regents are in "negotiations" with ESPN.

The University of Texas System board met this week and was supposed to address the issue, but it was put off. UT president Bill Powers said that it wouldn’t make sense to discuss it while negotiations with ESPN were underway.

Negotiations? I thought they just closed this deal a year ago?

Here's the link to the whole story from Jack Hambrick at The Digital Texan ....the operative part is buried way down low.

http://digitaltexan....0/#.UDjyREQwRGE

And in a somewhat related issue, The University has shown that it is ready to spend big bucks on broadcasting. It already runs two FM stations, one a student training ground, but the other is one of the highest-ranked stations in the market. Well, UT just purchased a commercial FM station for about six million, with the intent of turning it into a second NPR outlet.

At least that ESPN money is being put to good use! :lol:

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,664 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

In what may be the beginning of SOME kind of movement on LHN, it was reported this weekend that the UT Regents are in "negotiations" with ESPN.

Here's the link to the whole story from Jack Hambrick at The Digital Texan ....the operative part is buried way down low.

http://digitaltexan....0/#.UDjyREQwRGE

And in a somewhat related issue, The University has shown that it is ready to spend big bucks on broadcasting. It already runs two FM stations, one a student training ground, but the other is one of the highest-ranked stations in the market. Well, UT just purchased a commercial FM station for about six million, with the intent of turning it into a second NPR outlet.

At least that ESPN money is being put to good use! :lol:

Sigh. Why do alums or fans think their school is unique? Large universities run multiple radio and even TV stations.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#31 OFFLINE   I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE

CowboySooner

• Registered
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationNorthern plains

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

The Big 12 Network will have wider distribution than the Shorthorn Network.
Perhaps I Misremembered.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...