Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tupelo, MS ABC shutting down ceasing operation

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:27 AM

I'm hoping ABC 33/40 is picked up, but I bet we will get WPTY.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CubGuyMS

CubGuyMS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:51 PM

Tupelo/Columbus Mississippi has always been a real crappy Market. You don't have all of the stations located in one city. You've got WTVA coming from Tupelo, WCBI coming from Columbus, WLOV at one time came from a real small town called West Point, (don't know if WLOV still operates in West Point) and this WKDH ABC channel hasn't been around but for 10 years or so and where are they coming from? Tupelo needs to just get more channels in that area or Memphis just needs to step in and start covering that area. That area of the country is always last in everything.

I agree it is a crappy market. As DMA 133 (I think)...The stations' studios aren't in the same towns but the transmitters are only about 17 miles apart located in rural Chickasaw County (WTVA,WLOV,WKDH is on County Rd 70 near Woodland, and WCBI is off Firetower Road near West Point)...

The two towns have always been lumped together although Columbus has favored Tuscaloosa in the past for analog channels and Tupelo has favored Memphis (they even get some Memphis on their local cable now.)....We are right in the middle in Monroe County..

I would be happy with either WPTY 24 Memphis or WCFT 33 out of Tuscaloosa. I just want them to get on the ball and have a solution before the local signal goes off. I am on DISH and have been batted back and forth this past week between the local station management (The Spains) saying they have notified and Dish Customer Service saying its station management responsibility to let them know.

Where does that leave us. What else can we do. I have provided the emails from the local station and the website where it says it's going off air to no avail.

#23 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 08:21 AM

They might turn on the distant network ABC channel which will be ABC 7 from New York City. I would love for the government to step in and say that all satellite subscribers can start subscribing to distant network service again if we choose. But i doubt that happens. Here in the town that i live in folks here that have cable get to receive two NBC stations WMC TV 5 in Memphis & WTVA 9 from Tupelo. They can get one network from two different cities but Satellite subscribers can't. Now you tell me how messed up is that?

#24 OFFLINE   CubGuyMS

CubGuyMS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

That would put you in Tupelo or some points north....I ran into the same problem with the CW network. Even though its broadcast OTA, I have to pay for it as a Sig View out of New York because where I live, even an outside antenna won't pierce the heavy tree line and the trees aren't on my property to cut. Since CW is not considered a "Big 4" network, its considered optional and thus at a cost.

#25 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationTupelo, MS

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

Any news of a replacement ABC? Count down clock for the college football season is ticking.

WKDH has updated their web page.
From WKDH website:
Southern Broadcasting, Inc. is the licensee of television station WKDH, Channel 45, Houston, Mississippi. It is with extreme regret, remorse, and disappointment that we must make the following announcement. Due to financial conditions in recent years, effective at 11:59 p.m. on August 31, 2012, WKDH will terminate operations for the foreseeable future.

It has been our pleasure to have served you and provided you with the highest quality of service and programming in the Columbus-Tupelo-West Point television market since we launched broadcast operations in 2001, and through the complex conversion to high definition television in 2007.

We wish to thank you, our loyal viewers and all those individuals who helped in our efforts to serve the public interest, for your support over the years.

#26 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

you'll probably get Memphis ABC

#27 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

you'll probably get Memphis ABC

Not Necessarily. In the past DirecTv has turned on Distant Network Signals for areas that were disenfranchised with no local major networks. There are still a few areas of the country that do still qualify to receive New York Locals because there are no locals available at this time. My guess is they will allow Tupelo/Columbus area viewers ABC 7 from New York with the ceasing operations of WKDH 45 ABC. That's just what they've done in the past.

#28 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationTupelo, MS

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:14 PM

Email response I got from Directv today.

Subject:
WKDH ceasing operations

Response Via Email(Hazel A.)
08/21/2012 11:34 AM
Dear Mr. ******,

Thank you for writing about your local ABC channel. I see that you have been with us for several years, we appreciate your business.

You are correct you local ABC channel 45 will cease broadcasting on 08/31/2012 at 11:59 PM CST. We know how important this channel is to our customers so we will be replacing it with channel 24.

Sincerely,

Hazel A.
DIRECTV Customer Service

#29 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:19 PM

Subject:
WKDH ceasing operations

Dear Mr. ******,

Thank you for writing about your local ABC channel. I see that you have been with us for several years, we appreciate your business.

You are correct you local ABC channel 45 will cease broadcasting on 08/31/2012 at 11:59 PM CST. We know how important this channel is to our customers so we will be replacing it with channel 24.

Sincerely,

Hazel A.
DIRECTV Customer Service

Sounds like the Memphis ABC then...

~Alan

#30 OFFLINE   CubGuyMS

CubGuyMS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Sounds like the Memphis ABC then...

~Alan

Wonder what DISH will do. If they let us have DNS wont that affect how the Primetime Anytime records. I am under the impression that the Hopper only does HD for that feature.

#31 OFFLINE   Number Six

Number Six

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

They might turn on the distant network ABC channel which will be ABC 7 from New York City. I would love for the government to step in and say that all satellite subscribers can start subscribing to distant network service again if we choose. But i doubt that happens. Here in the town that i live in folks here that have cable get to receive two NBC stations WMC TV 5 in Memphis & WTVA 9 from Tupelo. They can get one network from two different cities but Satellite subscribers can't. Now you tell me how messed up is that?

Living a bit north of Tupelo, this is perhaps one thing that I somewhat miss about cable -- we had two affiliates for ABC (WBBJ in Jackson, Tenn., and WPTY in Memphis) and NBC (WMC in Memphis and WTVA in tupelo). At least now I don't have to look at tupelo's hideous news broadcasts.

I fondly remember when WPTY was an independent airing the likes of Buck Rogers reruns.
All this has happened before. All this will happen again.

#32 OFFLINE   CubGuyMS

CubGuyMS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:55 PM

Spent over an hour on the phone with DISH this evening. After three representatives finally got a lady who looked up the website at WKDH.com and read the notice that the station was going off air. She seemed genuinely suprised as she contact the Escalations team. Was advised that they were just now hearing about it and would be working dilligently to provide a solution to local DISH customers....Sounded a little canned, but hoping for the best. 6 days left.

#33 OFFLINE   ms1960

ms1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Will the directv feed from channel 24 Memphis be in hd or sd?

#34 OFFLINE   CubGuyMS

CubGuyMS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

I think WPTY is HD

#35 OFFLINE   sr9

sr9

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

How did you guys find out about Directv using WPTY for their ABC feed ? I sent Directv an e-mail the other day and I received an e-mail from this morning that said, "At this time, we have not released information on what if any alternate ABC viewing options will be available when your local ABC channel stops broadcasting."
Sure hope what you said about WPTY is correct.
Thanks

#36 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

How did you guys find out about Directv using WPTY for their ABC feed ? I sent Directv an e-mail the other day and I received an e-mail from this morning that said, "At this time, we have not released information on what if any alternate ABC viewing options will be available when your local ABC channel stops broadcasting."
Sure hope what you said about WPTY is correct.
Thanks

See below:

Subject:
WKDH ceasing operations

Dear Mr. ******,

Sincerely,

Hazel A.
DIRECTV Customer Service

~Alan

#37 OFFLINE   CubGuyMS

CubGuyMS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

See below:

~Alan

WTVA just announced they will carry ABC on 9.2.

ABC will be available on the following channels:

Comcast on channel 7 (431 in HD)

Direct TV is picking up on channel 10

Dish is picking this up on channel 45

MetroCast on channel 6 and channel 706 in HD unless you are in Holly Springs, Ashland, Snow Lake, Potts Camp and Hickory Flats where it will be on channel 11 and channel 711 in HD.

*Reposted from WTVA.com

Edited by CubGuyMS, 28 August 2012 - 04:28 PM.
Change to WTVA announcement

#38 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

WTVA just announced they will carry ABC on 9.2. Considering Direct and Dish don't generally pick up subchannels where will that leave us who cannot receive OTA signals?

!rolling

Well, it sounds from the statement on WTVA's website that WTVA-DT2 will be available on DirecTV channel #10... so it sounds like DirecTV WILL be carrying it.

Does anybody know if WTVA will be providing an HD feed of it to the satcos and cablecos?

The reason I was laughing earlier was that when my locals launched, we didn't have an ABC affiliate, so they imported one from Jacksonville, FL. The following year, my NBC affiliate started ABC programming on their sub-channel, and though they offer an HD feed, as you can see from my signature, they do not.

In the case of Tupelo, replacing one ABC-HD feed with another should be fairly easy compared to my situation, so hopefully even if DirecTV doesn't offer it from the start (if available from the start), they might offer it soon.

~Alan

#39 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 102 posts
  • LocationTupelo, MS

Posted 28 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

As part of the new affiliation, WTVA 9.2 will service the ABC viewers with local news coverage.

Previously, ABC was affiliated with WKDH which will cease operations as of 11:59 p.m. CT, August 31, 2012.

ABC-WTVA is available the following ways:

Over-the-air on Channel 9.2

Comcast on channel 7 and channel 431 in HD

Direct TV on channel 10

Dish on channel 45

MetroCast on channel 6 and channel 706 in HD

MetroCast for Holly Springs, Ashland, Snow Lake, Potts Camp and Hickory Flats on channel 11 and channel 711 in HD

Link to full story on WTVA's web site
http://www.wtva.com/...ugoLv_U7aw.cspx

#40 OFFLINE   ejbvt

ejbvt

AllStar

• Registered
  • 463 posts
  • LocationNW VT

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

We have two HD channels on one channel:
11-1 WTVD ABC11 HD
11-2 WTVD LWN HD
11-3 WTVD LWN (SD)

11-1 is must better than 11-2 in PQ but both are ok. I don't see the point in the 11-3 SD - they could do something productive.

Also, on Directv we have a subchannel, so it does (rarely) happen:
x UNC HD
x-2 UNC-EX (OTA, UNC-EX is x-3 and UNC-Kids is x-2. Kids is not on DTV).

DIRECTV: Genie (HR34) w/AM21 and 1 client.
AT&T: U-Verse Internet, Motorola modem and Samsung Galaxy S3 cell.
LG 42" (1080p, 120 Hz, 3D, Smart TV), Samsung 32" (1080p, 60 Hz)
Denon AVR591, Panasonic Blu Ray, Magnavox DVD player, Philips VCR, Terk HDTVo.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...