Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tupelo, MS ABC shutting down ceasing operation

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ms1960

ms1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

I dont think 9-2 will be in hd, this is no good for people watching over the air. Thank goodness I have the Memphis locals on my directv where I will still have abc in hd. I liked having 45 also in hd for Saturdays college football games because sometimes they showed different games.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,822 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:27 PM

I dont think 9-2 will be in hd, this is no good for people watching over the air.

While it's certainly becoming popular, I wasn't asking if 9-2 would be HD OTA, but rather if they will be providing an HD version of WTVA-DT2 to satcos and cablecos.

~Alan

#43 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:33 PM

Looking at WTVA's news release they indicate that all the the cable channels will be in HD. They don't indicate that for the satellite or OTA channel. I sent a message to WTVA asking if the satellite and OTA channels would be in HD. I'll post their response when/if I get a response.

#44 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:40 PM

The Tupelo/Columbus television market is a joke. I'm glad I live just to the north of Tupelo now just barely in the Memphis Television Market. We get all Memphis locals accept for channel 14 & 50 in HD. I never watch those channels anyway. Tupelo/Columbus needs to get with the program and create more channels in that city instead of being so spread out. I feel bad for friends of mine who live just one county to the south of mine where they are stuck receiving Tupelo and Columbus locals. They don't get any football locally on the major networks in HD at all and that is just sad. :nono:

#45 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

I live in Tupelo and have been getting all the local channels in HD for at least three years OTA with my AM-21 hooked to my HR-22s. The locals in HD via satellite have been available since March of this year.

#46 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Looking at WTVA's news release they indicate that all the the cable channels will be in HD. They don't indicate that for the satellite or OTA channel. I sent a message to WTVA asking if the satellite and OTA channels would be in HD. I'll post their response when/if I get a response.

WTVA, WLOV, and WKDH are fed to Directv via fiber. I'm guessing when they say "seamless transition", they mean it. The only major thing happening Friday will be the powering down of the channel 45 transmitter. The feed to Directv and other companies will not change. I'm also guessing that no syndicated programming will change right now. However, WTVA has said it will be airing news on its ABC subchannel at some point.

#47 OFFLINE   CubGuyMS

CubGuyMS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:00 PM

You will have 9.2 in HD. I asked the station and they advised that they have the ability to broadcast both in HD.

#48 OFFLINE   CubGuyMS

CubGuyMS

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

I can't remember but someone told me that 9.2 will go live at 12:35. It wasn't someone from the station but I guess the 35 min difference in 45 vs 9.2 has to do with the transmitter power down and signal switch.

#49 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:12 AM

While it looks like the means of ABC delivery is being settled, perhaps now is a good time to remember all those folks at WKDH who will be out of a job. Having been there, I can assure you that working in media is tough these days. May each of them get a new gig quickly.

#50 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

You will have 9.2 in HD. I asked the station and they advised that they have the ability to broadcast both in HD.

PQ will not be good for either feed OTA. Cable and satellite should (hopefully) look fantastic due to fiber feeds.

#51 OFFLINE   ms1960

ms1960

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:53 AM

I agree having two hd feeds on same channel not good for ota.

#52 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

WTVA updated the info showing OTA, Directv & Dish would be in HD.

ABC-WTVA is available the following ways:

Over-the-air on Channel 9.2 in HD

Comcast on channel 7 and channel 431 in HD

Direct TV on channel 10 in HD

Dish on channel 45 in HD

MetroCast on channel 6 and channel 706 in HD

MetroCast for Holly Springs, Ashland, Snow Lake, Potts Camp and Hickory Flats on channel 11 and channel 711 in HD

Cable One on channel 12, channel 455 in HD and on MeTV 394

http://www.wtva.com/...ugoLv_U7aw.cspx

#53 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

While it looks like the means of ABC delivery is being settled, perhaps now is a good time to remember all those folks at WKDH who will be out of a job. Having been there, I can assure you that working in media is tough these days. May each of them get a new gig quickly.

WKDH was nothing but a pass through, no local content, no studios, news, sales or anything of that nature. It was ran out of WTVA's studio's in Tupelo. WTVA is owned by the Spain family, WKDH was owned by Southern Broadcasting which is owned by the late owner of WTVA, Frank Spain's son. It was controlled by WTVA Inc. through a LMA, much the way that Sinclair operates the Cunningham Broadcasting properties, it (Southern) was nothing more than a shell corporation. I expect that WTVA found that it would be much cheaper to run two stations on one transmitter rather than upkeep for the WKDH transmitter. I highly doubt anyone is loosing their job.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#54 OFFLINE   dod1450

dod1450

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

The problem with moving to a sub channel their would be no hd.

Not quite true. It depends on if they have the right equipment. Here in the San Francisco Bay area we have several sub channel in HD.

60.1 in HD, 60.2 in SD, and 60.3 HD
7.1 in HD , 7.2 in HD , and 7.3 in SD

HDR-24
HDR-34
AM-21N
ATT uverse internet

Genie Go

PGP: AD5A 96DC 7556 A020 B8E7 0E4D 5D5E 9BA5 C83E 8C92

#55 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:34 PM

Any idea when the changes will show up in the on screen guide? At present time guide data for Sat. shows WKDH still on the air delivering ABC programming.

#56 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

My SD non DVR receiver shows the updated guide with the channel changes. My 2 HR-22s still has the old guide info. and does not show the changes in the guide. If I select channel 45 WKDH ABC I get a blank screen that say "For ABC programming tune to Ch. 10". I have no channel 10 in the guide. How do I force the updated guide info to download?

**Disregard**
I got it. Red button reset updated the guide info.

Edited by weadjust, 01 September 2012 - 08:28 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   weadjust

weadjust

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

ABC Satellite Channel 10 looks much better than OTA 9-2. Watching the ALA/Mich game and getting pixelation during fast action on OTA channel. It's not happening on the satellite channel.

#58 OFFLINE   mcrutland

mcrutland

Legend

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

ABC Satellite Channel 10 looks much better than OTA 9-2. Watching the ALA/Mich game and getting pixelation during fast action on OTA channel. It's not happening on the satellite channel.

Thank goodness for direct fiber feeds. Good to see that WTVA does that. WCBI should take note and offer direct HD fiber feeds of all their channels to cable and satellite providers. I would love to see better PQ on CBS.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...